32 bit OS on C: and 64 bit on D:

prince_20003

Disciple
Hello guys...

i want to install 32 bit XP on c: and 64 bit Windows 7 ultimate on D: ..:huh:

i wanna know is it possible??

Since m an engg student hav lots of softwares which dont run on 64 bit os :(
on the other hand i dont even want to avoid using Beautiful & powerful 64 bit OS like win 7...becoz have some 64 bit engg app that use max memory which cant be runned to their extreme extent on 32 bit XP ...

plzzz help me....

I presume you are not trying to run both the 32bit and 64bit versions parallely. If that's NOT the case, then it's an installation just like any other.

prince_20003 said:
Hello guys...

i want to install 32 bit XP on c: and 64 bit Windows 7 ultimate on D: ..:huh:

i wanna know is it possible??

Since m an engg student hav lots of softwares which dont run on 64 bit os :(

on the other hand i dont even want to avoid using Beautiful & powerful 64 bit OS like win 7...becoz have some 64 bit engg app that use max memory which cant be runned to their extreme extent on 32 bit XP ...

plzzz help me....

Yes, its possible and straightforward. just install them separate partitions.

But There is a better Option which won't need a reboot, I suggest this one. Install win7 64bit and run all other apps under Windows XP mode - which essentially runs XP inside win7 by virtualization.

Set Up and Use XP Mode in Windows 7 - Windows 7 XP Mode - Lifehacker

1.Install xp x32 on c:

2.install xp x64 on d:

-u'll automatically get the dual boot option at system startup if it's enabled from BIOS(generally enabled)

i hope u do have a x64 proccy?

ajab.ghajab said:
I presume you are not trying to run both the 32bit and 64bit versions parallely. If that's NOT the case, then it's an installation just like any other.

parallely means??:huh: ...m rookie in these stuff :ashamed:

M@crosoft said:
1.Install xp x32 on c:
2.install xp x64 on d:
-u'll automatically get the dual boot option at system startup if it's enabled from BIOS(generally enabled)

i hope u do have a x64 proccy?

yaa Athlon II X4 630...

But i want 64 bit Windows 7 not XP

Gaurish said:
But There is a better Option which won't need a reboot, I suggest this one. Install win7 64bit and run all other apps under Windows XP mode - which essentially runs XP inside win7 by virtualization.

Set Up and Use XP Mode in Windows 7 - Windows 7 XP Mode - Lifehacker

it something like using microsoft Virtual PC ???

prince_20003 said:
parallely means??:huh: ...m rookie in these stuff :ashamed:

yaa Athlon II X4 630...

But i want 64 bit Windows 7 not XP

it something like using microsoft Virtual PC ???

Yes. It is Virtual PC but more tightly integrated with host os.you can also use VMware player and install whatever OS you want. I suggest you to give it a shot, see that works out for you:)

Gaurish said:
Yes. It is Virtual PC but more tightly integrated with host os.you can also use VMware player and install whatever OS you want. I suggest you to give it a shot, see that works out for you:)

i tried it once on my VAIO C2D p8400 2.26 Ghz, 3 Gb ddr2, 125 Gb hdd, Vista Home premium

i installed XP using virtual PC.... but when i use to start XP virtual mode...system use to go terribly slow :S:S

i had to remove all those applications then :(

prince_20003 said:
i tried it once on my VAIO C2D p8400 2.26 Ghz, 3 Gb ddr2, 125 Gb hdd, Vista Home premium

i installed XP using virtual PC.... but when i use to start XP virtual mode...system use to go terribly slow :S:S

Hmmm..

Does not happen with me.I run Windows XP Virtual machine on my 64bit Linux box. the average CPU about 30-40% with system fully responsive.

What's more interesting is hardware config is cheap compared to yours. Intel E5300, 2GB Memory, Nvidia 9600GT.I have the two OSes running all the time with lots of other applications.

perhaps some background tasks eating the resource?

prince_20003 said:
gaurish tell me..

if i dont want to run those 2 os parellely then can i easily install those two on separate drives using dual boot na???? :huh:

Yes But then you will have to reboot everytime, whereas with Virtualization there is no reboot required and you can work on both OS at same time.

prince_20003 said:

I didn`t face any such issue with my virtual environment. Note that for the virtual machine you will have to allocate a respectable amount of RAM for its smooth performance. And for windows 7 that should be atleast 512mb.

Seeing your configuration which is better than mine, i am shocked that Virtual PC is running slow on your system, while in my case is running smoothly.

prince_20003 said:
gaurish tell me..

if i dont want to run those 2 os parellely then can i easily install those two on separate drives using dual boot na???? :huh:

And he is correct with that, (though I don't understand what he meant by parrallely.

I have Win7 64 bit & win XP 32 bit installed in two partitions, make sure you install win7 over XP.

Second XP mode in Win7 is nothing but virtual PC running on top of windows 7, its there to provide compatibility to applications which can not execute in windows 7(also exist natively). And for the uders who are so used to of working in XP that Win7 new features feels like PITA. to them.

adi_vastava said:
And he is correct with that, (though I don't understand what he meant by parrallely.

I have Win7 64 bit & win XP 32 bit installed in two partitions, make sure you install win7 over XP.

Second XP mode in Win7 is nothing but virtual PC running on top of windows 7, its there to provide compatibility to applications which can not execute in windows 7(also exist natively). And for the uders who are so used to of working in XP that Win7 new features feels like PITA. to them.

thankss..:)

but there wont be any conflicts between 2 OS while running na??

^^ Not at all My brother :),

looks like you are new with computers, no worries at all.

I have actually used 3 OS in three partitions, just make sure you install XP first and than Win7. And you'll be good to go. Later on if you feel that you do not want to use XP or the XP compatibility mode is good for you, you can remove XP too.

good luck.

Back