Shocking Thread of a TE member on T BHP, being drugged

blackbird

Adept
First of all my sympathy to the member and his friend mentioned in da thread, second of all any idea who it is ??

Dear all,

I am writing this with some bitter taste. I have heard these incidents in US but now to hear that it happened to my best buddy makes me sit straight and think.
For obvious reasons, I am not naming him. Lets call him Mr.E (Enthu bugger that he is). He is majorly into gaming and you will see him a lot active in Techenclave and most of the forums and so on. At 25, this guy is full of energy and world at his feet. Goes out of his way to help anyone. His posts are always well thought out, informative, and does everything that he can. Infact, thats how i became a friend to him when I had gone to his house to check out a Graphic Card he had sourced from US even before it hit US market. We instantly hit off and became very close friends. You get his profile right, not going to go more into detail. He is like many in our forum and similar to Venkat CR when it comes to explanation and help.
Two tuesdays before, he gets a PM from a member saying he loves his rig and would love to meet him. So Mr.E, as always, promptly responds and send his number and asks him to call up. They chit chat on phone and the member introduces himself as a Team Lead in a reputed call center. So they decide to hook up on friday evening for a session on Audio and Gaming as both are into it. The member checks with Mr.E if he can get his girl friend along as she also loves this. Mr.E the gracious person he is says, yes buddy pls do. My GF also will be there so we can have family jam. So all set.
Friday:

The member calls Mr.E and arrives at his place sans his girl friend. Mr.E welcomes and they get talking of stuff. The member says his GF will join in an hour as she is completing some person work. The member gives them tropicana apple and KF beer. They get talking and Mr.E talks about his childhood and how his dad is US and no mother and enjoying life here. His GF, very nice girl, also gets into the conversation and talk about their planned marriage etc and serving chats to them.
They all have the Beer and apple juice and some snacks.
Saturday morning 7 am:

Mr.E wakes up to find all his belongings gone, money rigs everything. Still dizzy and his GF still unconscious, rushes to hospital. They have been sedated with a drug but nothing serious. They get treated in OP and are back home.
The harsh reality is everything gone, rigs, money, LCDs laptop etc etc.
The girl is in shock, she is still not out of it and is under psychiatric treatment. She is recovering well and both have moved to Chennai now as we are all here and its easy for them to get back to life. Mr.E has no smile on his face, is always silent now, we are doing our best to get him back to life.
I am little happy with this, why?

1. They stole just the money and stuff

2. The girl was not touched, u know what all could have happened in this MMS crazy world

3. Both are alive with no injuries nothing though the internal ones are something we all are fighting with them
Now, why I narrate this here:

1. We have many members here similar to Mr. E, who invite people home for audition

2. We have many members here who goes to someone's house to check their gear
We all have done that BUT pls pls pls ensure you use caution and common sense before you invite someone or visit someone.

Do not invite/visit a newbie.

Be sure that you know about the person

Meet at a common place first

Do use due diligence first

If you invite someone home, ensure you have a crowd and not just you and your family.
Sorry about the long post, I will be heart wrenched to see something like this happen to my fellow Team Bhpians and also I am sure you are part of multiple other e-forums. So pls be cautious.
Its good to help, pls ensure by helping you dont end up needing HELP!
Please use caution and common sense when meeting people via forums/social networking! - Team-BHP

This is so shocking :O Dunno what to say :|. My sympathies to the guy ,hope he recovers out of this shock soon. Any idea if they could get hold of the culprit or anything ?

The culprit might have known the guy from TE itself, if the guy knows the user id, we can provide the IP's of the last few logins, might help a little. Its a sad thing....

its very bad i sympathize to that member

all te members will have to be more cautious

very serious issue mods must take some safety steps

That is truly shocking indeed and very scary.The worst part of it is that no matter what, it will make you think ten time more before helping anyone, most specially strangers. For the one a*hole, anyone will start treating ten genuine people with doubt, although it can't be helped as you never know. Really sad that someone nice as Mr. E had to go through such horrible experience. :(

I can only hope and wish that he and his girlfriend get out of this traumatic experience soon and find happiness back in their lives.

I really hope that bugger who did this get caught. :mad:

this is why we need to have meets, especially most of us here tend to be younger, and at risk. Think of every stranger who wants to meet with you as some sort of gay stalker :p

Really sorry to hear what happened to Mr.E and his lady :(

I've made very good (online) friends over the last 8-9 years, most of them on TE and we are still very close. Thankfully, no such $hit has ever happened to any of us and God-forbid it shouldn't happen to anyone either.

This is shocking and sad indeed. As OP said, on the bright side only money/equipment was stolen and neither of them were harmed. But this is something everyone should keep caution of.

The id of the person who did all this should be made public. With an ip address, maybe he can be caught. Hope the ba$tard is caught.

Hope the guy, his girlfriend and families of both get past through this soon.

Stray incidents like these corrode the basic premise on which online communities exist. I am really sorry for what the OP's friend and his lady had to go through. I do believe the id of the culprit should be made public, at least so that other members can be aware of him and if possible, some legal action be taken upon him.

Friday:
The member calls Mr.E and arrives at his place sans his girl friend. Mr.E welcomes and they get talking of stuff. The member says his GF will join in an hour as she is completing some person work. The member gives them tropicana apple and KF beer. They get talking and Mr.E talks about his childhood and how his dad is US and no mother and enjoying life here. His GF, very nice girl, also gets into the conversation and talk about their planned marriage etc and serving chats to them.

They all have the Beer and apple juice and some snacks.

Saturday morning 7 am:
Mr.E wakes up to find all his belongings gone, money rigs everything. Still dizzy and his GF still unconscious, rushes to hospital. They have been sedated with a drug but nothing serious. They get treated in OP and are back home.
So the member brings drinks & snacks to Mr.E's house and then does a number. Must have been pretty slick to slip the drugs in at someone else's house, that too being 1 vs two others.

What boggle's my mind is that the perp really believed he could get away with it (!)

Clearly he's accessed the forums from a cafe and not at home unless he's really stupid.

What good are IP's here if they're from a cafe. Without any photos how do they even begin to ID this person :huh:

I'm really interested to see this guy caught..by the short & curlies :mad:

logistopath said:
I do believe the id of the culprit should be made public, at least so that other members can be aware of him and if possible, some legal action be taken upon him
It would help as more ppl could help out, somebody out there might know or could have dealt with this person, any leads will be vital in cracking this case. There needs to be some sort of anonymous tip facilty tho.

OMG, This is really shocking. Never imagined these things would happen in India.

Hope the TE member and his friend get over this traumatic incident soon.

And the culprit is brought to the books.

Back