Motherboard - MSI P55-GD65
Monitor - BenQ E2200 HD
Graphics Card - MSI GTX 560-ti Twin FROZR
RAM - Corsair XMS3 2*2 GB Dual channel DDR3 1600 MHz
HDDs - 4.5 TB (5 HDD's total)
SSD - None
PSU - Corsair VX 550w
Cabinet - CM 430

PC is running a bit sluggish now, and also running very hot (around 90c on load, both cpu + gpu) and I want to beef it up a bit.

To do that I think I should get a CPU Cooler and overclock my CPU to 4.0 GHz, get 8 GB (4x2 dual channel) of RAM, and also a 120/128 GB SSD.

Can you people suggest the components or maybe something different to give my PC a small upgrade?

Budget is 15k and at max 17k. Can't go over that really.

Thanks, looking forward to the help!

Two options I can think of

1. ~15k go for Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD
2. ~17k Samsung 250GB 840 Series SSD plus 8 GB (use with your existing 4 GB)

2nd option should be better. You can squeeze in a cooler later, around 1 to 2 K.

Two options I can think of

1. ~15k go for Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD
2. ~17k Samsung 250GB 840 Series SSD plus 8 GB (use with your existing 4 GB)

2nd option should be better. You can squeeze in a cooler later, around 1 to 2 K.

Although I'm sure that'll speed up my PC quite a bit, I really don't want to place all my eggs in one basket. I don't feel such costly SSDs are worth the money.

As I'm sure If I get a decent Liquid cooler (H60i/H80i) and 8 GBs of RAM, along with a decent budget 120/128 GB SSD, the performance gain will be much more, am I incorrect?

There won't be much of the difference between a decent air cooler and an entry level pre-filled liquid cooler like H60i.

I suggest cooler master hyper 212 evo for that.

A simple 80 GB SSD for the operating system and basic software like browsers will greatly improve the overall computer experience. Please treat yourself with an SSD. :D I'm pretty sure you won't be able to go back to HDDs after experiencing the speed of an SSD. :)

Aman, get an SSD first - this would give you a noticeable boost for the system. I would recommend the 128 GB 840 Pro (try Flipkart, OnlySSD for the prices) and a decent aftermarket cooler. Get yourself the 2013 Corsair H60 (costs about 5k from eBay GEB after using a coupon; India does not have the stocks of the 2013 model H60 as yet). This LCLC system should last you a while. Reviews have been positive for the revised edition and Corsair has bundled a better fan with better tubings. The mount has also improved over the previous version.

I do not recommend an air-cooled heatsink since you stay close to the sea-shore, the salty environment might scale the fins of the heatsink - the Thermalright Ultra 120 Black that I had before had some extensive scaling and the chips/scales used to be deposited over the GPU top. There wasn’t any noticeable thermal performance drop though. If there is any moolah left, get a pair of XMS3 2 GB modules and overclock your system.

1. SSD - As Gannu suggested above, go for Samsung 840 Pro (~8.7k) or Crucial m4 (~7.9k) if you want a cheaper alternative
2. Get 2x4GB sticks ~4.5k
3. With the remaining budget (and if it cant fit, after bit more time), plan on a better heatsink

How many fans do you have in your CM 430 ?

The addition of an SSD + H60 + 8GB RAM should give your rig a tremendous boost.

@Gannu - How does one identify the H60 2013 edition ? I do not see any additional naming change ?
Is it the part no & LGA 1150 compatibility that's been addded.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gannu - How does one identify the H60 2013 edition ? I do not see any additional naming change ?
Is it the part no & LGA 1150 compatibility that's been addded.

The SKU number.

The older H60 has the SKU # CWCH60 and the newer one has the SKU # CW-9060007-WW. There are plenty of differences between the two other than the cosmetics - the CPU block has a different design, the tubings have changed, the mounting system has changed, the bundled 120 mm fan is similar to their Air series etc.

Old H60

New 2013 edition H60

SSD : I would really suggest Samsung 840 Pro. The price difference is really worth it.

RAM : Let me know if you are looking for a GSkill RipJaws 2x4 Kit mate.

Get a good Thermal Paste like a CM Thermal Fusion 400/Arctic Silver 5 and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo over a messy water cooler setup. You will have similar thermal dissipation but at a much cheaper price.

Get a Samsung or a Crucial M4 for an SSD for your OS and application. You are good to go that way!

For the SSD, guys, I did some research and found that that my motherboard is only SATA II and therefore would be a bottleneck for the Samsung 840 pro series which have around ~ 530 MBps speeds, so I don't think for me it is worth spending the extra for the SSD.

So therefore I ask, which is the best 120/128 GB SSD which wouldn't get bottlenecked by SATA II?

-----

And, I am already getting my RAM from @mrcool63, thanks @memnom

Try Crucial M4 SSD a good replacement for 840 Pro and btw there is a 840 Series without the "pro" you should try that as well.

Aman, it wouldn't be much of a bottleneck. Even the absence of AHCI mode on my previous G31 based board wasn't a big deal - sure the synthetic benchs would throw a lower number but on real world apps., this wouldn't matter. Besides, this is going to be an investment that would last a while. My previous SSD - a mushkin 60 GB SSD lasted me for close to 3 years (had bought it back in July 2010) and saw me through various system upgrades. Had it not been for its lower capacity, I wouldn't have got the 128 GB 840 Pro now. When you do your next system upgrade, this drive would happily chug along.

Besides, most SSDs available on the market right now are Sata 3 i.e. 6 Gbps. Last time I had contacted Crucial regarding the SSD imports from Prime, this was their response:

Hello Ganesh,

Thank you for contacting Crucial. We do not ship to India from the United States. That would be handled by our UK website. Their website is crucial.com/uk and you can order directly from them. They would also be the ones who you would contact for any RMA warranty exchanges.

If you ordered the SSD in the United States and it was sent to India, you would still need to create a RMA with the UK website. We do provide 3rd party exchanges after 45 days. Within 45 days you would need to take your product back to the place of purchase. We do have many authorized resellers, but I am not familiar with Prime ABGB.

If you have further questions, please visit the Crucial Community at http://www.crucial.com/help. For sales questions, try our online chat service at http://www.crucial.com/company/contacts.aspx. Our hours are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Mountain Time). At Crucial, we are committed to providing high-quality products and reliable service and support.

Have a great day!

JOHN ATKINS
Sales & Support Representative

Which means Prime is importing the Crucial drives on their behalf. Any warranty concerns would be honored by Prime. This was an year back however.

Get the CPU cooler first, or clean out your fan/re-seat the stock cooler. At 90c temps your CPU is probably throttling.

Back