Storage Solutions 1Tb slow !!!

52 is fine...

My old 250 gigger has been reporting 54-55 for last 2 years

I tried changing slots etc at the star but finally gave up and stopped worrying.. good that I did

Maybe 52c it ok for older drives. For new drives, I would say anything above 40c means you don't have proper ventilation, especially during these winter months. Maybe it is harmful,maybe its not, but it can definitely be improved a lot. :)

Okies everyone my bad.

The thing that happened with me was bad and I felt same thing should not happen so just happened to share my experience which was wrong.

Anyways, disregard all my posts.

cisco_tech said:
ok then how to convert it to Basic Disk ? I am currently formatting my brand new 500 GB Seagate.

If you format the HDD from Disk Management it gives you an option. The Default selection for a brand new HDD is "Dynamic" :(

If you format from a bootable XP install CD then it will be made into a Basic Disk as default.

If the HDD is already partitioned and formated go to Disk Management and click right mouse button on the area where the HDD is mentioned as DISK 0 or DISK 1 and an option will pop-up for converting Dynamic <-> Basic. If you follow this procedure I think you will loose all data - not 100% sure about this.

ultimabasher said:
Make sure its on SATA mode and getting proper power.

Defraging the drives would help a lot.

Besides, also that its nearly suicidal keeping FAT32 and NTFS together.

Change the last partition to NTFS or the HDD will surely go Kaput in few months.
what is this????

an attempted joke?

I also could not gether and went OHT (Over Head Transmission) as far as problem is concerned. Why Suicidal?

ultimabasher said:
Make sure its on SATA mode and getting proper power.

Defraging the drives would help a lot.

Besides, also that its nearly suicidal keeping FAT32 and NTFS together.

Change the last partition to NTFS or the HDD will surely go Kaput in few months.

lucky_chouhan said:
enable DMA

You are right. Try DMA in computer-properties-device manager-IDE ATA/ATAPI cvontrollers in all channels primary or secondary and restart your computer and report

BTW,

I rechecked my sata cables and the 1TB walla was inserted in one of the black sata ports, may be that was a problem !!!

I have six sata ports in my mobo- asus p5b dlx, it is something like this:

R - R - R
R - B - B (R=Red, B=Black)
can anyone put some light on this ? whats the difference between then ???

zhopudey said:
Maybe 52c it ok for older drives. For new drives, I would say anything above 40c means you don't have proper ventilation, especially during these winter months. Maybe it is harmful,maybe its not, but it can definitely be improved a lot. :)

oh ! that was a temperory setup, now the temp. is ~40-45 all of my hdd's. LOL, winter in mumbai.. I visited Haveli this week its beyond daishar @ nite it was just cool & nothing more !!!

Eazy said:
If you format the HDD from Disk Management it gives you an option. The Default selection for a brand new HDD is "Dynamic" :(

If you format from a bootable XP install CD then it will be made into a Basic Disk as default.

If the HDD is already partitioned and formated go to Disk Management and click right mouse button on the area where the HDD is mentioned as DISK 0 or DISK 1 and an option will pop-up for converting Dynamic <-> Basic. If you follow this procedure I think you will loose all data - not 100% sure about this.

Any other method ??? I have already filled up the hdd with around 500gb of data, will i lose it ?

I dont seem to get the basic conversion option :(
hddpartitions1co7.jpg

stud123 said:
You are right. Try DMA in computer-properties-device manager-IDE ATA/ATAPI cvontrollers in all channels primary or secondary and restart your computer and report

Its enable on all. i guess its like Ultra DMA mode 5 on 1tb,Ultra DMA mode 4 on 320 and 2 on 120

Eazy said:
From the screen shot of Disk Management I see that the 1TB HDD is set as a "Dynamic HDD" whilst the others are "Basic HDDs". Dynamic HDDs give a lot of problems, please change this to Basic. I am not sure but you may loose all data after this conversion.

Any links on this? I dont think it makes that big a difference.

techie_007 said:
Any links on this? I dont think it makes that big a difference.

Over a period of time I have come across a few posts in forums where people have mentioned having problems with Dynamic drives, but as I was not going to be running Dynamic disks I did not read the threads thoroughly nor did I save the links.

I just Googled for this and came across one thread where the OP mentions a problem with a Dynamic drive....

Basic and dynamic hard drive prob - Tech Support Forum

I found a page from Microsoft about how to transfer a HDD from Dynamic to Basic, the HDD must be backed up before undertaking this procedure ....

How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional

Eazy said:
Over a period of time I have come across a few posts in forums where people have mentioned having problems with Dynamic drives, but as I was not going to be running Dynamic disks I did not read the threads thoroughly nor did I save the links.

I just Googled for this and came across one thread where the OP mentions a problem with a Dynamic drive....

Basic and dynamic hard drive prob - Tech Support Forum

I found a page from Microsoft about how to transfer a HDD from Dynamic to Basic, the HDD must be backed up before undertaking this procedure ....

How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional

I formated my secondary hard drive as dynamic by mistake and was told it would be fine aslong as i never used it in another computer (which i havent), but i was having a prob with a Y-splitter today and had to unplug both hard drives..........

When i finaly got around the power prob i went into windows to discover that the 2nd drive is now unreadable.

How could that have anything to do with the data on the drive if he just removed the power cables n stuff?

Well, IMO its probably nothing to do with the dynamic volume but probably a connector issue or something ;)

2. One of the reasons given is that ppl dont prefer it as some disk management toold like ghost and acronis dont image these. That could be one reason people recommended against them. I think thats probably an old limitation (thread : 2005). Can someone verify?

EDIT:Seems that was correct. Only True Image Server Edition supports dynamic disks. So it might actually be a good idea to steer clear of them :ashamed:

Back