Ubuntu Fan thread

No need to be on a tab diet in Firefox anymore. More tabs are welcome since FF 55

firefox-55-memory-tab-use-750x466.png

OMG Ubuntu says it's been deployed with latest official update on 16.04 and higher.

Anyone using 14.04 and upgrade to 16.04 via Update Manager Route and use it problem free? Is it possible to go 16.04 from 14.04 without the fresh install?

Any way to stop screen tearing on Intel HD400 Braswell on chip gpu?

I'm using Mint with latest kernel 4.11 something on my Intel celeron NUC. Screen tears badly even though the kernel has official Intel drivers in it. Intel graphics performs like s on Linux systems. I tried installing intel microcode but system boots to emergency mode. then i have to remove the microcode from command prompt and restart machine to get to desktop. Maybe NUC is made for windows os only. I don't want to install windows 10 home or any other windows os because that os is absolute crap and requires GB's of updates and even dies during updates for no reason. Thankfully i don't have a 2.5" hdd to install windows on this system.

I got rid of the screen tearing issue after reading Linux forums and some threads on other sites.
After removing default x-org-intel video drivers, i had to make a new xorg.conf file and paste it into /usr/share/X11/

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier "Intel Graphics"
        Driver "modesetting"
        Option "SWCursor" "false"
        Option "kmsdev" "/dev/dri/card0"
        Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
        Option "DRI" "3"
        Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

This is for Ubuntu 14+ and Mint 18.1+.
Seems all the latest Intel graphics chipset drivers come by default in linux kernel. The driver resides in /dev/dri/card0 i think.
The old xorg-intel-video drivers cause the screen tearing and should be removed.

Yes, similarly, if it does not work in Ubuntu, it won't work in Mint too. Most of Mint problems can be solved by visiting Ubuntu forums.

Ubuntu defaulting Gnome is a good news. Hope some unitary nature is coming up in Linux world. I prefer Cinnamon right now as Gnome seems to be more oriented towards touch devices.

Unity was a fork of Gnome DE, if I remember correctly. Cinnamon is the best thing that even happened for home users' Linux. Sadly, Ubuntu and Linux Mint are not the best friends. Nemo is far ahead of Nautilus in terms of bug fix and UX.

Last time i had ubuntu (14.0 or such), i had installed nemo on it. i was experimenting a lot and trying to tweak ubuntu to my likes and had done it by looking at some guide online. The system was not very stable cause of the constant tinkering i was doing on it.

I'm going to try this on maybe whatever latest Fedora 27 beta release comes out soon. Or ubuntu 17.10 if that comes before Fedora27beta by next month.

Back