What does working in an IT job involve?

So guys tell me where can I find easy headache-free IT jobs !? One I found is in Banking sector. But no exam near now...

#siril_k - Thanks for letting me know ! I thought there are only PO jobs in Banking.

Why exam was so hard ? You weren't prepared well enough OR it will be like that only ?

I checked IBPS site, currently CWE is conducted for PO. So I missed it :-/

So guys tell me where can I find easy headache-free IT jobs !? One I found is in Banking sector. But no exam near now...

#siril_k - Thanks for letting me know ! I thought there are only PO jobs in Banking.

Why exam was so hard ? You weren't prepared well enough OR it will be like that only ?

I checked IBPS site, currently CWE is conducted for PO. So I missed it :-/

Well the exam wasnt hard at all! it was relatively easy compared to GATE etc, but the problem was, 200 MCQ in 120 Mins that too ones which had huge English Paragraphs & 10 Questions each, maths which reqd heavy calculations but no real tough as Engg Maths, IT part was almost walkthrough for CS/IT students as most of it was DB, SQL, Internet, Basics & reasoning also was moderate.

However real problem was time allocated, its takes on an Avg 5 sec to properly darken a Circle on OMR Sheet, so answer 200 MCQ you need (200*5)Sec ~ 17 mins which means time available per Question is less than a min so Maths & English part really makes it difficult.

Also IBPS score has cut-off for each section, so you have to score min marks in each of 4 sections of 50 marks each; 1 Mark for Correct answer & -0.25 for Wrong answer. So this test was really grueling but not tough at all.

If you had prepared for GATE / CAT / CET / CMAT then the preparation was enough for this exam too.

^Any idea when would be next exam ?

& thanks for sharing your experience
<

So IT job sucks

Nah it doesn't suck. If you find yourselves working ungodly hours, then just get off the project. Anyways, most jobs will require you to work 8-10 hours.

Couple of my roommates left an IT job, went to a very well known core company. Took 2 months for one of them to quit that and return. Could not handle the way things worked in a govt office.

A manager friend at a leading Indian car manufacturer works weekends, and on many an occasions, Sundays.

Another one who's interning at NYSE said that he gets things thrown at him if his sentences are too long while talking to his boss :p

Architects, Bankers, Network Planners everybody works their ass off.

In fact, compared to these, a career in IT is probably easy money. Which is this industry's greatest pull.

But to really do well for yourself you'll require same amount of initiative and ambition.

Point is, all jobs are challenging, no point in having preconceived notions.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

One of my maternal uncle started business with just 10k approx 10 yrs ago and now he's owning assets worth 100cr !
<
Whenever I visit his home, the only thing in my mind comes is money!

No job for me!

There's a difference between a "job" and "work culture". In India, its this "work culture" which sucks rather than the job. IT is one of the most satisfying fields if you have a knack for it. However, here you are expected to work for 8-10 hours minimum and are also expected to finish your work for the day before leaving, no matter even if it goes on well into the night. None of your firang counterparts will ever do this. If they're working extra, they will get paid for it. No one can expect them to sacrifice on their personal time or their weekends. Here it is taken for granted that you WILL do it.

Nice Thread.Would love to hear about the hardware side of the industry too.

What does a Network Engineer do?

What do System Administrators do?

^ AFAIK, Network engineers and System Admins handles the IT infrastructures.

It can be company internal - eg with 30K ppl seating in same campus (Infy b'lore) a very very huge networking requires.
<

or it can be for other company/client - those which are non-technical company but need IT infrastructure.

In 'most' companies, Windows is primarily used.

And if needed work is done in 'Unix' servers - and here come Unix Admins.

The network related things (CCNA or those protocol stuffs) are also used in some development jobs.

For those telecom companies etc.

well, these are what I am aware of. there might be more into these.

^ AFAIK, Network engineers and System Admins handles the IT infrastructures. It can be company internal - eg with 30K ppl seating in same campus (Infy b'lore) a very very huge networking requires.
<
or it can be for other company/client - those which are non-technical company but need IT infrastructure. In 'most' companies, Windows is primarily used. And if needed work is done in 'Unix' servers - and here come Unix Admins. The network related things (CCNA or those protocol stuffs) are also used in some development jobs. For those telecom companies etc. well, these are what I am aware of. there might be more into these.

Adding more to this.. As #[member='mathrisk'] said, there are admins who help us (software professionals) with our day to day activities. Its like, if a server goes down, its the admin who come into the rescue and help us regarding this. the admins setup the servers for us and we require thier help whenever we want to add or alter the users.

A network engineer also does similar work but the difference being admins are specific to boxes or server. Example - Unix admin is different from Mainframes admin.

In case of network engineers, their primary work deals with setting up the desktop computers for the employees of the organization. they deal with our work machines on a day to day basis and help us with the workstations.

There are 3 types of System Engineers:

1. L1: These guys generally handle the hardware part. They install new servers, upgrade firmwares, configure RAID, do the initial OS installation, RAM upgrades, faulty parts RMA.

2. L2: These guys are generally responsible for the services that are hosted on the servers. Be it a domain controller or a SQL server. These people seldomly touch the actual server.

3. L3: These guys are rare and highly paid. There are generally only 1 or 2 of these people in a group. They are highly informed and know the in and out of a server along with its service.

Same applies to any other admin. There might be other levels too but I'm not aware of it. And what I have listed above is the general idea of system admins it may or may not apply in all cases.

Back