The Fitness Thread !

went to a gym stuff shop to windowshop dumbells today . thinking of investing 20k approx and setting up a home gym and save lifetime fitness cost.

what i decided - hexagon dumbel of 5 , 7.5 , 10 , 15 kg. total was 6300 for pairs of each. at approx 85/kg. 1 pullup bar at 1600 but scared to drill home to fix it.
A adjustable bench was approx 4000 which had option to do chest press as well.
A 1 metre square rubber mat was for 700.

should i go ahead and buy ? my main goal is to just regain size a bit as no gym for over a year has made me look lean and slim as muscle mass has decreased. Im already fit but yeah wanna regain a lil size back.

I am considering investing in an elliptical/cross trainer. Anyone has any recommendations. I don't want to spend too much unless it is absolutely necessary. I found one around 40k on Amazon with a 9kg flywheel while others in similar price range usually have a 6kg flywheel.

went to a gym stuff shop to windowshop dumbells today . thinking of investing 20k approx and setting up a home gym and save lifetime fitness cost.

what i decided - hexagon dumbel of 5 , 7.5 , 10 , 15 kg. total was 6300 for pairs of each. at approx 85/kg. 1 pullup bar at 1600 but scared to drill home to fix it.
A adjustable bench was approx 4000 which had option to do chest press as well.
A 1 metre square rubber mat was for 700.

should i go ahead and buy ? my main goal is to just regain size a bit as no gym for over a year has made me look lean and slim as muscle mass has decreased. Im already fit but yeah wanna regain a lil size back.
You'll be working out beyong 15kg in a month. What will you do then? Get more? Instead get a barbell and free-weights. You will need a spotter when exercising.

If I want to only do treadmill for losing weight but cannot run on treadmill, can I increase the incline and try doing brisk walk instead ? I want to do cardio exercises. I have been going for last 3 days in gym here and doing treadmill at incline 7 and speed 3.0 (miles?) for 45 minutes. The maximum heart rate (as per the on screen workout summary) was 147 and average was 133. I am sweating multiple times doing this and have to have a small towel with me all the time. But as against running, this does not exhaust me much and I can go on easily. Watching episodes of Homeland (1 episode per session) also helps in distracting me from the actual exercise.

If I want to only do treadmill for losing weight but cannot run on treadmill, can I increase the incline and try doing brisk walk instead ? I want to do cardio exercises.
ABSOLUTELY.
What matters to your body is how much horsepower it has to create.
Running faster requires more power.
Similarly increasing incline also demands more power.

If you are some inclination to physics Power = Force x velocity.

hope the guy shows up tomoro to buy my dumbells.
Anyway now that im targeting cardio i went running today at leisure valley park. Acc to the app i ran 6.8 kms. However most of it was quite painful as it seems my sneakers etc are not fit for running. infact i have no running or sports shoes though i have 8 pairs. Which is the best and comfy shoes for under 2k i can buy ? any brand ? i have wide feet like a neanderthal and most shoes make my lil finger uncomfy and i got a blister on a finger today. Any shoe recommendation for running and gym ? cheaper the better but has to be comfy for running etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1466966641][/DOUBLEPOST]Are these fakes? look quite real. Cheapest online on jabong the springblades are for 8000.

https://www.olx.in/item/adidas-spring-blade-very-comfortable-shoes-ID12DpIh.html#a18deb2129

Last edited:
Buy any nike running shoes[DOUBLEPOST=1467008151][/DOUBLEPOST]Good deals on paytm + additional cashback, try to buy the priciest in your budget instead of cheapest , it makes a lot of difference https://paytm.com/shop/g/men/footwear/sneakers-sport-shoes?=undefined&brand=1455&sort_price=0
I tried brisk walking last year on metalled roads. My leg started to pain in just 5-10mins. When I tried to run, it started to hurt after 30secs.
Is it because of the shoes? Or is there something else wrong with my legs or the way that I walk/run is plain wrong?
(I am quite overweight now. Was overweight even a year back. Need to start going to gym or jogging soon)

Shoes play a huge part , good quality running shoes will make it easier , i used to have difficulty with reebok basketball shoes on the treadmill , but now i use high end nike and puma running shoes and have no issues ..[DOUBLEPOST=1467045408][/DOUBLEPOST]Your body initially will also take time to adjust to any new workout routine whatever shoes to wear ..

I tried brisk walking last year on metalled roads. My leg started to pain in just 5-10mins. When I tried to run, it started to hurt after 30secs.
Is it because of the shoes? Or is there something else wrong with my legs or the way that I walk/run is plain wrong?
(I am quite overweight now. Was overweight even a year back. Need to start going to gym or jogging soon)
Unless you believe in fairy tales spun by our scared religious texts, human being evolved over a period of time adapting to the process of walking and running on dry hard land ... barefoot. http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2007/04/humans-hot-sweaty-natural-born-runners/

Specifically, we developed long, springy tendons in our legs and feet that function like large elastics, storing energy and releasing it with each running stride, reducing the amount of energy it takes to take another step. There are also several adaptations to help keep our bodies stable as we run, such as the way we counterbalance each step with an arm swing, our large butt muscles that hold our upper bodies upright, and an elastic ligament in our neck to help keep our head steady.
When you walk/run barefoot it is very different from what happens when you wear shoes or footwear.
1. We tend to be very careful with placement of our feet. This means typically the ankle joint acts more agile. No more twisted ankles and sprains
2. We tend to land on toes instead of heels. This means no more bone jarring shock transmitting up the feet to knees and hips.
3. We tend to actually utilize the elasticity of the Achilles tendon and power of gluteus (buttocks) muscles instead of hamstrings and quadriceps, allowing us to travel farther with lesser effort.
4. We are more upright and the stride does not overextend = not striking at sharp angle to the ground = less shear on tibia = no shin splints.

So first of all when you say your legs started to pain. What does it mean?
Was it simply because of lack of training, which will improve over time ... or was it painful sensation leading to injury?

Back