Budget 0-20k 130 PCs for light office work - 16K budget

silverbyte

Disciple
  1. Q: What is your budget?
    • K
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • none
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • none
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • no preference - prefer 4GB ram
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • final
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi/Noida
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • no
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • light office work on Ubuntu - firefox + Openoffice
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • none
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • none
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. 15-17 inch monitor
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • no
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Ubuntu 12.04

Hi guys,
we are planning to buy about 130 machines for my office. We are NOT planning thin clients or blades. These machines will include LCD + mouse+keyboard, but not UPS. I'm open to using AMD integrated motherboards if there is cost savings. I would prefer 4GB of RAM (lots of Firefox tabs are usually open), but I'll live with 2 GB.

Also, I will be very obliged if there are any recommendations of a vendor from Nehru Place who can supply these for us AND give AMC support. Prefer someone who has good reputation.
thanks!

Intel g620- 3.3k
ASUS P8H61-M LX Motherboard- 2.9k
transend 4 gb ddr3-1k
asus dvd writer 24b5st-1k
Iball or any local cabinet and 450w smps-1k
Benq 15.6 inch led-4k
Western digital 500gb- 3k total goes - 15.2k
I think it will easily suffice ur needs

viveksome - thanks for the info. I dont even need DVD writer, so I can reduce 1K there. Can you recommend a cabinet+smps at the 1K level that I should be opting for. I'm trying to have a little reliability in the SMPS (with my cost limitation).

guys any other configs - AMD related perhaps ? Looking for a couple of different options so that I can make a judicious decision.

BTW, I'm planning to have wifi in these desktops - possibly through USB dongle (whatever costs less).

Silverbyte , as u have the price reduced to 14.2 k then. So still saving 1.8. About smps get any 450w of indian brands like intex etc priced at most 500 bucks for sure, though i dont have much info.
Obviously its recommended to have a good psu u can get a cooler master 350w at 1.5k or corsair ones upto 2k. But as u would be probably using all these stuffs in some type of firm u must be getting some large stabilisers to to ensure power stability.
So local smps should run fine.
Cabinets i dont have much knowledge but i would prefer u visit a local dealer and get any at 0.5 to 0.8 k..
As per me, Amd cpus wont be recomended as they(probably fx) will be costly by 2k at least(fx 4100-6k), certainly it may perform better but as per ur use u wont see any performance difference

Can you recommend a cabinet+smps at the 1K level that I should be opting for. I'm trying to have a little reliability in the SMPS (with my cost limitation).

guys any other configs - AMD related perhaps ? Looking for a couple of different options so that I can make a judicious decision.

BTW, I'm planning to have wifi in these desktops - possibly through USB dongle (whatever costs less).

You cannot get a cabinet + SMPS under 1000/- and expect a modicum of reliability.

Get a cheap cabinet from -- iBall, Zebronics, FronTech.

For the SMPS do not look at Cooler Master eXtreme Pro / Thunder series OR Corsair VS, go for this --> FSP Saga II 400W.

AMD CPU's are not worth at such cheap price points, they are mostly older Athlon IIx2's / IIx3's which cannot compete vs. Intel's Pentium dual-cores.

This is what I suggest --
Intel Pentium G530 ~2500/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Corsair ValueRAM 4GB x1 ~1100/- (compared to Transcend better after sales)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~3000/- (maybe because you're buying in bulk the dealer will sell you at ~2700/-)
Cheap cabinet as per your liking -->950/-
FSP Saga II 400W ~2000/-
LG / DeLL / SAMSUNG 18.5" ~5500/-

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

About smps get any 450w of indian brands like intex etc priced at most 500 bucks for sure, though i dont have much info.

Obviously its recommended to have a good psu u can get a cooler master 350w at 1.5k or corsair ones upto 2k. But as u would be probably using all these stuffs in some type of firm u must be getting some large stabilisers to to ensure power stability.

So local smps should run fine.

Avoid cheap Cooler Master Thunder / eXtreme Pro series and Corsair VS class SMPS. They are useless and made to a cost which make them not at all worth their price tag.

To know what cheap SMPS can do to your PC Google the following -- "Death of a gutless wonder Review Part I / II -- Johnny Guru."

You cannot get a cabinet + SMPS under 1000/- and expect a modicum of reliability.

