What does working in an IT job involve?

How to get into such companies ? They only hire from IIT/NITs right

Well, many of these companies do visit top campuses and offer high pay packets there, but its not the end of the line for the rest as these companies also recruit experienced people in off campus drives where your college, degree, company that you work for don't matter as much as your knowledge/skills.

Let me just tell you that out of the 60+ people I interviewed for a job at my company over the last 6 months, only two people landed with offers and neither of them were from IIT's and one of them didn't even have an Engg degree. Among those rejected, there were at least 8 people who had a B.Tech/M.Tech from an IIT. So yeah, companies don't always blindly look for an IIT stamp of approval on your resume when hiring.

Well, many of these companies do visit top campuses and offer high pay packets there, but its not the end of the line for the rest as these companies also recruit experienced people in off campus drives where your college, degree, company that you work for don't matter as much as your knowledge/skills.

Let me just tell you that out of the 60+ people I interviewed for a job at my company over the last 6 months, only two people landed with offers and neither of them were from IIT's and one of them didn't even have an Engg degree. Among those rejected, there were at least 8 people who had a B.Tech/M.Tech from an IIT. So yeah, companies don't always blindly look for an IIT stamp of approval on your resume when hiring.

But what are the other options for people passing from average colleges with average percentage but with passion and ready to work hard

1. certifications. do they really help?? I asked a lot of people and they said that scjp and all are just to earn money. Very easy to clear it. Someone even mentioned that he ends up interviewing people who don't know even j of java and have scjp.

2. Some people suggest experience in open source helps a lot.

3. Some suggest masters from US.

4. Some suggest MBA but then first get some experience and prepare hard for CAT.

Around me, I have seen people from good colleges only getting good packages. Some of my friends got job of just 10k and then they were fired after four months as company din't have any project(was a very small company). One of my friend got job in nokia and I was like nice bro but then he told me about his package 1.8 lakh per annum
<
. Some are working in infy and cognizant with package of 3.5.

It is not really so rare to see 10LPA+ in the Software development sector. At my previous work place, I was getting 9.3 LPA by the time I had wee over 3 years experience. My present company pays 8~10 LPA salaries to campus recruits. It doesn't stop there either. An architect (which is a purely technical role) at my current workplace gets anywhere from 25 to 50LPA.

There are many other companies that pay well. Adobe pays 10 LPA to freshers. MS pays up to 12LPA. Google pays anywhere from 10 to 18 LPA to freshers. Amazon also pays on a similar scale. Qualcomm pays 21LPA+ although they prefer electronics guys most of the time. Do note that I am ignoring the pay packages in US dollars that companies like Facebook offer. The above are pay packages for jobs located in India.

Don't be deceived by the poor packages paid by our typical biggie Indian MNC's. Even in these companies too, the salaries are very subjective. A friend of mine was getting 7.2LPA @ HCL by the time he had 2.5 years experience while many others at same expr level are languishing at 3.5LPA. My sis gets 9+ at Infy for 6 years expr while there are many with 8~9 years expr getting only 7 LPA.

I know the packs given by companies like this. Was talking of normal companies.
<

My friend got placed in MS in our final year. ~10LPA. This was like 5 years back.
<

They dont have any criteria like that.

Actually companies like that will have a different style of interview.

For ex:.. The person i just referred to in this post said, She was asked to write a chess program in 1 hour. in any language she likes. and there was a laptop just for that. The total things took around 5 hours.

Another friend of mine, he is experienced in things that are AWESOME in image processing. He got a job interview in top semi conductor company. In Taiwan. The total interview was 7 hours.
<
. Yup, he got it. And he got a doctrate also.

What more to say, My second elder brothers interview for MS was spread over 2 weeks. With different people ranging upto directors using phones and one to one interview in Blore and Hyderabad. And in the end with a VP guy in delhi. Always MS foots the biil including taxi and air tickets. He was interviewing for mid management post though. not technical. He went to IBM in the end also.
<

Another friend of mine, got a job in sasken. They flew him from TVM to blore for interview. and then again after getting the job also. Interview was again like a day or so.
<

a Great thread. thnx to #Being.smart for starting it.

here , and in lots of other Places i have heard people saying if you are good at something ,money will come To you,is it Really that guys? the Degree Doesnt matter?

yours Truely is an arts graduate,and have cleared DOEACC A level,all four long years ago,and SCJP Certified a year Back

Some people will remember starting a thread regarding this a while ago

First of all i didnt get called for ANY it interviews,Whatever i have been in,they ask for live projects,which I wont have in the first place because i dont have a job

After trying like anything I Have settled in a KPO with a Meagre salary.and I am 27 years old Now

and then that day two TCS veterans walk beside me Talking i still dont understand the difference between overloading and overriding

Ah, the frustration....

The degree thing. whoever said to u. doesnt know how selection and appraisals work in companies. They matter a lot.

Else you have to be like this brilliant guy.

The problem is that initially when you come to US / Canada etc, you feel you want to go back and all. But after few months when you get accustomed to living here and enjoy the life here (due to whatever reason), you might not want to go back. That is the very reason why many Indians who initially never thought of settling here are now settled. It is like you get habituated to this comfort and ease of life here.

But yes living at home in India has its own charm.

I've been here 7 months, people here seem to have a perception about us, and that seems to be reinforced by the kind of people who come here. Living with people who share your first language and upbringing is a huge plus I'd say. Cant say anything about the future, I may end up never going back!

Canadian employers don't pay programmers anywhere close to what US employers do anyways.

If you want to earn money don't join a Service Industry like Infy ,TCS unless you are being sent onsite.There pay scale is very poor when compared to IB

I've been here 7 months, people here seem to have a perception about us, and that seems to be reinforced by the kind of people who come here. Living with people who share your first language and upbringing is a huge plus I'd say. Cant say anything about the future, I may end up never going back!

