Budget 90k+ 1440p Dual Monitor - Huge Storage/NAS ? - Gaming Build (Part by Part)

1. What is your budget?
    • 90+K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • none
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • My mouse , worn our mouse pad and cosmic byte controller
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FhwJy4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ( dont know whether this good, selected from partpicker based on popularity)
      Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard (Still confused which B550 Board to choose , if price is good probably even X570 could be selected.)
      Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (going for 4 stick after recent videos showing there is slight improvement when working with 4 sticks)
      Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
      Storage: Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
      Storage: Western Digital Black 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
      Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card ( Again split between Nvidia 3080 and AMD Radeon 6800XT)
      PSU : SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Probably in 850 Gold rated one, this or EVGA 850 W) , should i go for platinum certified ?)
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • I think This will be my driver for next 3-4 years.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Most of them will be got from U.S when my brother returns.. Suggestion needed which items can be brought here in india
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes , like for storage , PSU , Case (if its good)
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Office related work + survillence (second monitor)
    • NAS - will it be possible ?
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching UHD movies and streaming to other TV/Android box if needed
    • Huge storage device..
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None so far
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Have been stuck with 720p for long time , so will be pumping nearly all games to max
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 2560 x 1440
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Possibly
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64 bit

Here are my issues :

1. I am not in a hurry to build the pc , since it is all based on my brother return and how much he can buy from there. But till then , should i wait for the items to reach or shall i start buying few things from the above list now itself ?
2. Which motherboard would be good ? I am looking for a board which can support 4 bays of 3.5 inch mechanical storage . As you can see , i am planning for a really fast ssd for boot , another slower but slightly more storage ssd as secondary drive to run games of it , and third is HDD for massive storage. I need a board which can also be something like NAS.. Also since i am going for NAS like setup , should i look for 2.5 or 5 Gb ethernet or 10 GB ethernet ? I am not particular about PCI-E slots , just want to run my GPU and two SSD .. Also I am pretty confused with which USB 3 to go for and how many i should look for. Since as of now my OP7 Pro has USB C , but will be helpful ? Also what other peripheral support USB 3.2/3.1 (whatever crazy naming...) ?
3. Which GPU ? Confused on both..
4. Which Case should i go for (MID TOWER ONLY)? My house is a dust magnet and have a lovely Golden retriever .. so Suggest a case which has good airflow + filter + RGGGBBBBBBBBbb.... :D
5. With the above build , what extra cables / connectors should i get since i will be building the PC on my own. I am planning for custom cables.. along with it what should i get ?
6. Suggest on RGB case fans too . Which ecosystem should i stick to (corsair or others? ) ? Software and hardware wise ?
7. Suggest a good 2.1 desktop speakers as well.
8. I want to go with two monitor setup , already eyeing on 1440p monitor , which one to get ? And also what should be my second monitor , i am not still sure which orientation my second monitor will be .. Currently have BenQ GW2480 24-inch , which i am planning to use as second monitor , or i can shift this to my office where i need one and i can get two monitors which are suggested here.. Also what will be the performance hit by running two monitor ? Can each run different resolution ?
9.....(reserved)

Last edited:
I would advise to order the parts together. When is your brother returning? What all can he bring?

Checkout Lian Li o11 mini, pretty sweet case, recently launched. Might be hard to get in India, ask importers.

B550 is good enough for your needs I think, unless you want 10gig lan for some reason.

Makes sense to go for platinum rated psu if iys gonno be running 24x7, you'll save decent bucks over the years. I think some platinum PSUs already come with sleeved cables.

What's your budget for speakers?

I would advise to order the parts together. When is your brother returning? What all can he bring?

Checkout Lian Li o11 mini, pretty sweet case, recently launched. Might be hard to get in India, ask importers.

B550 is good enough for your needs I think, unless you want 10gig lan for some reason.

Makes sense to go for platinum rated psu if iys gonno be running 24x7, you'll save decent bucks over the years. I think some platinum PSUs already come with sleeved cables.

What's your budget for speakers?

I am yet to finalise the list. He is planning to return by jan-feb , provided there is no second lockdown in U.S. I am asking him to get GPU , CPU , SSD , HDD , for now. Some said getting motherboard from there is much better value and also quality wise.

