The Fitness Thread !

Asking people here who are vegetarians primarily. If my aim is to loose weight and more importantly inches and I am a vegetarian, what daily items should I cut or remove from my diet ?
Apart from this I am contemplating putting a total ban on myself from having chocolates, sweets or sugary items, curtailing fried food to a considerable extent, cheese and butter.
I am not saying I have all the above daily or frequently but I want to completely stop those.

But I realize that some eatables may be something I would be having without realizing they are harmful. Rice ?

Rice is often unfairly singled out. Since you wanna lose inches, I can say from personal experience that you will knock off a centimeter or two of off your waist before you lose a kilo or two if you mix decent amount of exercise (say 45 mins a day, 5 days a week) and cut down on excess calories in your daily diet. Reduce the amount of carbs you consume, of which rice is only one part. Avoiding sugary stuffs that you mention is a must, as is dairy derived fat. I still recommend some amount of ghee and dahi though.

This might sound vague but you need to be more specific about your diet and daily activity levels as well for more useful responses.

So I have been on the fitness thing since January on a treadmill. I have previously done road training only. 6 days a week and have couple of questions about treadmill use and in general:
My objective is not for weight loss but to prepare myself for trekking on high altitudes ( 15000 + feet )

1. Do treadmills in India have speeds in KPH or MPH on display.
2. Is incline of 7 or 10 or 12 harmful for 1 hour walking on it. I feel keeping a good balance awkward at high inclines and lot of twitching in different areas of my legs

My usual treadmill numbers are ( Either I walk or run in a day ):
Walking: total 1 hour at speed 5.5 , incline alternating between 12 for 5 minutes and 7 for 2 minutes ( 3 to 4 sets )
Running: total 40 minutes at speed 6.5, incline 1 alternating for 5 minutes running and 2 minutes walking. ( 5 sets )

Are these good numbers or what you think ?

If I am not very comfortable (or you can say lazy) to "run" on a treadmill, as an alternate, can I put the incline to some value and do a brisk walk instead ?
Also for how much time should I do treadmill daily (5 days a week or so) ? As of now, whenever (which is very less and I am ashamed to say that) I go to the gym (YMCA in my city), I do treadmill for 45 minutes or so which is when I watch a TV show on my tab.

can I put the incline to some value and do a brisk walk instead ?
that's much better option for avoiding stress related leg injuries.
I do treadmill for 45 minutes or so which is when I watch a TV show on my tab.
that's too much for a non-athlete. a total of 15~20 mins of high and low intensity program is much better. high intensity period can be few seconds of running at the peak of your performance level or brisk walk on some incline... and then switch back to low speed running or walking on flat, until your heartbeat stabilizes. and then switch to high intensity. your gym probably would've such programmable treadmills for HIIT (high-intensity interval-training).

and unless you maintain an exercise log, you won't know if you are making progress or just running around in circles, wasting your time and energy.

If I am not very comfortable (or you can say lazy) to "run" on a treadmill, as an alternate, can I put the incline to some value and do a brisk walk instead ?
Also for how much time should I do treadmill daily (5 days a week or so) ? As of now, whenever (which is very less and I am ashamed to say that) I go to the gym (YMCA in my city), I do treadmill for 45 minutes or so which is when I watch a TV show on my tab.

Intense workouts (whatever you do) for short duration is much better than working out at a steady state for extended periods of time. It helps shoot up your fat-burning even after work out is done. Intensity is everything, apart from diet of course.

WHICH IS BEST PLACE TO BUY GYM EQUIPMENT IN DELHI NCR. WANNA MAKE A HOME GYM WITH BUDGET OF 25K. SO JUST WANNA BUY WEIGHTS AND A BENCH AND A PULL UP BAR. WHERE TO GO ? ONLINE LOOK QUITE EXPENSIVE

Intense workouts (whatever you do) for short duration is much better than working out at a steady state for extended periods of time. It helps shoot up your fat-burning even after work out is done. Intensity is everything, apart from diet of course.

Good point. I will consider that. I know that in that treadmill there is this mode which is like different levels in a routine. I think it is written "weight loss" below that. Like it starts at less speed and then goes up for some time then down again and then up again and then down at the end.

All this said and done, I NEED serious motivation. I mean I want to strengthen my will to do this. I laze out a lot and I know that is not correct. Really want to fit back in those old pants and don't want to seek clothes in limited color choices and many a times online only as store doesn't have my fcking size.

can you elaborate
Running/walking on incline helps in avoiding 'stomping' - which puts unnecessary stress on knees. And the problem magnifies if you are heavy. The stress/shock can spread to other areas such as spine or head, if the posture, landing, shoes/cushioning etc have some shortcomings.

You can try it yourself. Run on flat and then increase the incline without stopping. You'll feel less stress on your knees/shin and at the same time, intensity of the workout increases.

