What does working in an IT job involve?

Reason. I want them to ask me. I didnt want to ask them. Learned it the hard way. Now i am pushing for it. So getting my visa done.
<
. *fingers crossed*

This will never happen unless you are those "Chatu" (a$$ licking) types. So good thing that you are pushing it.
<

But as many people tell "Don't worry, you will get the best when you will actually get it", i feel this to be bit apt for me at least. I am here in one of the cheaper places in the US, with huge Indian population, lots of Indian stores and restaurants all within 10 miles), lesser house rent, less petrol prices than most of the US. No state tax in salary, No parking space problems at all. No big city / state (NJ, NY etc) chaos.

This will never happen unless you are those "Chatu" (a$$ licking) types. So good thing that you are pushing it.
<

But as many people tell "Don't worry, you will get the best when you will actually get it", i feel this to be bit apt for me at least. I am here in one of the cheaper places in the US, with huge Indian population, lots of Indian stores and restaurants all within 10 miles), lesser house rent, less petrol prices than most of the US. No state tax in salary, No parking space problems at all. No big city / state (NJ, NY etc) chaos.

Do you like working there? Would you prefer working there or back home?

Do you like working there? Would you prefer working there or back home?

Honestly as of now i like being here for limited time, one factor being money but another being my work hours are very less compared to what i used to put in India. More time to spend with family.

But i have many other priorities in life and hence i do not want to continue here for long. I for sure am coming back to India sometime in this year.

Edit: Just checked, you seem to be in Canada as of now ?? Have been there for couple of months back in 2008 (Mississauga).

Nice thread! Never really understood what exactly a person does in a IT company (still don't after reading the entire thread)

Just a couple of questions

1. Do you guys have to wear formals all the time?

In my organization the IT guys always wear ties, formal shoes etc. But we absolutely do not have any dress code whatsoever.

2. How do you manage the home front? Most of you guys work till 9-10pm on weekdays. Specially like to know how the married guys are managing?

3. Finally how do guys manage so much of money at such an early age? (We,doctors usually start making serious money in our wrong side of 30's, before that it is basically hand to mouth. You people start earning @23-24!!)

Sent from Galaxy S2

Honestly as of now i like being here for limited time, one factor being money but another being my work hours are very less compared to what i used to put in India. More time to spend with family.

But i have many other priorities in life and hence i do not want to continue here for long. I for sure am coming back to India sometime in this year.

Edit: Just checked, you seem to be in Canada as of now ?? Have been there for couple of months back in 2008 (Mississauga).

Yeah I live in Brampton, as of now I dont like the idea of settling here long term, would like to go back to India eventually. Yeah the benefits of working in countries like these are tempting but living in your home country has its own charm.

Yeah I live in Brampton, as of now I dont like the idea of settling here long term, would like to go back to India eventually. Yeah the benefits of working in countries like these are tempting but living in your home country has its own charm.

The problem is that initially when you come to US / Canada etc, you feel you want to go back and all. But after few months when you get accustomed to living here and enjoy the life here (due to whatever reason), you might not want to go back. That is the very reason why many Indians who initially never thought of settling here are now settled. It is like you get habituated to this comfort and ease of life here.

But yes living at home in India has its own charm.

What is the most one could possibly earn from a programming/software development job? Are payscales of 10lakh+ possible or one would have to go into management?

And 3 years and 10Lacs???? DEAR GOD WHERE?????

It is not really so rare to see 10LPA+ in the Software development sector. At my previous work place, I was getting 9.3 LPA by the time I had wee over 3 years experience. My present company pays 8~10 LPA salaries to campus recruits. It doesn't stop there either. An architect (which is a purely technical role) at my current workplace gets anywhere from 25 to 50LPA.

There are many other companies that pay well. Adobe pays 10 LPA to freshers. MS pays up to 12LPA. Google pays anywhere from 10 to 18 LPA to freshers. Amazon also pays on a similar scale. Qualcomm pays 21LPA+ although they prefer electronics guys most of the time. Do note that I am ignoring the pay packages in US dollars that companies like Facebook offer. The above are pay packages for jobs located in India.

