Audio 2.1/Bookshelf speakers in Mumbai for ~20k - what and where to buy

gourav

Skilled
I am looking to upgrade my audio experience.
After reading for a bit, I have narrowed down my choices to bookshelf or 2.1 speakers, discarding my idea of a soundbar or a full setup with receiver.

However, I am still not decided on which speakers to buy. Here's what I need:
  • The speakers are mainly for movies and TV. Music will be played occasionally and hence is not a big concern
  • At least two sources of inputs is a must, optical/coaxial and RCA/Aux. But more the merrier.
  • Bluetooth would be great. But if not, then I'll connect a BT receiver like TP-Link's. This is mainly for Music streaming by pairing it with Alexa.
  • Having a sub-woofer would be nice. But I'm not very big on bass (I like it, but don't want neighbours to complain, especially because I live on rent). So a good bookshelf with decent amount of bass can also work.
Currently I have shortlisted Edifier R1850DB. This is a bookshelf pair, but has a sub-woofer output. It will go slightly over budget, but I can split the purchase in two parts and buy the sub 6-8 months later.

I have two questions:
  1. What other speaker options can I consider? I'm open to suggestions where pairing a good set of speakers with an Amp can fulfil all my requirements. Please feel free to suggest for budgets up to 30k (with or without a sub) in this setup.
  2. Where in Mumbai can I audition speakers? I understand I might need to wait a bit because of the current situation, which is fine. I am also open to used/open box products as long as I can check them before buying. I live in Andheri, so shops closer to there will be good. South Mumbai is a bit difficult to reach currently with the restrictions on local trains.

After reading for a bit, I have narrowed down my choices to bookshelf or 2.1 speakers, discarding my idea of a soundbar or a full setup with receiver.

• The speakers are mainly for movies and TV. Music will be played occasionally and hence is not a big concern
  • At least two sources of inputs is a must, optical/coaxial and RCA/Aux. But more the merrier.
  • Bluetooth would be great. But if not, then I'll connect a BT receiver like TP-Link's. This is mainly for Music streaming by pairing it with Alexa.
  • Having a sub-woofer would be nice. But I'm not very big on bass (I like it, but don't want neighbours to complain, especially because I live on rent). So a good bookshelf with decent amount of bass can also work.
Currently I have shortlisted Edifier R1850DB. This is a bookshelf pair, but has a sub-woofer output. It will go slightly over budget, but I can split the purchase in two parts and buy the sub 6-8 months later.

I have two questions:
  1. What other speaker options can I consider? I'm open to suggestions where pairing a good set of speakers with an Amp can fulfil all my requirements. Please feel free to suggest for budgets up to 30k (with or without a sub) in this setup.
  2. Where in Mumbai can I audition speakers? I understand I might need to wait a bit because of the current situation, which is fine. I am also open to used/open box products as long as I can check them before buying. I live in Andheri, so shops closer to there will be good. South Mumbai is a bit difficult to reach currently with the restrictions on local trains.
You can also go for passive speakers with integrated amplifier... something like Norge amplifier with wharfdale diamond speakers almost with in your budget

I have two questions:
Also check out Presonus!

KALI Audio Lone Pine series / KRK classic series.
Don't buy those green lined Mackie CR series monitors, really bad ( but cheap and marketed as studio monitors) for audio consumption.
No idea about Edifier. Prseonus is a highly reputable brand for consoles. Never heard their monitors.

Yes, I know. But his budget is stretchable to 30k. Adding 3K should not be a major problem. And LP6 is a solid monitor.

Also check out Presonus!

KALI Audio Lone Pine series / KRK classic series.
Don't buy those green lined Mackie CR series monitors, really bad ( but cheap and marketed as studio monitors) for audio consumption.
No idea about Edifier. Prseonus is a highly reputable brand for consoles. Never heard their monitors.
The problem with these speakers is the lack of input options. I definitely need at least 2 wired inputs (preferably one digital option) and Bluetooth. I have since done some research and discarded the amp idea. It's not going to fit in my budget. So the speakers should definitely have multiple input options.

The problem with these speakers is the lack of input options. I definitely need at least 2 wired inputs (preferably one digital option) and Bluetooth. I have since done some research and discarded the amp idea. It's not going to fit in my budget. So the speakers should definitely have multiple input options.
I'm missing something...you're not planning to buy an amp. So you're dependent on Active speakers. Right?
Are you thinking of powering passive speakers from your TV's internal amp!!??

I'm missing something...you're not planning to buy an amp. So you're dependent on Active speakers. Right?
Are you thinking of powering passive speakers from your TV's internal amp!!??
No, just need multiple inputs so I can connect my TV, and Amazon Echo together and easily switch between the two. I would also sometimes like to connect it to my laptop for some light gaming. Not having the option to connect multiple sources means that I'll have to change the physical connections every time I want to switch the source.

@gourav Which one did you go for?
Able to find R1850DB anywhere?
1850 was replaced with 1855, available on Flipkart.

I myself eventually discarded the bookshelf idea and went for home theater instead. My budget crept up by Rs. 5000 a week and I eventually ended up spending 65k for the whole thing.

Edifier R1850DB / edifier s2000mkiii /
edifier s350db has subwoofer

I have s350DB it is way too good for Music competes with the premium 1000$ speakers , for movies specially (DTS/ATMOS/Dolby) with multi audio channel you may not enjoy but converted to stereo it produces awesome sound

Last edited by a moderator:
Back