What does working in an IT job involve?

Oh well! Interesting that you guys replied,

Well there is a lot of time spend in design time, a lot of brain storming etc, most of the code is first visualized and debate-ed upon, before even the first line of code is copy/pasted or written, when you are working on a big project or with a lot of other systems connected; each line of code needs to be given alot more though than writing the code itself. There are performance, security, integration issues. I am not saying code can not be written without such analysis, but there is a big difference between good, re-usable, and well planned code and simply dumb code. There are atleast 5 ways I can think of writing the same "Hello World" program, but which code is apt in which application is what needs to be analyzed.

Alot of development time goes here before even coding anything. So on average a lot of time is spent here, well most of this stuff is done by Architects and not really programmers, but the programmers do need to think in these lines.

...and I did not even mention maintenance and debugging. which is what a lot of Product based companies are just doing now.

IT job is not all about writing code, it sure feels like one when in college.

But its about how fast you can adapt to different languages, platforms, domains (networking, finance, etc.)

The aim is to get the work done, whatever it maybe.. and get it done fast.

Being into IT in India - there's a vast difference between Service based and product based companies.

All the Indian giants - TCS, Infy. WIpro, Patni, CTS, Satyam etc etc - are Service based. And 'most' of such projects are maintenance kinda activity. Most, not all.

And so, there's hardly any new code. Also, the companies commit very less time for project delivery - just to impress the 'clients' which results in employees slogging - like you read above - till 3/4am or overnight or weekend. And with this 'impress' thing comes the 'uniform' or dress code (formal from tip to toe everyday - etc etc).

The other big companies - Oracle, Adobe, Google etc etc are product based companies

And the new code comes from there.

I was working for a product development in a service based company (Finacle by Infosys - its a banking software.)

I wrote thousands of lines of code (K-LOC
<
) - but most of them in particular framework - a black box for outsiders - so nothing counts.

Now working in some different company/project - and its all copy-paste.

Yeah I'm not implying that I wont have to go through interviews, or that I'll get a well paying job from the start.

What is the most one could possibly earn from a programming/software development job? Are payscales of 10lakh+ possible or one would have to go into management?

If you are looking for payscales, you are doing it wrong.

That said, yes you get good salaries depending on where you work and what you work on.

If you are best at whatever you do, money will come to you.

PS:- As a hint I do get much better than figure you have mentioned but I work on Operating System levels and such, perhaps thats why. I am planning to move out of it, it is depressing.

In Infy, during some meeting with the big guys (towards the top of the organizational hierarchy) - someone asked "why Infy do not focus on new emerging things like say Gaming - which is now a days a billion dollar industry itself"

Reply came as - "we do not have enough 'creative' people for anything like that"

but I have seen Infy/wipro taking up projects from 'Konami', Zynga, Microsoft Kinet etc etc.

this is just an example of service based. frustration is obvious in here. I have friends who haven't compiled a program in years - its not that he dont want to, but he don't have/need to. So, that 10loc/eng/day may not be valid after all.
<

Why it is depressing ? Atleast you are not doing ctrl+c , ctrl+v

Yes I am not doing Ctrl C + Ctrl V, but I think I have reached a state where it is not challenging enough.

After working for a long time, I guess you start overlooking the pay part of the job. Job satisfaction takes preference.

Add to this there are not enough firms who work on these tech from scratch.

#blufox - If you dont mind me asking, What's your educational qualification? Where do you work?

I have an Engineering degree with horrible aggregate, if that matters.

Can't tell you where I work over here but it doesn't matter. All that matters is do what interests you, not what you think will get you money.

Looking at some Infy/TCS guys here, I feel lucky that I was far below 60% cut off
<

Also, the companies commit very less time for project delivery - just to impress the 'clients' which results in employees slogging - like you read above - till 3/4am or overnight or weekend. And with this 'impress' thing comes the 'uniform' or dress code (formal from tip to toe everyday - etc etc).

+1000

Delivery timelines are unbelievable (literally) and I just HATE the dress code.

The other big companies - Oracle, Adobe, Google etc etc are product based companies

Even in service based companies there can be a lot of new code. For example in SAP implementation projects I have seen many good and challenging programming opportunities. But as you said correctly, product based companies are where all the action is.

#kvikram

Technologies can be Oracle, SAP, Some other ERP, Java based, anything else, all depends.

And yes IT Employees are over worked but the average starting salary in IT company is IMO more than any other industry. Also when it comes to IT, remember that as you climb the corporate ladder, your variable pay increases which means most of your salary is variable and depends on your / company performance etc etc.

The best part of being in IT industry is you can get a chance to go onsite and roam the world. And yes you get paid good too. Depending on client and project, the work at onsite can be more or less.

There is no timing if you are working in IT company. The days when you have normal / less work, you leave office by 6, they days you have timelines to be met you can even leave at 11 in night (i know i have done this).

If you pursue MBA you can still get into IT company and get a functional position rather than a technical guy.

Onsite is purely based on your luck.There is always someone to push you and get in to the onsite queue.

Being into IT in India - there's a vast difference between Service based and product based companies.

All the Indian giants - TCS, Infy. WIpro, Patni, CTS, Satyam etc etc - are Service based. And 'most' of such projects are maintenance kinda activity. Most, not all.

And so, there's hardly any new code. Also, the companies commit very less time for project delivery - just to impress the 'clients' which results in employees slogging - like you read above - till 3/4am or overnight or weekend. And with this 'impress' thing comes the 'uniform' or dress code (formal from tip to toe everyday - etc etc).

I was working for a product development in a service based company (Finacle by Infosys - its a banking software.)

