Laptops 17" Laptop for <40k?

freenam

Disciple
Hi,
I needed a 17 inches laptop for less than Rs 40,000. I had seen a Compaq A965TU model, it had the following config:
Core2Duo T5750 - 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 17", DVD-RAM, Wifi, ATI Radeon Graphics card. The said model was available for 34500 and the dealer said that he'd provide me the same with a 3GB RAM for 35000. I thought it was alright until he turned up by giving me laptops which were being used in the showroom. I asked for a new piece but he cleverly bought back another "sealed" laptop which was again being used for the showroom. I left the shop not to return. I reside in Pune and had started searching for Laptops with a 17" monitor, but everywhere I went they told me that 17" had stopped as the manufactures didn't find it viable. I searched on the internet and found the studio 17" from Dell but being priced at over 55k(+5k for taxes and delivery = 60k , i guess) it wasn't in my region. Can anyone suggest whether there is a 17" laptop available for the price with a core2duo processor. Preference would be a HP/Compaq. Dell has a Vostro 17" but it'll be 48k after taxes. I'm looking at the laptop only for entertainment purposes. Anyone help would be appreciated.

Well its hard to fine good in india but U can try usa or someone here KMD to bring it for u from usa cos there u have atleast 5 diff laptop in 17inches and arpox 40k. Here the list of 5...
MSI GX730-043US
HP G70-250US
TOSHIBA Satellite P305-S8904
TOSHIBA Satellite P305D-S8900
MSI VR705 (320GB)
TOSHIBA Satellite P305-S8997E

Best is try toshiba and msi its nice config check online and i am sure most have international warrenty

Note for mohit preet better try to find info then say and post dont say wrong when you dont know things.

delguy19 said:
Note for mohit preet better try to find info then say and post dont say wrong when you dont know things.

then also tell this guy wat wud be the shipping charges of getting a laptop here from US via KMD

and other warranty issues!!

i dont think he can get it for 40 k shipped right here to his place

provide some links from amazon or newegg to support

so dat y i said only 2nd hand under 40k

What do you mean by "entertainment purposes"?

Did you consider the cheapest laptop that does the job and connecting it to an external LCD monitor?

Thank you for the prompt replies, i wouldn't be looking for a second hand laptop. I don't mind going in for a 15.4 Laptop as well. I saw the Studio 15" by dell. it's 34k+taxes and shipping for the Inspiron with the following config:

T6400(2Ghz), 160GB SATA(no problem about Hard drive, can always back it up with my desktop), 2GB RAM x 1, 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability, Vista Home Basic(I'd be changing to XP immediately as I'm more comfortable with that), Integrated Media 4500 MHD, 6cell battery with no carry case and a 1 yr warranty.

Whilst I also checked up with the studio 15 with the following config for 46k+shipping and taxes:

T6400(uprgade to P8600 is 6K more),Vista Home Premium 64-bit,15.6" WLED, 4GB RAM, 320GB SATA, 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability, ATI Radeon 4570 256 MB, 9 cell Battery, Backlit Keyboard, no cary case and a 1 yr warranty.

I also saw the Zenith Laptop, they were offering a similar config as the Dell Studio 15" but for 27k! The model name is Zenith Student Director Plus or something.

There was also a Croma Laptop which has been doing the rounds with the same config as the dell for 42k with the carry case and with 3 yr warranty.

Now I've checked out all and am awaiting your advice on the following:

I've been having a relationship with HP i.e purchased 5 laptops from them since 1999. I've always felt they are the best and that is why I was looking for them. I'm presently using a NX7400 which was bought in Lamington Road in 2006 with a core2duo T5500 for 50k which was apparently imported from Dubai. The going rate of the NX7400 in India at that time was 70k. And I frequent Dubai every 2 months or so. So should I pick one up there?

I had seen some sites which keep the laptops prices online and didn't find too much of a diff in the prices viz. 2-3k difference which would be paid as duty since I'm already lugging around a laptop and the extra one bought would be charged.

I'm worried about Dell because many say they aren't as good, Zenith because I don't know about they're after sales, Croma because the build quality of the laptop didn't seem so great. If anyone knows some stores/laptops in pune?

@nag1010

entertainment purposes meant it wouldn't matter too much on the looks, lightness of the laptop, as it'd be home based i wouldn't worry about the size either. It'd have to be with a fast processor and a good amount of RAM.

@manu
Thanks, but I'm not too sure of Acer's after sales service. Are they good?
Also, I checkedi it out, 16" screen would be wider that a 15.4 but shorter. That it's dimensions are changed, Am I right? Apparently the battery doesn't last more than an hour. Otherwise, this laptop looks perfect because it's HD quality with the laptop display and can be connected to the TV with the HDMI port.

I never faced any issues with acer and asus and have use 1 laptop each in past. present time stay away from dell 15 its full of mess if still wana buy dell go for 14 or inspi

Studio 15 ahev issues like some color issue and some facing heating issues some facing no issues at all and some return laptop back 2wice but still same.

Inspiron is fine good

delguy19 said:
Studio 15 ahev issues like some color issue and some facing heating issues some facing no issues at all and some return laptop back 2wice but still same.

Inspiron is fine good

the heating is issue is not with studio 15.
its with the dell studio xps 13 n 16, coz of the design flaw
studio 15 is trouble free like any other laptop

really mohit come my home i will show you 2 bills of studio 15 which i returned back to dell and got full refund 1 time cos of screen and second time due to heating. and if u need i can give u un limited contact number of my friends who sent system back and taken refund

thanks mohit and delguy19,
i just saw the dell vostro 1710, t5870(2ghz), 17"screen, 256 MB NVDIA 8600 graphics card, 250 GB, 2GB RAM, 1.3 megapixel camera, 8cell battery with a 1 yr warranty and no carry case with delivery for 48k. They said accidental warranty is available for 9k more. do you'll think this is good? should i bargain with them?

Back