Storage Solutions 2tb hdd died, lost 1.5tb data.

If cloud is too expensive, you should at least have 2 copies locally. Preferably one offline and one online. Sync up weekly or so.

Mechanical drive reliability has gone down significantly in general. I have an old 80GB PATA drive which still works from 2007, but have had 3 more recent drives fail me.

Same will probably also happen for SSDs once the prices fall even more. People are always trying to maximize profits by cutting down on quality in the name of optimization.

Also, in case you plan to use SSDs, remember to power them up regularly as they tend to lose the data over time if stored without power.

Advice must be sought on which is the best hdd 4tb and above atheist , to store " study material " :) also a post on good hdd deals must be made , as nowadays "study materials at 4k resolution " easily crosses 5 to 10 gb ;-) .
Sorry for crapping this thread.
I shall see myself out .

R4hul on a serious note , always have two seperate backups on two seperate brand hdd for better safety. Also also atleast one of those two drives must be offline and external after backup .
This is what I do for my important files anyway .
Also if possible cloud storage , if space less for cloud storage then multiple accounts to be made for the same .
Hope this is of any use .
Cheers !
Ankush .

Right now I'm thinking of keeping my data in ssd. I guess flash should be much more reliable than the hdd

True, but SSDs also can die out.

Seen this with Intel, Samsung and ADATA.

Ideally follow the 3-2-1 rule. Cloud is not that expensive. Please do not use it for ahem stuff, if detected the account holder may get a ban

R4hul on a serious note , always have two seperate backups on two seperate brand hdd for better safety. Also also atleast one of those two drives must be offline and external after backup .
This is what I do for my important files anyway .
Also if possible cloud storage , if space less for cloud storage then multiple accounts to be made for the same .
Hope this is of any use .
Cheers !
Ankush .
Yeah.. thinking of going flash for main backup. Then 2 2tb hdd for two local backup. Cloud price is high. If I get any offer in cloud will take that.

Follow this guide (you need atleast two drives, you can mix external drive with internal) to enable RAID like configuration that reduces data loss in such scenarios. All existing data on the drives will be wiped clean. If you have two drives of different sizes, the final volume size will be equal to the space on smaller drive. If you hook up 1TB and 2TB drives, you will have a 1TB volume and that extra TB on second drive is wasted.

Advice must be sought on which is the best hdd 4tb and above atheist , to store " study material " :) also a post on good hdd deals must be made , as nowadays "study materials at 4k resolution " easily crosses 5 to 10 gb ;-) .
Sorry for crapping this thread.
I shall see myself out .
Ye Konsa 4k Study Material he ? Or dekh kaha rahe ho tum :tearsofjoy:

The data was important but the hdd is only showing 3gb space. Also checked on google pretty common issue with Seagate drives

The data was important but the hdd is only showing 3gb space. Also checked on google pretty common issue with Seagate drives
You can use linux live CD and may be fix it

maybe ur mft / mbr suffred from bad sector , you still have a chance ,thorough chkdsk /f /r might get your issue fixed there are many tools which could help you out and help you recover most of it or you can use linux live CD and may be fix it

initial windows 10 builds had this issue of making the whole partitions as RAW.

Can't do anything. It shows only 3gb space which is unallocated. Based on internet, it will require physical manipulation to recover the data. Which will cost a lot of money. So I'm ok right now. Reaching out to people whom I got the data.

Back