Don't be deceived by the poor packages paid by our typical biggie Indian MNC's. Even in these companies too, the salaries are very subjective. A friend of mine was getting 7.2LPA @ HCL by the time he had 2.5 years experience while many others at same expr level are languishing at 3.5LPA. My sis gets 9+ at Infy for 6 years expr while there are many with 8~9 years expr getting only 7 LPA.

It is not really so rare to see 10LPA+ in the Software development sector. At my previous work place, I was getting 9.3 LPA by the time I had wee over 3 years experience. My present company pays 8~10 LPA salaries to campus recruits. It doesn't stop there either. An architect (which is a purely technical role) at my current workplace gets anywhere from 25 to 50LPA.

There are many other companies that pay well. Adobe pays 10 LPA to freshers. MS pays up to 12LPA. Google pays anywhere from 10 to 18 LPA to freshers. Qualcomm pays 21LPA+ although they prefer electronics guys most of the time. Amazon also pays on a similar scale. Do note that I am ignoring the pay packages in US dollars that companies like Facebook offer. The above are pay packages for jobs located in India.

Don't be deceived by the poor packages paid by our typical biggie Indian MNC's. Even in these companies too, the salaries are very subjective. A friend of mine was getting 7.2LPA @ HCL by the time he had 2.5 years experience while many others at same expr level are languishing at 3.5LPA. My sis gets 9+ at Infy for 6 years expr while there are many with 8~9 years expr getting only 7 LPA.

110% true.

Indian biggies DO NOT care for loyal employees.

There are many other companies that pay well. Adobe pays 10 LPA to freshers. MS pays up to 12LPA. Google pays anywhere from 10 to 18 LPA to freshers. Amazon also pays on a similar scale. Qualcomm pays 21LPA+ although they prefer electronics guys most of the time. Do note that I am ignoring the pay packages in US dollars that companies like Facebook offer. The above are pay packages for jobs located in India.

It all depends on the company, what they do and how much your skills are valued. You don't need too much experience to get decent pay if you are good.

I moved from a software R&D to animation - surprisingly my pay went up significantly after the change.

I thought folks considered animation to be a low end industry
<

How to get into such companies ? They only hire from IIT/NITs right

a Great thread. thnx to #Being.smart for starting it.

here , and in lots of other Places i have heard people saying if you are good at something ,money will come To you,is it Really that guys? the Degree Doesnt matter?

yours Truely is an arts graduate,and have cleared DOEACC A level,all four long years ago,and SCJP Certified a year Back

Some people will remember starting a thread regarding this a while ago

First of all i didnt get called for ANY it interviews,Whatever i have been in,they ask for live projects,which I wont have in the first place because i dont have a job

After trying like anything I Have settled in a KPO with a Meagre salary.and I am 27 years old Now

and then that day two TCS veterans walk beside me Talking i still dont understand the difference between overloading and overriding

Ah, the frustration....

Regarding onsite, I had the same attitude as m-jeri. I thought if I work flawlessly and put extra efforts, management will notice that and send me onsite. This is the most shittiest plan you can ever come up with! Learning it the hard way
<

@everyone about to join IT industry,

9 out of 10 people who go onsite go there because they either 1) work hard but also insist on it (threaten to leave the organization etc to put pressure if required) or 2) lick every inch of their manager for it.

almost nobody just works hard and as a result goes onsite...its never as simple as that.

Even my company has strict dress code. Formals Mon-Thu (no tie required) and casuals on Fri. This only applies to guys though. Women don't have any particular dress code as such (like suits or corporate wear we see in movies or TV shows) so they are almost free to wear normal casual wear all week. Actually there is no logical reason for wearing formals except during client visits. But this is one of the thousands of stupid policies these companies have.

One more point nobody else has covered but which all students will hate is - amount of restrictions on your workstation. I am not allowed to open almost any website which comes under discussion forums / shopping etc.. which almost covers anything and everything you will do at home. So office internet is of no use for anything besides work - which makes sense from management's point of view but I hate it. I don't think it improves my productivity even 1%. I do that on my phone when required so I end up wasting equal or more time due to lower speeds of 2G and smaller screen. I am not allowed to carry a pendrive or any memory device or camera. Cannot even use USB charging for mobiles. Cannot install any software on the PC. Cannot even upgrade IE to latest version. I still use IE 6.0
<

And as raksrules said, these companies DO NOT care about loyalty / genuine talent. I have seen MANY talented colleagues leave the organization and many more extremely dumb people hired for higher salary + joining bonuses.