Yeah after so many videos i too thought B550 would be good platform , but still confused on which board to go for.. since we need to tally in the quality of VRM`s also nowadays.

Nice case , but would loads of justice if the setup is watercooled .. :( Thanks for the suggestion..

Thanks for the PSU advice.

I now have a good old tarang 2.1 speakers.. but i feel its time to upgrade.. Budget around 5-9K ? If its good , i can extend a bit too...

VRM on most B550 boards are solid so unless you are overclocking, you don't need to worry.
You dont particularly need to use a custom loop in the case, the Corsair H115i will look pretty sick in there.

around 10k you'd better off going with 2.0 setup and later add subwoofer. checkout Micca PB42X. These are available cheaper in the US

the prices in USA and India are same its just we have 18% tax on MRP and in a lot of states in USA its like 5%. so better to get most expensive parts from there

VRM on most B550 boards are solid so unless you are overclocking, you don't need to worry.
You dont particularly need to use a custom loop in the case, the Corsair H115i will look pretty sick in there.

around 10k you'd better off going with 2.0 setup and later add subwoofer. checkout Micca PB42X. These are available cheaper in the US

the prices in USA and India are same its just we have 18% tax on MRP and in a lot of states in USA its like 5%. so better to get most expensive parts from there

Yes , for SSD , HDD , few thousands are the difference. But still I always felt the quality if much better in U.S , than here..
Will get speakers here itself.. cant add weight.. since its international flight.

I am tempted.. but then again it needs SF PSU it seems. Since its my first build (me doing it) i dont want to dare too deep.. Thats why not going watercooling also.. Since i can easily ask my brother to get waterblocks..

Please do suggest on monitors..

1. I'll suggest samsung 970 evo plus 1tb over adata. Samsung offers 5 years warranty compared to 3 years warranty from adata, both ssds have the same performance characteristics and you can get 970 evo plus 1tb for as low as 10999(before CC discounts). If you don't need the super high performance, Kingston A2000 is another good option, 2000mbps seq. read/write speeds and 1tb version goes for 8-8.5k INR.

2. You don't need a platinum rated or a fully modular psu unless you want to use custom cables. Get a tier 1 or tier 2 psu from this list, https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list. I have been trying to find corsair txm series psu for my build but it's oos here everywhere so I'll have to go for the rmx version even though I technically don't need it to be fully modular for my build. :/

3. 10G ethernet is also overkill unless you do some sort of video production and need to transfer huge files really fast. B550 boards have relatively worse IO than x570 boards so there are probably very very few b550 boards that have the 2.5G option. Pretty much all the high end x570 options have 2.5G lan and 1G lan on them. Since 2.5G standard is not very popular yet, You'll have difficulty finding other devices and routers that also have this option. For normal home use, 1G is most likely sufficient. If you need higher ethernet speeds in future, you can always add a pcie card to get that functionality.

Choose ADATA based on anandtech articles which reigned ADATA as top performer , now replaced by gammix series i guess.. surely will consider Samsung , since thye have been the top runners for SSD for long time. to quote from my post

i am planning for a really fast ssd for boot , another slower but slightly more storage ssd as secondary drive to run games of it , and third is HDD for massive storage. I need a board which can also be something like NAS

So looking for 1 fastest SSD , little storage based next and a good old hdd for massive storage.

Thanks for the advice on PSU.. Yes planning for custom cables..

Thanks for the advice on network. Since this PC will be running 24x7 , I planned whether it can be made into NAS like also.. thats why asked for higher capapcity network , atleast any advice on Mesh network and good MIMO router ?

Only amd & maybe gskill will entertain International warranty not other parts
and regarding you want to run it 24 x 7 ,i recommend you build a second rig using first gen ryzen and used a320 board b350 board attach or any compatible board attached with used quad nic or you can even use 10 gigabit Ethernet nic card all can be sourced from use at cheap price enay etc vitualize the build using XCP-NG and install frenass etc and what not put a pfsense based router which would solve your router issue as well

Last edited:
Only amd & maybe gskill will entertain International warranty not other parts
and regarding you want to run it 24 x 7 ,i recommend you build a second rig using first gen ryzen and used a320 board b350 board attach or any compatible board attached with used quad nic or you can even use 10 gigabit Ethernet nic card all can be sourced from use at cheap price enay etc vitualize the build using XCP-NG and install frenass etc and what not put a pfsense based router which would solve your router issue as well
OK i think i need to google every word in your reply.. :D

as for warranty.. I think thats a risk i might have to take anyway.. or when time comes approach a repair dealer who can do it (chennai richie street... is famous for it i guess...) The cost saving is too much , given so high import tax or gst in india. such a bummer tbh. cant enjoy finer things in life ... without taking shortcuts..