This is what I suggest --
Intel Pentium G530 ~2500/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Corsair ValueRAM 4GB x1 ~1100/- (compared to Transcend better after sales)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~3000/- (maybe because you're buying in bulk the dealer will sell you at ~2700/-)
Cheap cabinet as per your liking -->950/-
FSP Saga II 400W ~2000/-
LG / DeLL / SAMSUNG 18.5" ~5500/-

"
@ALPHA17 - you have overshot the budget I must say - your config is standing at 19550. My top is 16K. Anything better possible ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Replace CPU + motherboard with AMD Fusion combo @4k. Save 3k. Performance will suffer but still vastly better than any ARM CPUs that you were looking at.
Replace PSU with antec basiq 350. Save 200.
Replace hard drive with 250 GB, save 200 more.

@ALPHA17 - you have overshot the budget I must say - your config is standing at 19550. My top is 16K. Anything better possible ?

Go for a smaller monitor? 15.6" in-place of the 18" model.

Corsair ValueRAM 2GB x1 ~700/-, instead of the 4GB stick.

Also please factor in that such bulk purchases give you plenty of negotiation heft vis-á-vis the dealer.

Any pan-India site from where this can be picked up? Will be great to integrate into the PC buying guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replace CPU + motherboard with AMD Fusion combo @4k. Save 3k. Performance will suffer but still vastly better than any ARM CPUs that you were looking at.
Replace hard drive with 250 GB, save 200 more.

Can you give me an example of a AMD fusion combo that is closest to Intel G620 based config ?

That would be a big help. thanks!

Can you give me an example of a AMD fusion combo that is closest to Intel G620 based config ?

That would be a big help. thanks!

There is no AMD Fusion desktop that can even come close to the price and performance balance of the Intel configuration that we have suggested you.

AMD APU motherboard (chipset) are expensive compared to Intel, that has a very good budget processor (Intel Pentium G620 / G530) and an excellent motherboard in the GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H.

There is no AMD Fusion desktop that can even come close to the price and performance balance of the Intel configuration that we have suggested.

Strongly disagree. If you have 4k for processor + motherboard + graphics, Intel gives you atom and amd gives you 4 times x86 performance and 20 times graphics performance in last generation fusion combo with higher RAM support and typically higher number of SATA ports and lot better Linux drivers than powervr Intel atom. AMD beats Intel at this price point handily. Fusion Llano performance is enough for a regular user, Atom's is not (yet, could be with the coming 22nm design).

Intel gives you 4 times the x86 performance at 7k, but that is irrelevant as there is no extra 3k to be spent.

Strongly disagree. If you have 4k for processor + motherboard + graphics, Intel gives you atom and amd gives you 4 times x86 performance and 20 times graphics performance in last generation fusion combo with higher RAM support and typically higher number of SATA ports and lot better Linux drivers than powervr Intel atom. AMD beats Intel at this price point handily. Fusion Llano performance is enough for a regular user, Atom's is not (yet, could be with the coming 22nm design).

Intel gives you 4 times the x86 performance at 7k, but that is irrelevant as there is no extra 3k to be spent.

Are you talking about Fusion, the E350 platform.

Also, taking into account how long these PC's have to soldier on, I will throw in my lot with a cheap Intel Pentium G system rather than AMD's Brazos solution.

Platform cost is about same, AMD Fusion board costs close to ~5500/- + 700/- (for RAM) = 6200/- -->6500/- (as prices are not uniform).

Intel Pentium G = 2500/- + 4500/- (for motherboard) + 700/- (for RAM) ~7700/- for this setup.

AMD E-350 vs. Intel Pentium G-620 (could not find the lower clocked G530)

Performance wise we know, what is what. So no point elaborating on that front. Cheers!

Gigabyte E350N Motherboard: Flipkart.com

With well known high flipkart prices - 4100 shipped.

How long? No known significant performance effect of age on processors Is CPU Performance Affected by Age? - How-To Geek -

Well pricing is good.

What I meant by the age is that the software become relatively heavier and bloated as time goes by and seriously a second hand Intel Core 2Duo / Dual-core system is something I would advocate in the long run instead of the Brazos setup, that is a net-top / portable solution not a desktop replacement.

Back