I wrote thousands of lines of code (K-LOC
<
) - but most of them in particular framework - a black box for outsiders - so nothing counts.

Now working in some different company/project - and its all copy-paste.

Spot On.Instead on joining service based companies, you could try to join in Product based companies. Of course you must have good Logical and Analytical Skills.

In Infy, during some meeting with the big guys (towards the top of the organizational hierarchy) - someone asked "why Infy do not focus on new emerging things like say Gaming - which is now a days a billion dollar industry itself"

Reply came as - "we do not have enough 'creative' people for anything like that"

but I have seen Infy/wipro taking up projects from 'Konami', Zynga, Microsoft Kinet etc etc.
Always good to meet a fellow Finaclite
<

BTW i believe Infy not getting into Gaming, would be due to some MBA grad chanting "stick to your core competency".

Of course, I still don't know why they are sitting on piles of cash, maintaining zero-debt (which might sound like a good thing, but with this they do not get the tax-benefits of going for debt).. oh and not going in for acquisitions, when they so easily could.

Sometimes I feel they are being overly-cautious. Which is good for stability, but in no way pushes any boundaries.

Indian biggies - Infy, Wipro, TCS have employee dress code. and its part of their huge list of 'Work Policies'
<

Its full formal (with tie in Infy, rest formal shirts, pants, lather shoes) for Mon-thursday and semi casual (polos, jeans, sports shoe etc) for Fridays.

Chappals/floaters are banned.
<

Infy fines employees for not maintaining it, Wipro doesn't allow to enter, in TCS - HR mails personally (dunno what happens next
<
)

Onsite is purely based on your luck.There is always someone to push you and get in to the onsite queue.

Although i completely agree with you about onsite. For me, i came to US for the first time after being in company for 6 years (and my friends who joined with me had already been to US and even came back
<
)and two times before this i lost my chances because of that stupid lottery system (no company fault here). But still before my US stint i managed to grab couple of opportunities to go to different countries and i feel this was possible only because i pushed (and pushed a lot). Else if one just sits there and does his work entire day then you are hardly "VISIBLE" and this means you might never end up on foreign soil but in big companies where there are lots of people fighting for that one opportunity, you need to push yourself a lot and insist on being sent for onsite, else it might never happen.

Thanx guys for your kind feedbacks to the topic,would also like to thankBeing.smart[font="arial, sans-serif"] for starting it.[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif"]I am a new graduate,still looking for a job in some IT company.[/font]

[font="arial, sans-serif"]This will help [/font][font="arial, sans-serif"]definetly for framing my career.[/font]

<

Great thread.

Actually, I was fortunate to work for a Top Medical equipments ODC itself from beginning. So yes, My domain is Medical.

I basically write stuff for scanners. Used to work for the top 5 company, Japanese company, so their quality expectations are astronomically high. Well, Our customers contacts are people with multiple PG's and doctrates with couple of patents thrown in, so yea no space for error. Trust me when I say that. And no, others who THINK they are seen the same, dont even bother to argue unless u have worked for these guys. Then I shifted to L&T. Now I am working for a US/EU based client. Medical again.
<

Now I work/Interact and hear abt US/EU clients. Big shots. Way they work and expect are completely different. Thats what i mentioned abt Japanese to US/EU clients.

So yes, noobies. You clients do matter a lot. Pray you get a "fair" one. Not one that defines perfection. But you will learn like a shit lot with the second.

When I say scanners, I mean MRI, CT, XRay, Ultrasound. Nothing else. Those who you guys have seen House MD, must know the MRI UI. Thats the UI part. I worked in that for a year. SUCKED at it.

Then moved to Business logic and back ends. LOVING it.
<

Basically as a junior, most cases you will be given documentation and drone work. Even if its a fix, the seniors will explain to you. Like maybe at the beginning. Then you are on your own.

Yeas, THERE ARE like a TONNE of documentations to be done. It will depend on the companies you work. Any CMMI L5 company will be having a lot. I hate that part, So i push them to my juniors. Will make them do it.

Coming to coding part.

There are 2 parts.

1. Brand new - It could be a NEW project or a feature extension of an existing product. So you can write your own code with you as the base author.
<
. It is FUN.

2. Bug fixing, maintenance, performance enhancement etc - This is a b**ch. Trust me. Someone else's code, mostly idiotic.
<

you have to figure it out what he does and stuff. See, there are few things like coding standards and formats and naming conventions. They are to make our life easy. but some geniuses dont know, or have very specific/unique ones(meaning they are shit)or perhaps OLD code may not be with it. Then you are screwed.

Like for last 3 days. I had this issue. the naming conventions were so cryptic and idoitic, It took me half a day to figure out what the class structure was.
<

About onsite.

Agree with raks.

I am one of the first to be placed from my college. Joined in 1.5 months after final exams. I am not a genius. but do get the work done in time. till today, the luck was not with me. Lots of people that i work with, with very average calibre, been onsite for years. :. lady luck hates me.
<

Reason. I want them to ask me. I didnt want to ask them. Learned it the hard way. Now i am pushing for it. So getting my visa done.
<
. *fingers crossed*

And also, its been like a year and few months since I been given my own team. Yet to get a good looking girl in my team*fingers crossed*. For me all are guys. I hate that. So I am like a hitler to them .
<
. I am not proud, but thats the only way i can have fun.
<

A colleague of mine, same batch and grade and all. ALL TEAM MEMBERS ARE GIRLS. needles to say, he does the most work also.
<

And 3 years and 10Lacs???? DEAR GOD WHERE?????

Back