Monitors 19" CRT or 17" LCD ?

well..i support a 19" CRT just because i own one, desk @ 1600x1200 looks awesome :D no doubt abt it...

cant commen abt LCDs tyhough.....

According to the VS website:

1) the recommended resolution for E90F is 1280x1024 @ 80 Hz

2) the VA712B has a response time of 8ms, ie 125 Hz

If the E90F can do a max of 80Hz at 1280x1024, clearly the VA712B will be better for gaming at 1280x1024, as it will display 125 fps vs. 80 fps (or less at higher resolutions, from E90F).

I would recommend you go in for a 17" LCD with DVI: does amazing things for pic quality !

Hmm see this.

Looks very convincing to me, it has DVI as well with a 8 ms response which is awesome for gaming.

I would certainly recommend this monitor over any CRT.

My Hyundai B90A cost me 250 dollars on Sale.

300 Dollars is the normal price i believe.

19", 700:1 ratio, 8 ms.

What more can u ask for??

As for dead Pixels, Hyundai has a warranty of 1 year for upto 8 Dead Pixels.

I Have 1 somewhat half dead pixel.

It can display Dark Shades of any colour :S. :S :S :S. Its fine with Light colours like Beige, White and all.

It looks blue if my full screen is dark.

Hello Zhopudey!!
i just assembled my pc after herculean efforts from TE techies to put sense into this dummy!!
Correct me if i am wrong but i think the problem with Lcd is that brightness, clour saturation, colour depth etc are best only from proper viewing angle!!
U move left/right/fwd/back to maybe relax or somethig and it appears hazy or dull!! At least that is applicable to my frnd's Ferrari4000 screen, to some extent.
With crt, you can be anywhere and the screen stays the same(unless U go behind the monitor- he he he...):bleh:
Had checked with Priya group for Viewsonic E90fsb as i wanted a 19" crt with silver/black look, costs 12000/- or maybe lesser now( chk with priya group), but a nice dude there confirmed it doesn't do 1600x1200@75. End of story!!:p
a 17" flat crt costs around 6500/- and 19" starting at 12000/- plus, it doesn't make any sense to put in 5K extra for 17" performance as the Viewsonic 17" E70fsb or E71fsb are excellent in build and looks, retail at 6750/- and offer 1024x768@87hz!!:)
The Viewsonic P97 (available in India) does 1600x1200 at 85-87 but costs 18000+. Waste fo money coz some 12K+ monitors offer 1600x1200@75.
Also heard Viewsonic has restarted recently and Warranty by HCL is something not very great to look fwd to!!
Philips has a model @ 12000/- approx that does 1600x1200@76hz, consumes 70W typical as against 100W+ for other brands and available in black too.
but heard Philips aftersales not very good and parts expensivetoo????
Was trying to avoid samsung in my config, but all out here said 997DF very good!! most own it too!!
Darky has philips 21" and he's happy withit but u can't generalise with size diffs!! plus models change with time and you never know if the newer one is as good!!
Checked 997DF specs and they were too good!!
0.23 dot pitch while others r at 0.25- lowest is best!!
does 1600x1200@75!!
Monitor review in Chip2004 rated it highly with impressive High voltage stability!! Featured in Digit A-list too!!
Was for 16000/- in OCT2004, dropped to 13999/- sometime this year, got it for 12500/- finally!!
was out of stock with most dealers and distributor too. stocks not expected for at least a week. Samsung sales rep gave me few nos and called all of them. couldn't believe my ears when last guy in town said yes!!:clap:
Went to his place personally on crutches at 4pm, waited till 8pm and gotit back home in a cab.:eek:hyeah:
and i must say- thanks to switch especially and others too, its well worth all the pain edured by TE due to my incessant Qs and me!!:hap2:
My pal who mocked me on acquiring samsung after my expressed hatred for samsung stuff was left with his lower jaw resting on the floor!!:rofl:
he is always boasting about his philips 17" flat and was downright insulting abt my choice of monitor but when he saw it run, he wanted to die of shame.
Personally i don't know if its the best out there in its price range but i couldn't hav asked for anything better.
the only major hurdle is that it comes in a light brown/ off white shade only.:mad:
so my rig is MULTICOLOUR but i plan to paint my cabby in the same shade!!
I have PAKAOed enough and i think i should exit before my GURUS here bash the daylights out of me.
hope you get the thing you want!! All the best!!:)
BIKEY.

Thanks for your inputs Bikey. I'm throughly confused right now. I'm a bit inclined towards LCD currently, but I just might spring fot the CRT in the end, as its 2-3K cheaper. After all, "paisa bolta hai" :eek:hyeah:...

Am finalising the deal on saturday.

^^ well, if angle of viewing is really important ie. if lotsa ur pals come over often to watch movies r something, then u should go in fr. a CRT, 'cause even those LCDs with high viewing angles show some color distortion from the side.

As regards cost, tho the initial cost may be higher, the more u use it, the less an LCD will cost compared to a CRT (reg. electricity).

Also, chk out: http://www.viewsonic.com/monitoruniversity/lcd.htm

I bought the 17" Sony LCD 75F 12 ms response yesterday, very nice - check it out before you finalize. It has DVI input too unlike the samsung's & Viewsonic available here in Inida. The viewsonic 712b has dvi input not VA712 & the b one is not available here...FYI

I have been using my 710n since 6 months. It's a great LCD. no dead pixels here yet :p

I'd always recommend going in for a Samsung LCD. Samsung support is much better than viewsonic in India and trust me, ur gonna need every bit of them if ur buying an LCD.

rest it's upto you :)

Cost me 19K (IRS) for the 75F & I have a 15" Samung 152S at my office & the sony beats $h!t out of it...I'm impressed & sony support is equivalent to samsung...if you compare all the dvi port models are in this range only the non-dvi ones are in the 14k range (looks like samsung is dumping most of them in Inida only), the dvi cable came along with the lcd & I connected it to the ATI X300 card on my setup...

Actually I was going for the Sony 75P but the model was out of stock (24K) & I got desperate & bought the 75F...

I agreewith anand - viewsonic support is dicey here so keep that in mind.

Back