Monitors 19" CRT or 17" LCD ?

zhopudey

Skilled
What are your opinions about this? The Viewsonic E90F+SR costs 12750/- ( @mnemonics), while the VA712B is around 15K.
Both have recieved great reviews @newegg. The VA712 has also got a good review at TT (for whatever that's worth).
For those having experience with LCDs, how do they perform in games and movies? ( VA712 has 8ms response time). I'll be using a x800 gto2 (hopefully modded to an x850xt pe).

So, what do u guys think?

Personal choice wud be a LCD!!! a friend bot a 17" LG LCD with 12ms and that itself is impressive. Of course the max res on the LCD (that LG and this viewsonic) is 1280x1024, but still i wud go with a LCD. No 2 questions about it..

Edit:

Also, a point worth mentioning is the LCD consumes much less power. Something I wud strongly consider :)

my 2 cents..

I would go for a 19" CRT. Makes for great gaming and viewing movies and all that. And you do need to make use of the horsepower of that X800GTO2

Id go with a 17" LCD. Its personal Preference. I Like more space on my Desktop.

Plus my Hyundai 19" 8ms 700:1 Contrast monitor rocks :D.

Go with the 17"LCD as long as you have the graphics horse power to run games @ that resolution.

Dont know how the new LCD's are with change in resolution during gaming..

Nikhil said:
I would go for a 19" CRT. Makes for great gaming and viewing movies and all that. And you do need to make use of the horsepower of that X800GTO2
AFAIK, a 19" CRT has a viewable area of 18" and a 17" TFT has a viewable area of 17". as u may know already the length mentioned is the diagonal length. and the actual viewable area between a 17" and a 18" screen is minimal.. the advantages of LCD are more though.. such as saving space, lesser power consumtion, not to mention better aesthetics.. a few more which i am sure others wud psot here :)

Nikhil said:

yes I second this, 19 Crt is very good for gaming at high resolutions

@TheMask is it true that lcd have shot life comparing to Crt?

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, what other 17" LCDs can I consider?

Masky, how is the LG 17" 12ms? I suppose it'll cheaper than the 8ms models.

Nikhil & Sandy, its true I'd get to do higher rez on the CRT, but only with older titles. The x800 ( even after modding) probably wont do 1600 on newer games. And also, at 1280x1024, I'll have some horsepower left over to crank up the AA & AF. Also, I have practical problems with a 19" monitor. My current room is only 8x8...(really). So I wouldn't be able to sit far enuf to appreciate movies on a 19". And I'll need to add reinforcements to my comp trolley if I get the CRT.

So I guess I'll jump for the LCD.

According to the reasoning provided by zhopudey, an LCD seems to be the best bet for him...
The ViewSonic is one of the best selling display company of the US, AFAIK. So, I guess the viewsonic should satisfy your needs comfortably... ;)

my personal choice would be a 19"crt. just gr8 for gaming and since you have a good gfx, it makes sense to have a better and bigger monitor

Get the 17" LCD.

It saves a LOT of power.

Reduces strain on the eyes by 20-30%

And it'll run at 1280x1024 - Perfect for your X800GTO2 ;)

CRT! ... u dont have to worry abt stuck and dead pixels .. and its bigger ... crt monitors are exceptionally good for high fps .. so .. with the bigger view .. u will feel like god :)

If you game at lower resolutions, lcd's will make them look ugly by stretching and skewing the 800x600/1024x768 to whatever the native resolution is. And colours don't look as vibrant.

Can't think of any faults other than those.

So the LCDs have following problems:-

1) Chances of dead pixels.
2) Look good only at native resolution.
3) More expensive.

Anything else I should consider?

Well as for dead pixels, most companies have a no-questions asked return policy for monitors with dead-pixels in the first 6 months.

Trust me, LCd's can do wonders in terms of power comsumption and strain on eyes.

Anish said:
Well as for dead pixels, most companies have a no-questions asked return policy for monitors with dead-pixels in the first 6 months.

Trust me, LCd's can do wonders in terms of power comsumption and strain on eyes.

I think they do you must have 7 to 8 number of dead pixels before you can return and get another one :S

Back