Budget 0-20k 15k to revamp my PC

How much are the ongoing rates for the new H60 on eBay GEB? I got mine after discount for 5.1k. Seemed like a fair price.

i believe air coolers are better at the lower price range(by lower i mean 4k) rather than lower end water coolers.. you would be better off with noctua ones.. trust me they work awesomely.. i was able to oc my 2600k to 5.3Ghz on noctua u12p se2

There's actually not a lot of space in my cabinet as the cable management in the CM430 is horrid. The water coolers take way less space in comparison.

You were lucky you bought it before the $ shot up again. Minimum is like 6.8k (without coupons) now :eek:

http://geb.ebay.com/g/ImportHubSearch?qwd=H60&catId=175673&selAspStr=&_df=force

Oh that's a lot of difference! :(

Might be a good idea to wait it out and see if the prices fall. Keep an eye out for the H60 prices.

I don't recommend the air coolers because they tend to scale pretty badly. I don't stay close to the beach (just to be precise) and yet this was the condition of the TRU120E Black I sold off sometime back:

p1060639-jpg.21662

That discoloration you see there is why I dissuade peeps from buying an air-cooled heatsink if they stay anywhere close to the sea-shore. I wasn't even close and this was what it did to the heatsink!

Aman, right now the best thing you could do is to grab the solid state drive, get some thermal paste and clean your PC innards. Remove the heatsink, clean it thoroughly, clean the CPU IHS top surface for the dried off thermal paste, apply some new thermal paste and install the heatsink back. This should improve the CPU temperatures considerably.

Oh that's a lot of difference! :(

Might be a good idea to wait it out and see if the prices fall. Keep an eye out for the H60 prices.

I don't recommend the air coolers because they tend to scale pretty badly. I don't stay close to the beach (just to be precise) and yet this was the condition of the TRU120E Black I sold off sometime back:

That discoloration you see there is why I dissuade peeps from buying an air-cooled heatsink if they stay anywhere close to the sea-shore. I wasn't even close and this was what it did to the heatsink!

Aman, right now the best thing you could do is to grab the solid state drive, get some thermal paste and clean your PC innards. Remove the heatsink, clean it thoroughly, clean the CPU IHS top surface for the dried off thermal paste, apply some new thermal paste and install the heatsink back. This should improve the CPU temperatures considerably.

Yes, and therefore I'm not too keen on getting an air cooler. I've increased my budget by a bit and am getting a Corsair H80i now.

Fantastic! The H80i is available in India fortunately (the new model!) and you should be set now. :)

But be prepared for some major pain while installing it. :banghead:

Fantastic! The H80i is available in India fortunately (the new model!) and you should be set now. :)

But be prepared for some major pain while installing it. :banghead:

Yo, don't say that! As it is I'm scared with this humble CM430 of mine.

But, Gannu bhai, I am probably going for the 'Kingston V300 120G' instead as 'Samsung 128 gb 840 pro' is out of stock, and I just don't the extra 3k to spend on that ssd at this point.

I am probably going for the 'Kingston V300 120G' instead as 'Samsung 128 gb 840 pro' is out of stock, and I just don't the extra 3k to spend on that ssd at this point.

Oh man, that SSD has a Sandforce based controller. I wouldn't advise you to get one of those since the reliability of Sandforce based drives are pretty bad and several users/critics have been complaining of failures at an early stage. I would also seek a second opinion on that. @stalker, @Crazy_Eddy - please help!

I understand that the 840 Pro is expensive but you can get the regular 840 as well. It is cheaper.

Flipkart - 128 GB 840 Pro
Flipkart - 120 GB 840

Do check the eBay pricing. You can use some coupon to lower the prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandforce complaints have gone down lately, I guess they've largely managed to fix the firmware issues. A review of the Kingston V300 said its pretty VFM since the V300 has better Toggle-mode DDR NAND instead of the typical slow async NAND. Still, if the idea is to save money, I'd rather get the 128GB Plextor M5S for 6.5k since its identical to the Crucial M4. Only downside is that the warranty is dealer warranty from PrimeABGB/OnlySSD. But Plextor tend to have pretty well sorted firmware, so I wouldn't expect issues.

IMHO 840Pro > 840 ~> M5S ~ M4 > V300
Start by getting a tube of thermal paste and cleaning out your system once. I don't think you need to spend on a new cpu cooler. If the 840Pro is not in your budget at this stage, save up for another couple of months and get it.

A watercooler is not going to get you better 'performance' that you can notice in the real world. It might give you better synthetic numbers or even a few more frames in games, but more likely than not, you wont notice anything. Save the money for an actual performance upgrade, which the SSD will be.

Sandforce complaints have gone down lately, I guess they've largely managed to fix the firmware issues. A review of the Kingston V300 said its pretty VFM since the V300 has better Toggle-mode DDR NAND instead of the typical slow async NAND. Still, if the idea is to save money, I'd rather get the 128GB Plextor M5S for 6.5k since its identical to the Crucial M4. Only downside is that the warranty is dealer warranty from PrimeABGB/OnlySSD. But Plextor tend to have pretty well sorted firmware, so I wouldn't expect issues.
IMHO 840Pro > 840 ~> M5S ~ M4 > V300
Start by getting a tube of thermal paste and cleaning out your system once. I don't think you need to spend on a new cpu cooler. If the 840Pro is not in your budget at this stage, save up for another couple of months and get it.

A watercooler is not going to get you better 'performance' that you can notice in the real world. It might give you better synthetic numbers or even a few more frames in games, but more likely than not, you wont notice anything. Save the money for an actual performance upgrade, which the SSD will be.

Thanks for the help guys - and indeed I'm getting the normal Samsung 840 120gb now.

As for the water cooler, I plan on overclocking my CPU to 4.0GHz+, that's why I'm getting it (tomorrow).

I just installed it :) H80i and G-skill 4gbx2 running great.

Just the Samsung 840 120gb SSD is left, now. Flipkart has shipped it.

Brilliant! You might get that tomorrow. Prepare to get awed! :p

How was the overall experience installing the H80i inside your system?

Hey you didn't answer his question! Where did you get the H80i from?

The True was a one or two of a case. The True is a famous case even with people not having a a beach home ,it was poor build quality that was the culprit. Everybody in the scene from 2008 onwards is aware of that single issue. I remember Roshan pointing that out early in the Chip forums,but that dosnt warrant the same fate for all air coolers,ai!

Brilliant! You might get that tomorrow. Prepare to get awed! :p

How was the overall experience installing the H80i inside your system?

Hey you didn't answer his question! Where did you get the H80i from?

Oh my bad! I read 'Where' as 'When'.

I've got it locally from Kolkata. Rs. 6615 inc 5% VAT.

Overall exp was alright I guess. First did it but a bit of thermal paste had got off (first time installing any cooler). Reapplied thermal paste and it's working flawlessly now. 45-50 max on load, coming from 90-95 this is too good :)

And yeah, am expecting Flipkart to deliver it by Tomorrow! :D

Back