At this one time, I had friend in 1 project which had shortage of people. At the last moment, they hired few outsiders as contractors and paid them higher salary coz they were called on short notice. Then these contractors did horrible code and showed no interest in work coz they knew they were in company for only X months. Then when they were released and project went into testing phase, there were gigantic bugs found in the code. And the loyal employees who were still in project including my friend (and got paid significantly less compared to the contractors) had to sit extra (think 12-14hrs a day + weekends) to clear all the mess.

I moved from a software R&D to animation - surprisingly my pay went up significantly after the change.

I thought folks considered animation to be a low end industry
<

Can you pls elaborate on this? I am also interested in animation since I was a kid. But got caught up in the herd and ended up with engg degree + IT job
<

Gaming companies do pay a lot. I have noticed this very frequently over the years. Unfortunately the domain doesn't excite me so I never took up their offers, though they do help in getting you a bargaining base with the others
<

Nice thread! Never really understood what exactly a person does in a IT company (still don't after reading the entire thread)

Just a couple of questions

1. Do you guys have to wear formals all the time?

In my organization the IT guys always wear ties, formal shoes etc. But we absolutely do not have any dress code whatsoever.

2. How do you manage the home front? Most of you guys work till 9-10pm on weekdays. Specially like to know how the married guys are managing?

3. Finally how do guys manage so much of money at such an early age? (We,doctors usually start making serious money in our wrong side of 30's, before that it is basically hand to mouth. You people start earning @23-24!!)

1. Indian service based companies have that rule. To impress clients. (don't ask me how!!)
<

2. well, it depends - its normally 9.5 hours per day. depending on project/manager/client/load - sometimes it had to be stretched. ppl get used to it. get 'Institutionalized'
<

people working in own hometown can manage, but for outsiders - being in IT it really hard to maintain both ends. Tip - marry someone from same industry. (from personal experience) you docs do the same - I know. many of my doc friends are marrying their colleagues.
<

3. Its just the same old grass on the other side dude. If not IITian, most of the folks starts from 3/3.5 lpa (~30Kpm gross or ~25Kpm in hand) again, if not in own hometown, after the rent/emi/movie/flight-to-home - theres hardly any left for saving. Indeed its a fact, more than 50% people in IT hardly save anything till they get married.
<

Did anyone tried something else other than job??

are you asking like going for entrepreneurship or anything?

a Great thread. thnx to #Being.smart for starting it.

here , and in lots of other Places i have heard people saying if you are good at something ,money will come To you,is it Really that guys? the Degree Doesnt matter?

yours Truely is an arts graduate,and have cleared DOEACC A level,all four long years ago,and SCJP Certified a year Back

Some people will remember starting a thread regarding this a while ago

First of all i didnt get called for ANY it interviews,Whatever i have been in,they ask for live projects,which I wont have in the first place because i dont have a job

After trying like anything I Have settled in a KPO with a Meagre salary.and I am 27 years old Now

and then that day two TCS veterans walk beside me Talking i still dont understand the difference between overloading and overriding

Ah, the frustration....

Frankly, the degree matters - but just to get the entry ticket.

Like the qualifying criteria - some companies even have minimal % or CGPA to apply. (Infy being one)

But once you are on the other side, degree doesn't matter at all. (nor your branch, cgpa etc)

Then comes your 'if you are good at something' and of course the big 'luck' factor.
<

Tip - marry someone from same industry. (from personal experience) you docs do the same - I know. many of my doc friends are marrying their colleagues.
<

It is easier said than done. Also you need to keep check of future as if your spouse too is in IT then she too might have her own aspirations and career ambitions which may be cause of conflct inside the house.

This does happen when you have both husband and wife both from same field and ambitious.

I never give this advice of marrying from same industry (at least when it comes to IT).

I have a seen a lot of doctors marrying doctors, and they being pretty fine, however I haven't seen a lot of successful such cases within IT.

Back