2x24" with Mounting Arm or 32" for Development and lot of text-related work

tech.monk

Adept
Currently I have 2x24" Dual Monitor setup and mounting arm bought from Amazon is giving me flexibility to adjust height as well.

I'm contemplating on 32" 2K monitor and replace my Dual Monitor setup with it.

I seat approx 12-16 inches away (typical computer table top setup) from 2x4" setup and will be keeping the same arrangement if I switch to 32".

Can anyone chime in with experience on this. My primary use case is development or lot of text-related work and no gaming + no content consumption.

I researched online but instead of drawing conclusion out of it I'm getting more confused.

I thought a dual monitor setup is more flexible especially if you want to use one in vertical and one in horizontal. I sometimes do and hence prefer that.
I know some would prefer to get one widescreen and replace both like one of my friends did.
It would really be down to your use case and preferences.

I too have 2x 24'' setup. My monitors are mounted vertical (one above the other, both are in landscape) though. I also do developing. Like iBose said, it's what you like. I have used dual horizontal monitor setup for a decade. And I'm using my current setup for last 5 years. For me personally, I'd always go for multi monitor.

I have been using a dual 24inch monitor setup for more than 3 years. I work for a large CRM software company so I have to stare at those monitors at least 8 hours a day. :D The best working position for a dual monitor setup is to setup the primary monitor in front of you and to position the secondary at an angle to the primary. This works but then you have to turn your head (for extended periods at a time) if you need to constantly look at the contents on the secondary monitor. And I have found that this setup gets uncomfortable when working for longer durations ( it could also be my lack of fitness :p ).

In India, we don't have the concept of spare/study rooms, so we end up making most of the existing spaces. So a dual monitor setup can add bulk to the table/working space. Plus the additional wiring adds to the clutter and creates spaces for dust bunnies to hide. I believe in minimalism so I feel two monitors add to the clutter. There is one extra power cable, a data cable and the mounting arm on the table.

So, given the chance, I would redo my WFH setup with a single large 34" curved monitor. :)

Back