Budget 71-90K 13 inch Laptop with good battery backup

technofast

Huh?
Adept
I am looking to buy laptop for my daughter and she has zeroed it on the below model. I checked the same model with Croma for touch and feel of the laptop and it is sleek and good. Croma has offered 1K less than Amazon price. Please suggest if there are any other models other than this with same specs and cheaper price. The screen size needs to be 12 or 13 inch only.

if windows and touchscreen is not a requirement, look at the new macbook air with M1. 81.4k with student discount + HDFC discount (offline only). completely destroys all other laptops in the same range.

if windows and touchscreen is not a requirement, look at the new macbook air with M1. 81.4k with student discount + HDFC discount (offline only). completely destroys all other laptops in the same range.
Ready for a thermo nuclear war, this thread will soon become Apple vs Windows topic [emoji1787]

M1 is a great chip inbtw, go for it if budget permits [emoji106]

Best features of the apple hardware on new silicon is the amazing 15 hour battery life and instant wake feature. Just these two things would completely redefine the laptop experience for me. I am tired of lugging the charger everywhere (couch to desk to bed these days).

Although do keep in mind that since MB Air does not have a fan, it might struggle with performance throttling on sustained loads.

Get the new Air. Of course haven't seen one yet, but from the reviews it looks very promising.
Bootcamp is something I would be slightly worried about.
If your daughter doesn't need a Windows specific software, and mostly works inside the browser, no ultrabook will come close to the M1 Air.
If not travelling, would have bought one by now, for sure.
If your daughter is the creative type, please get her a Mac.
We may argue endlessly about Windows vs Mac, but anybody who has used Mac for long time will attest to the fact that the free software that comes with a Mac are just brilliant ( Garage Band, imovie, the office suit ,even the Photo app nowadays and Mainstage) and Apple continues to improve them ( GarageBand now has the Logic's virtual drummer...imagine that in a free DAW)
This is where Windows fail disappointingly. Other than the OS, there isn't a single decent program for normal usage...not even a pdf reader!!
I had to give up on Macs because of their port situation, but the operating system and free softwares are just awesome.
Even the paid apps like Logic Pro or FCPX are significantly cheaper than similar Windows programs.
Imagine LPX ( the most complete DAW) costs 200 USD, compare it with Cubase Pro or the complete Studio One...costs 4 times more.

Get the new Air. Of course haven't seen one yet, but from the reviews it looks very promising.
Bootcamp is something I would be slightly worried about.
If your daughter doesn't need a Windows specific software, and mostly works inside the browser, no ultrabook will come close to the M1 Air.
If not travelling, would have bought one by now, for sure.
If your daughter is the creative type, please get her a Mac.
We may argue endlessly about Windows vs Mac, but anybody who has used Mac for long time will attest to the fact that the free software that comes with a Mac are just brilliant ( Garage Band, imovie, the office suit ,even the Photo app nowadays and Mainstage) and Apple continues to improve them ( GarageBand now has the Logic's virtual drummer...imagine that in a free DAW)
This is where Windows fail disappointingly. Other than the OS, there isn't a single decent program for normal usage...not even a pdf reader!!
I had to give up on Macs because of their port situation, but the operating system and free softwares are just awesome.
Even the paid apps like Logic Pro or FCPX are significantly cheaper than similar Windows programs.
Imagine LPX ( the most complete DAW) costs 200 USD, compare it with Cubase Pro or the complete Studio One...costs 4 times more.
Thank you for the detailed and some specific advise on the MAC. It makes sense to buy the MAC now as the price difference is very negligible. My daughter will leave for UK for her higher studies in couple of months time. Probably would have got it through Rahul shipped from US since I would have got a better price with the Thanks giving/black friday sale but I am not sure when it will reach India.
How do I get the Student discount?

Thank you for the detailed and some specific advise on the MAC. It makes sense to buy the MAC now as the price difference is very negligible. My daughter will leave for UK for her higher studies in couple of months time. Probably would have got it through Rahul shipped from US since I would have got a better price with the Thanks giving/black friday sale but I am not sure when it will reach India.

How do I get the Student discount?

Don't know any sale on new MacBook M1 even now due to blackfriday. In US the base model is $999 plus taxes. Even considering 8% tax, or is around $1080 if you were to buy in US. This is around 80K. Now add shipping and customs to India and price would easily go above indian MRP of ₹93000.

Also your daughter may be able to get edu discount in India which means around 10K less.

I am not a student and neither is anyone in my home. Who qualifies as a student? I have neighbor who goes to school and is in 10th std.
I would love to avail student pricing + HDFC if there is a way I can.

I am not a student and neither is anyone in my home. Who qualifies as a student? I have neighbor who goes to school and is in 10th std.
I would love to avail student pricing + HDFC if there is a way I can.

i think any school/college ID would do.

student + hdfc can be availed only at offline stores. student discount online is 10%, offline is 6%.

Student discount is different online and offline? Also HDFC I guess is 6K additional discount, right?
yes it’s different. you can’t club both discounts together online, but you may do so offline. the reason being student discount is only 6% offline whereas it’s already 10% off online.

offline price after discounts: 81,400
online: 83,650.

What's the laptop going to be used for? I think its best if she buys one from the UK once there.
Purely for studying and Project works and not sure how the price works out in UK. It should be more than the US price and also the rupee pound/euro conversion might not work out.
I'm tempted to buy the Macbook air posted on sale thread for 62K but not sure why the warranty cannot be applied by the seller.

Purely for studying and Project works and not sure how the price works out in UK. It should be more than the US price and also the rupee pound/euro conversion might not work out.
I'm tempted to buy the Macbook air posted on sale thread for 62K but not sure why the warranty cannot be applied by the seller.
Can you tell what softwares will be used. For studying and project work can mean anything. Also, if it is the generic stuff like making PPTs or writing assignments on the laptop, then why spend so much. Any basic laptop will be able to do that with ease.

Get the M1 Air. Good battery life helps a lot for classes. It will easily last a student's work day consistently.
And it's cheaper than XPS13, well specced Gram 13 ( that's possibly the lightest option available)
I

Can you tell what softwares will be used. For studying and project work can mean anything. Also, if it is the generic stuff like making PPTs or writing assignments on the laptop, then why spend so much. Any basic laptop will be able to do that with ease.
Yes, definitely a basic laptop would do but my daughter is fixed on this laptop or Mac air. However, I did not find any Ultrabook for less than 70K to 80K

Nothing from Acer or Asus? They usually have relatively inexpensive thin and light laptops.
70-80k is a lot of money for regular usage laptop.
Can she do her works with ipad air, pencil and the keyboard? Lot of my students are using ipad with pencil.

Back