If possible can you list the parts for second build/NAS system .. I will go through all those you said though.

you can refer

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTecknowledge/playlists ,to understand how to setup a virtualized server using open source software pfsense,xcp ng,freenas,truenas etc very well explained

And to add home automation to that server there are many options

You can refer following channel

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHookUp/featured ,there are many but this is good for startes

Regarding the HW ,i recomended AMD Ryzen 1 gen plainly due to the amount of cores it offers at cheaper rates and the motherboard too are cheap , for quad nic prefer Intels used quad nic or if you want 100 gigabit you can refer below mentioned recommendation

A 15 year old has setup a such a brilliant network at this age is great

Mobo you could get B550 Tomahawk or B550 gaming edge wifi
Monitor Msi optix g241
Case - Fractal Design Meshify C or LianLi Lancool 2
Since i am planning on 4+ HDD in future , Will this motherboard when filled reduce the speed of PCI-e lane ? I was also eyeing on gaming edge.. but thought whether to go for x570 instead.

Thanks for rest of the suggestion , both are great cases.. but i think only mesify support 4+ hdd , that too is the panel is moved and hdd placed in front of fans.. CMIIW. How about cosair new 400d ?
does this mean i can connect all these without PCI-e speed loss to GPU ?

Attachments

• waterfox_KfdMy2jrNF.jpg
    waterfox_KfdMy2jrNF.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 114
  • waterfox_wGj5wjn3vZ.jpg
    waterfox_wGj5wjn3vZ.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Yes lane calculation is complicated with current gen architecture

with b550 boards, you can use 1 GPU and 1 nvme at pcie 4.0.
if you add another nvme, it will be 3.0 . For x570, all are 4.0 speed

See this video if you want to kinda understand lane sharing

Basically, it will depend on your usage for extra storage drives.
If you are going raid / nas way with 4 drives, you will have bandwidth issues cause 10 or 5 Gbps boards are really expensive.

stick to less number of drives with higher capacity with b550 or x570

Yes lane calculation is complicated with current gen architecture

with b550 boards, you can use 1 GPU and 1 nvme at pcie 4.0.
if you add another nvme, it will be 3.0 . For x570, all are 4.0 speed

See this video if you want to kinda understand lane sharing

Basically, it will depend on your usage for extra storage drives.
If you are going raid / nas way with 4 drives, you will have bandwidth issues cause 10 or 5 Gbps boards are really expensive.

stick to less number of drives with higher capacity with b550 or x570
Thanks for your detailed reply.
I am watching most of gamernexus videos.. I remember he said this PCI-E sharing is decided by board manufacturers mostly pertaining to either B550 or X570.

My plan is to have

1x GPU
1x NVME Drive - Primary OS
1x SSD - secondary storage - Games/ important apps only
4x HDD - For mass storage / NAS

In this configuration , which board will suit me without sacrificing speed on GPU and primary os - NVME drive.
Or should i go 2x HDD and rest as independent NAS storage like synology.

That snapshot you posted is B550 Edge wifi, right? For the above requirement (1 gpu, 1 nvme, 5 hdd/sata ssd), this board will do.
PCIe lanes from CPU is not shared. So no issues with GPU slot, primary M.2 slot and 6 SATA ports.

Please build two machines - one for gaming and another low power one for nas. It doesn't make sense to keep your gaming rig turned on 24/7 downloading stuff when the same can be achieved using a much lower power optimized machine.

Personally I use a b450 board with a 3200g and an LSI HBA card for the storage pc with 6x 10tb HDDs in raidz2. It's more than enough for everything. This box runs linux. Do note the LSI HBAs don't work properly in any modern windows version.

Last edited:
Back