Canadian employers don't pay programmers anywhere close to what US employers do anyways.

I think that is applicable if you are working directly as an employee of the Canadian company. Else case is different for people like me who are at Onsite but still employee of their base Indian company.

If you want to earn money don't join a Service Industry like Infy ,TCS unless you are being sent onsite.There pay scale is very poor when compared to IB

Spot On. There is absolute no reason being in Hi Fi companies if you do not get onsite. Offshore pay scale is definitely less.

But most people stay with the company only because of the "Gajar" (carrot) of onsite, a ray of hope they all have (i too had) to earn in dollars.

Gajar is what Managers usually give to there employees.I have been working with different IB's over the last 7 years i have never being onsite but in most cases i earn more than those people who has gone on-site

how are people managing to post such long replies when I am finding it tough to read the entire content??

Might be being an IT employee I feel bored to read the same old life-story again and again
<

Not true.

I am not an IITian, though I will admit my employer primarily hires from IIScs and IITs only.

If you fall outside this category you need to be really good at what you do.

And trust me, IITians are same as us. If they do not work hard, they also loose out in the race.

They just get a headstart in career early.

I did my B.Com and learn about computers especially linux at very start of my career my friends lured me towards other programming languages but i was getting sticked to Linux and it paid off got a job where only B.Tech and Computer Science people were employed after that there was no turning back.Today my colleagues are from IIM and IIT and I'm the only one who does not have that flashy degree.

IITians grasping power is better than other reason being they are being taught very well how to manage things well and they are very hard working.

I did my B.Com and learn about computers especially linux at very start of my career my friends lured me towards other programming languages but i was getting sticked to Linux and it paid off got a job where only B.Tech and Computer Science people were employed after that there was no turning back.Today my colleagues are from IIM and IIT and I'm the only one who does not have that flashy degree.

IITians grasping power is better than other reason being they are being taught very well how to manage things well and they are very hard working.

And u mean to say you arent hard working or any good with grasping.. is it so ??
<

IITians or non-IITians doesnt matter in terms of the ability. its just that extra books that they read might get them some inroads to something that we (non-IITians) learn in our path to success.

Having said so, what you learn or what u do before joining a company is just the basic knowledge that u require to understand the industry standards and will only be the stepping stone. You make your career in your first company where you learn the art of technology that helps you grow.

Reading above all threads, i came to conclusion that i should sharp my C++ and java skills to grab some opportunities..

Also i think there are many members out here who got nice position in MNC's, and damm #Lord Nemessis also interviewed many, i think you all can surely help us aka noobs to step into an IT company, keeping finger crossed for 2013, hope you all remain here so that i can lure you all for my job
<
, my BE gonnna over on April 2013, doing it from MATS university chhattisgarh
<

I'm not really hard working to be frank(I'm rather lazy) my managers says i have a good grasping power which i don't believe but I usually comes with creative solutions to work and challenge environment as to why should i do this.The simple theory which i follow before starting the work is

Why - Why should i work on a item ?

How - How Can i work on it efficiently ?

What - What exactly is needed to work on it.?

It helps me understand my work much better and sometimes it turns out that the work is not even required most people don't challenge things and do things what they are being told so.

The Born Critic title has been earned even at my work place.

My programming skill doesn't extend to more than small programs like matrix multiplication, converting decimal to binary, etc. which I can grasp fairly quickly.
<

What programming in a work environment will be like, and how complex it will be, I have completely no idea as of now.

Indian biggies - Infy, Wipro, TCS have employee dress code. and its part of their huge list of 'Work Policies'
<

Its full formal (with tie in Infy, rest formal shirts, pants, lather shoes) for Mon-thursday and semi casual (polos, jeans, sports shoe etc) for Fridays.

Chappals/floaters are banned.
<

Infy fines employees for not maintaining it, Wipro doesn't allow to enter, in TCS - HR mails personally (dunno what happens next
<
)

TCS HR MAILS.. LOL You must be Joking... I just walked into two of their office to meet an old collegue of mine to see how things were out there, this was at their Chennai Office.. the only thing i found missing was bathroom slippers and being topless, for everything else TCS was a Pity! Messy floors, shabby unclean unpressed clothes people floaters, bathrooms, OMG was that a co--------operate offie or worse than pay and use toilet!

sorry though to be rude to people who work on of the TOP so called GIANT company TCS!

TCS HR MAILS.. LOL You must be Joking... I just walked into two of their office to meet an old collegue of mine to see how things were out there, this was at their Chennai Office.. the only thing i found missing was bathroom slippers and being topless, for everything else TCS was a Pity! Messy floors, shabby unclean unpressed clothes people floaters, bathrooms, OMG was that a co--------operate offie or worse than pay and use toilet!

sorry though to be rude to people who work on of the TOP so called GIANT company TCS!

Well, I wasn't joking on that part. It really happens in Kolkata TCS.
<

(my wife works there)

Any inputs about Cognizant? Is it same as Infy and TCS or different being a US registered company?

I am placed in CTS had got offers from Accenture and Infy, but those had bonds also pay was better.

#being.smart dont worry about the interviews it is a piece of cake, just clear the apti round the be confident during the interviews and you are good to go.

My programming skill doesn't extend to more than small programs like matrix multiplication, converting decimal to binary, etc. which I can grasp fairly quickly.
<

What programming in a work environment will be like, and how complex it will be, I have completely no idea as of now.

+1, same situation here, the biggest program i had made till date is a calculator with lot of functions
<
, can anyone guide upto which level our programming skill should be sharp, so that we can start pushing out C and Java subs

Back