Monitors 17"TFT monitor

shirish said:
don't wanna sound like a noob but what's the difference between 8bit & 8ms. AFAIK the ms is for the response time for moving images & it comes into play when viewing movies as well as playing games. Plz. enlighten me about the 8bit thing, . Does it mean no. of colors that can be seen or not like 32-bit (24-bit with 8 bit alpha channel) 16 million colors? thanx in advance

Yes... thats what it means. A 6bit panel can only display 6bits of a component color.. i.e. 6bits of red, 6bits of blue, 6bits of green... i.e. 64 shades of each color and in the naive sense 262K different colors. (This is what you see advertised in cellphones which use the same TN panels as in LCDs). However in computer LCDs, other shades are produced by quickly alternating between different available real shades. Say that the you wish to produce the eighth level of red, then you quickly alternate between the sixth level of red and the 12th level of red, displaying the 6th level for a longer period of time, since its closer to the 8th level than 12th. This method can produce 16.2 million individual colors. However the accuracy is obviously sacrificed and if you see a TN panel side by side to an 8bit PVA/MVA/S-IPS panel, its obvious to make out what is faking colors :). This was a rather simplified version of what exactly happens, google for more.

@Chaos
ok! thats a nice explanation! but does it solve my problem?

I posted earlier that i'm gonna buy me a 17" tft in 7 days, didnt get any reply so extended the deadline. Its Mar 10 now, the choises i have ->

1) samsung 740n price 14150 in indore.
free samsung laser printer.
(comes by post in a month or two. by sending a DD of 1000/- for handling and does not accompany toner worth 3500/-)
so cost of owning a free laser printer is 14k+3.5k+1k = 18.5k (after waiting one month or so!)

2) samsung 770p. Now, everything about this thing is perfect!
only problem! I Dont FIND IT ANYWHERE!!! please help me find it indore or mumbai! also a little hint of price would be really helpful!

my dealer in indore is ready to adjust rs 2000 on lcd for the free printer. If i dont get 770p i'm not left with any choice! PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Blade_Runner said:
770p hasn't been introduced in the market yet. You will need to wait till April 06 to be able to lay your hands on one. :)

Thanks! Hail moderator!
looks like i have to go with 740n and be jealous of who buy 770p one month later!

btw, i'am stashing my old junk next month and buying a new cool rig! will post the requirement in a new thread! need help from all pros out there please!

Hey Guys.. there is one scheme on LG monitor... L1730S 17"... there are some free things along with it.. just like samsung..

Give me some reviews about this monitor.. this monitor is not there in LG's homesite.

hunt3r said:
What about the samsung syncmaster 740 N. Its got an 8ms response time and comes with a free laser printer worth 8.5k. donno the price though i expect i to be aorund 15k. anyone know?

Yes this seems like a good deal...I need a good LCD panel too and within 15K..something only for use in Mumbai and for max 3 hrs a day (at my place) rest of the time work ;)

edited after read the entire thread... btw the 770 seems good...any ideas to its cost?

Back