How in the world do I motivate myself to wake up 6 in the morning and go to the gym ?
I try to think that I will get to watch my TV series which believe me is a very very good motivation I feel. I mean I really look forward to watching my TV shows as I get no time or cannot watch at home with wife and kid. So gym is the only time when I can watch an episode.
But still sleep takes the better off me and does not let me go to gym in morning.
I know I can go in evening (I am home by 5:15 PM - in US so this is possible) but then many a times my wife also wants to go the gym and then I have to be with my son. Hence I feel morning seems best for me. I just need to somehow convince myself to wake up sharp at 6 and be back by 7:15 or so. Gym is like 3-4 minutes drive.

For cutting, I'm doing HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training, with high fat and protein, low carb diet. I eating about 2000 cals a day. You can check this out by googling best HIIT training. I saw a page on bodybuilding.com that seemed particularly useful. Cheers!

THInking of making a home gym in basement of my home. however it has no air fan to pump air from above nor does it have a ac. will it be good to exercise without fresh air coming or can it harm me.

Anyone heard about Bodyweight Burn ? http://bodyweightburn.com/system/?utm_expid=99930178-69.TaKgt-xWRp6_P_z-grZfhg.0&utm_referrer=https://www.google.co.in
First hand reviews would be great !!
I am thinking of quitting gym and working more with my bodyweight. My plan is to work according to the above system along with push ups, pull ups, squats etc.
Yeah, I wonder why bodybuilders don't stop using weights and concentrate on "bodyweight" exercises ... :)

Sarcasm apart, if your aim is not to sport "larger than your normal musculature" then you don't need to lift weights.
Body weight training may be enough to remain in "trained" state (though please note, this may be quite different from "looking trained").

Running is one activity which doesn't require any weights other than what you have on your body, and generates quite good results in terms of removing body fat and improving cardio vascular fitness. The same goes for swimming, walking etc.

Lets speak specifically about the "marketing effort" of the Bodyweight Burn program:

IN ONLY 21 MINUTES A DAY YOU WILL…

• Burn a bit of belly fat every day… Only initially
  • Experience more energy & better health… Meh, none of this is quantifiable and everyone has his own definition.
  • Reduce aches, pains and injuries... Yes it will, as long as the stress on your muscles and joints is below your training limits (ceiling = body-weight, with free weight iron, you can increase these limits) .
  • Enjoy eating more yummy carbs… ANY physical activity will allow you to eat that much of extra carbs while remaining at the same body fat levels.
  • Without ever going to the gym... Yeah
  • Using your own bodyweight... Great
  • With Zero Equipment... I can see that the last 3 points are nothing but fluff talk, the only take away message being no extra equipment required

Yeah, I wonder why bodybuilders don't stop using weights and concentrate on "bodyweight" exercises ... :)

Sarcasm apart, if your aim is not to sport "larger than your normal musculature" then you don't need to lift weights.
Body weight training may be enough to remain in "trained" state (though please note, this may be quite different from "looking trained").

Running is one activity which doesn't require any weights other than what you have on your body, and generates quite good results in terms of removing body fat and improving cardio vascular fitness. The same goes for swimming, walking etc.

Lets speak specifically about the "marketing effort" of the Bodyweight Burn program:

IN ONLY 21 MINUTES A DAY YOU WILL…

• Experience more energy & better health… Meh, none of this is quantifiable and everyone has his own definition.
  • Reduce aches, pains and injuries... Yes it will, as long as the stress on your muscles and joints is below your training limits (ceiling = body-weight, with free weight iron, you can increase these limits) .
  • Enjoy eating more yummy carbs… ANY physical activity will allow you to eat that much of extra carbs while remaining at the same body fat levels.
  • With Zero Equipment... I can see that the last 3 points are nothing but fluff talk, the only take away message being no extra equipment required

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I do not aim to become normal version of HULK. But I still think that pull ups, push ups etc are more than enough to keep someone in good shape.(provided he/she follows clean diet).

can be said same about non-body weight training also, for some points.

anyways its marketing fluff

Have no time to go to gym. So thinking about buying some exercising equipment from PayTM/Amazon.
I had tried running/brisk walking previously but within a few minutes, my legs felt very heavy(i got this feeling below my kneecap and above ankle). I had warmed up before going for the brisk walk/run but still this happened every time(I was walking on metalled roads and cemented pavements). Had worn a low end Reebok shoe when I went for this.

So I am thinking about getting a cross trainer as that seems to to not hurt the joints and all. But there are too many choices with different price. Looking for something which costs around 10k.
If there is some other equipment which you feel is better for my condition, please let me know.

Note - Looking to lose belly fat and have uric acid level above 7

Last edited:
Back