240v to 120v....how?

Wraith

Skilled
Well i just realised what a blunder i have made...

I just received the Pioneer 1018AH-K receiver and PS3 from amazon but being in the US the both items work on 120v
Now i am coming to India next week and want to figure whats the best way to make these work in India??
Any help is appreciated!

Even if not readily available, any small transformer winding firm will easily make the 2:1 step down transformer for you. Just tell him to make one with a little more wattage than the power requirement of your device.

As far as i know You just cant make it with the Step down transformer, You need to buy one converter, Because of Frequence, We get 240V at 50hz you need to change it to 120v at 60Hz.

Lozil said:
As far as i know You just cant make it with the Step down transformer, You need to buy one converter, Because of Frequence, We get 240V at 50hz you need to change it to 120v at 60Hz.

most of the devices can work with 50 hz,and u need a step down transformer,since most of the IC based convertors arent ment for electronic devices they are made for electrical devices like coffee maker,hair dryer etc.

You'll need a pretty heavy duty (= expensive) step down for the Pioneer though

See if you can still return the Pio...

The PS3 should be fine with a good moderate sized transformer...and doesnt the PS3 have a 100-240 V (SMPS based) power input?

These converters are easily available. In Bangalore, it's available at S.P road. I have been using many for quite some time. The pricing :

20W MX brand: ~150 INR
50W MX brand: ~190 INR
500W (6 mnths warranty): ~850
1000W (6 mnths warranty): ~1250

1500W,2000W versions were also available. Don't know the price though.

Just be sure that the converter can easily handle the load or it will blow off! Always use a higher rated converter than your device.

BTW, how much power wattage does the Pioneer use? and PS?

Nomad said:
These converters are easily available. In Bangalore, it's available at S.P road. I have been using many for quite some time. The pricing :

20W MX brand: ~150 INR
50W MX brand: ~190 INR
500W (6 mnths warranty): ~850
1000W (6 mnths warranty): ~1250

1500W,2000W versions were also available. Don't know the price though.

Just be sure that the converter can easily handle the load or it will blow off! Always use a higher rated converter than your device.

BTW, how much power wattage does the Pioneer use? and PS?

well i bought a 1000watts trnasfomer based convertor from sp road costed me 2200 and this was the heaviest of the all the convertors that i saw.

adder said:
well i bought a 1000watts trnasfomer based convertor from sp road costed me 2200 and this was the heaviest of the all the convertors that i saw.

I got mine from Pankaj electronics. It's about 4 shops before Ankit. Ph: 9341215140. He gave me a 6 months warranty on it. It's been around two months. No problems so far.

These converters are quite heavy.

Got the step down transformer made...ps3 is working like an absolute charm :D

Will check the receiever later when i get the speakers delivered....

^^ I got it made in Nasik for a local company which makes stabilizers n stuff like that.

The step down transformer has a wattage of 1200 and it costed me Rs 3500/- not bad at all!

There are small available for 200-500 rs.

I'm using one of it for my panasonic stereo system.

Works well, it looks just like multiplug.

Well i need to power a Pioneer AV receiver also thats why i have got the high wattage...

^ You're confusing between the audio power vs. the electrical power. The audio power stated for the receiver here is the peak power rating calculated by the peak Current and Voltage, while the actual rating is the based on RMS values so you will need to divide the the peak power by the square of root 2 (ie. 2) to get the power rating of the receiver, which comes out to be 500 W.

I've been using my 1000W receiver and a 200 W woofer using a 750 W transformer without any problems. Got it at around 1.5 K from S P Road Bangalore. Although I also use a Monster power conditioner just in case there is an issue with the 50-60 Hz thingy or any other electricity problems here in India to be really sure :)

Back