Monitors 27" or 32" 2K Monitor?

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Hello folks,

I currently have an Acer ED322Q Full HD Curved Monitor on which I game and have been using for the last 4 years. It's a VA panel (75hz). GPU used is a Asus Dual Radeon RX6600.

I was thinking whether I should change my monitor to a 27" IPS 2K monitor? Will the sacrifice in screen area be worth the increase in resolution and higher refresh rate (144hz)?
Like getting this monitor:

Acer Nitro VG271U 27 inch (68.58 cm) IPS

Or should I get this 32" LG Ultragear (VA Panel) instead as this has the same screen size that I'm currently using (non-curve) with 2K and 165hz:

LG Ultragear - 32Gn650 Qhd 32" - VA Panel

I play only Single Player games and not into MP games whatsoever. Distance from my monitor to me is 3 feet.

Kindly advice.

For gaming, you could also try adding a custom 2560x1440 desktop resolution in your AMD software. Running games in 2K on a FHD panel would look significantly better and may be a good fit for the RX 6600, which may not be able to leverage the high refresh of a better monitor.

Hello folks,

I currently have an Acer ED322Q Full HD Curved Monitor on which I game and have been using for the last 4 years. It's a VA panel (75hz). GPU used is a Asus Dual Radeon RX6600.

I was thinking whether I should change my monitor to a 27" IPS 2K monitor? Will the sacrifice in screen area be worth the increase in resolution and higher refresh rate (144hz)?
Like getting this monitor:

Acer Nitro VG271U 27 inch (68.58 cm) IPS

Or should I get this 32" LG Ultragear (VA Panel) instead as this has the same screen size that I'm currently using (non-curve) with 2K and 165hz:

LG Ultragear - 32Gn650 Qhd 32" - VA Panel

I play only Single Player games and not into MP games whatsoever. Distance from my monitor to me is 3 feet.

Kindly advice.
I would choose IPS panel even though I have both of the size but in IPS itself so no idea of VA. 32" is love and 27 inch is comfort! My monitors are 1 hand distance or more and so can tell by experience, go for 27 if for productivity else 32 inch for entertainment!

I said the same in the other thread, unless screen space is of high importance to you, get the IPS. I had a VA (older version of that LG you are looking at) and I got an IPS as an upgrade and honestly, the difference in image quality is VERY noticeable.

As far as refresh rate is concerned, 144Hz is absolutely fantastic but I have never felt the need for it in SP games. I crank settings to the best my GPU will let me do and aim for 60 FPS. The only exception I can think of is Doom where I absolutely WANT 144hz.

So if you dont play MP games at all (and with that GPU) 60-75hz is good enough. You are more likely to get a better experience turning up the settings and playing at 60FPS than turning them down to play at 144hz.

So I guess a non gaming 60hz 32 inch IPS might be worth looking into as well.

I have both LG 32" VA & 27" IPS 1440P 144Hz monitors. Simply put, 32" VA is ez on my eyes but the colors look dull. 27" IPS is sharp (high PPI), colors are accurate & more pronounced as expected from IPS panel.

If you've the budget, choose something like 32" IPS 165Hz 32GP850-B.

Will the sacrifice in screen area be worth the increase in resolution and higher refresh rate (144hz)
Feel like you'll have to see for yourself on this. You can of course get to know how others who've used both 32" & 27" monitors feel. But, don't think it's a good idea to base your purchase decision on that. Try visiting a showroom or people you know who use such monitor.

As for the choice of monitor, it is often a better approach to decide budget first and then look for best monitors that money can buy. I think options for 27" 2K monitors are more than that of 32".

I have both LG 32" VA & 27" IPS 1440P 144Hz monitors. Simply put, 32" VA is ez on my eyes but the colors look dull. 27" IPS is sharp (high PPI), colors are accurate & more pronounced as expected from IPS panel.

If you've the budget, choose something like 32" IPS 165Hz 32GP850-B.
Putting colour accuracy down to the panel-type is not correct. For the same colour gamut, the VA panel will look much better because of the higher contrast ratio and the absence of IPS glow. It is also the reason that most high-end LED TVs are VA panel and IPS is sold at the lower end.

IPS is more useful where you need the viewing angles, a much higher color gamut or better response times.

Putting colour accuracy down to the panel-type is not correct. For the same colour gamut, the VA panel will look much better because of the higher contrast ratio and the absence of IPS glow. It is also the reason that most high-end LED TVs are VA panel and IPS is sold at the lower end.

IPS is more useful where you need the viewing angles, a much higher color gamut or better response times.
Have you actually used LG VA/IPS monitors side by side ?

I have both monitors calibrated and using side-by-side for 2 years now. The LG VA panel colors are dull & unimpressive even with high contrast ratio. That is all i notice.
This 32GN650 is also not G-sync compatible as adv by amazon. I'd take IPS Glow over any mediocre 32" VA monitor from LG.
But if you're on a budget, then by all means 35GN650 is a good choice.

FWIW a curved 32" monitor somehow appeared to be smaller than a regular flat 32" at the same distance, so a 27" flat may appear only slightly smaller than a 32" curved.

Make sure your GPU can actually push out higher frames at higher res in the games you play, since you will be increasing both. Else either higher Hz or higher res, not both. I'd prioritize a bump in resolution - 1080p to 1440p will be really noticeable at 32"

Have you actually used LG VA/IPS monitors side by side ?

I have both monitors calibrated and using side-by-side for 2 years now. The LG VA panel colors are dull & unimpressive even with high contrast ratio. That is all i notice.
This 32GN650 is also not G-sync compatible as adv by amazon. I'd take IPS Glow over any mediocre 32" VA monitor from LG.
But if you're on a budget, then by all means 35GN650 is a good choice.
Yes, I have used 100% sRGB monitors side-by-side and the IPS panels look underwhelming. Calibration is not of much help if the panel inherently is an inferior one with lower colour gamut. If the IPS panel has significantly higher colour gamut, then I can understand it being better. Personally though, the contrast of VA panels and the uniform blacks punch through, all other things being equal.

The G-Sync variants with G-Sync Ultimate cost more I believe, but all of them support FreeSync as available in G-Sync Compatible, which is how they market these products.

Last edited:
Back