Storage Solutions 2 x Kingston A400 m.2 SSD DOA?

aasimenator

MCITP 2008
Reseller
Hi,

I had ordered 2 x Kingston A400 120G SATA M.2 2280 Internal SSD (SA400M8/120GIN) - in India (primeabgb.com) from PrimeABGB, I have 4 used PC's for various projects that I am going to be working on
1. Dell Precision T1700 with i5 4790T & 8Gb RAM
2. HP Elitedesk 800 G1 with i5 4790T & 16Gb RAM
3. HP Prodesk 600 G2 with Celeron G3900T & 8Gb RAM
4. HP z240 with Xeon 1225 v5 & 16Gb RAM

Each of them has an m.2 slot, as per my knowledge the 1 & 2 can only support m.2 SATA SSD and not NVMe, and 3 & 4 both should support both SATA & NVMe SSD's, yet the 2 Kingston SSD that arrived yesterday is not being detected by the BIOS or the Operating System, I had a 970 EVO Plus NVMe and that works in both 3 & 4 systems, so its not a slot issue, and I am not sure what the issue is as I don't think both SSD's can be DOA.

Any ideas?

Maybe changing the nvme states in bios might help detect those drives sometimes.
Like X3 or X4 versions are being specified in some bioses while these drives will support the same configurations and vice versa

I bought same from Amazon. As soon as I opened the box, some small microchip/register fell out. Returned it, and replacement had same issue. Finally dropped it.

Hi,

I had ordered 2 x Kingston A400 120G SATA M.2 2280 Internal SSD (SA400M8/120GIN) - in India (primeabgb.com) from PrimeABGB, I have 4 used PC's for various projects that I am going to be working on

Each of them has an m.2 slot, as per my knowledge the 1 & 2 can only support m.2 SATA SSD and not NVMe, and 3 & 4 both should support both SATA & NVMe SSD's, yet the 2 Kingston SSD that arrived yesterday is not being detected by the BIOS or the Operating System, I had a 970 EVO Plus NVMe and that works in both 3 & 4 systems, so its not a slot issue, and I am not sure what the issue is as I don't think both SSD's can be DOA.

Any ideas?
M.2 slot is more of a form factor.
It's the connecting interface/protocol that matters to get drives working.

The drives that you have bought have the interface - SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) – with backwards compatibility to SATA Rev. 2.0 as mentioned on the product page - https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/a400-solid-state-drive

The systems that you have provide for PCI-Express based expansion only.

You need to purchase SSDs with NVME protocol, which use PCI-Express, instead of SATA SSDs.
For example - https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/a2000-nvme-pcie-ssd

NOTE - Before going ahead do check the SSD keys (B,M etc), and the number of PIC-E lanes available on your system and the required by SSD for maximum performance.

Last edited:
Hi,

Any ideas?
970 Evo plus is a NVMe drive, so the fact that it works does not mean that a SATA m.2 drive will work in the same slot. Like ashok mentioned above, please take a detailed look at your PC specification and see if any of them support SATA m.2 ssd's.

Maybe changing the nvme states in bios might help detect those drives sometimes.
Like X3 or X4 versions are being specified in some bioses while these drives will support the same configurations and vice versa
There is no such option in the bios.
I bought same from Amazon. As soon as I opened the box, some small microchip/register fell out. Returned it, and replacement had same issue. Finally dropped it.
Well I had the same hunch here, cause the SSD's were packed too tightly together in a cardboard wrap instead of bubble wrap, I felt it was kind of bent but when laid flat on the table it wasn't
M.2 slot is more of a form factor.
It's the connecting interface/protocol that matters to get drives working.

The drives that you have bought have the interface - SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) – with backwards compatibility to SATA Rev. 2.0 as mentioned on the product page - https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/a400-solid-state-drive

The systems that you have provide for PCI-Express based expansion only.

You need to purchase SSDs with NVME protocol, which use PCI-Express, instead of SATA SSDs.
For example - https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/a2000-nvme-pcie-ssd

NOTE - Before going ahead do check the SSD keys (B,M etc), and the number of PIC-E lanes available on your system and the required by SSD for maximum performance.
970 Evo plus is a NVMe drive, so the fact that it works does not mean that a SATA m.2 drive will work in the same slot. Like ashok mentioned above, please take a detailed look at your PC specification and see if any of them support SATA m.2 ssd's.
Ok So I've learned something new today, I was always under the impression that a PCIe M.2 slot supports both NVMe and SATA, whereas a SATA m.2 slot only supports the B+M Key SSD's. I had to go to PrimeABGB today to get it replaced as I thought it was DOA, went there tested on 1 of the AMD systems with B450 motherboard, placed it in Slot 2 both the SSD's were not detected, so they took another M.2 SATA SSD and inserted in the same slot it didn't, we changed to Slot 1 and all 3 SSD's were working :oops:
So they were kind enough to offer me an upgrade to NVMe SSD without any restocking fee. I took the Gigabyte M.2 NVMe 128GB SSD.

There is no such option in the bios.

Well I had the same hunch here, cause the SSD's were packed too tightly together in a cardboard wrap instead of bubble wrap, I felt it was kind of bent but when laid flat on the table it wasn't

Ok So I've learned something new today, I was always under the impression that a PCIe M.2 slot supports both NVMe and SATA, whereas a SATA m.2 slot only supports the B+M Key SSD's. I had to go to PrimeABGB today to get it replaced as I thought it was DOA, went there tested on 1 of the AMD systems with B450 motherboard, placed it in Slot 2 both the SSD's were not detected, so they took another M.2 SATA SSD and inserted in the same slot it didn't, we changed to Slot 1 and all 3 SSD's were working :oops:
So they were kind enough to offer me an upgrade to NVMe SSD without any restocking fee. I took the Gigabyte M.2 NVMe 128GB SSD.
Glad to hear that things went smooth at PrimeABGB where they offered you an upgrade to a NVMe drive.

So they were kind enough to offer me an upgrade to NVMe SSD without any restocking fee.
Are two completely different teams running their brick and mortar and online operations? You only hear negative feedback about online purchases, while people who go to the store seem to have good experiences.

Hi,

Any ideas?
What upgrade in M2 ssd did you use for system2 - HP Elitedesk 800 G1?

Back