CPU/Mobo 3900x not posting on power up [emoji17]

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
Well the story is short. System was right before 6 days. Due to work I was using the old system and not the 3900x one. Yesterday tried to start the system for some work and the only thing I got was click sound here the fans spins for a split second and then nothing happens as system turns off. Then you try to press the power button and it won’t even give you click sound. Red light for cpu lights up for that split second. Tried removing everything connected components, removed cmos and still same result.

What can be wrong with it ?

Well the story is short. System was right before 6 days. Due to work I was using the old system and not the 3900x one. Yesterday tried to start the system for some work and the only thing I got was click sound here the fans spins for a split second and then nothing happens as system turns off. Then you try to press the power button and it won’t even give you click sound. Red light for cpu lights up for that split second. Tried removing everything connected components, removed cmos and still same result.

What can be wrong with it ?
What is your motherboard?
Same happening to me also with Ryzen 3600 + MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC.

I faced this issue quite a bit with older AGESA based BIOS on my X370 CH6+3900X combo if I tweaked the voltage/memory in the UEFI.

I had to restart every time after doing a BIOS flashback with the dedicated BIOS flashback button to reset the BIOS to its defaults. I gave up on tweaking the BIOS after that and set my voltage/memory parameters in Ryzen Master and it has been hassle free since then.

@bssunilreddy follow this approach after downloading the latest BIOS-

@princeoo7 I seem to have forgotten your mobo model. Can you try the same?

Oh my god
Yours is Max Mobo then going with MSI is seems to be suicide again in case of changing the Mobo.
I think it's better to go with Asrock or Gigabyte this time.
Gigabyte/Asus are no better with BIOS. AsRock though did really well for Zen 2 it seems going by their sales numbers but I don't know of any anectodal experience for the same.

P.S. you have to do BIOS flashback using a FAT32 USB drive. If you use the Q-Flash/M-Flash options in the BIOS itself or from Windows Flash utility the BIOS does not get updated fully in some cases. BIOS flashback is the recommended way for a clean wipe and upgrade BIOS.

Try flashing latest 1.0.04 ABBA BIOS,CMOS reset and then boot with default settings. Later you can tweak in Ryzen Master once the stupid BIOS is sorted out.
The PC might take 4-5 mins for the first boot after BIOS flash and CMOS reset as it will have to do memory training.

Gigabyte/Asus are no better with BIOS. AsRock though did really well for Zen 2 it seems going by their sales numbers but I don't know of any anectodal experience for the same.

P.S. you have to do BIOS flashback using a FAT32 USB drive. If you use the Q-Flash/M-Flash options in the BIOS itself or from Windows Flash utility the BIOS does not get updated fully in some cases. BIOS flashback is the recommended way for a clean wipe and upgrade BIOS.

Try flashing latest 1.0.04 ABBA BIOS,CMOS reset and then boot with default settings. Later you can tweak in Ryzen Master once the stupid BIOS is sorted out.
The PC might take 4-5 mins for the first boot after BIOS flash and CMOS reset as it will have to do memory training.
Will try some things today. As of last time I checked, my board was on latest bios from factory itself so I don't think it should give the issue. Still try to update it.

Also I won't even post to bios as machine only starts for a split sec and then stops [emoji30]

image-2020-03-06-12:09:32-652.jpg

Finally got it working. The trick was to remove the gpu and start giving it CPR treatment [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Lol I should have recorded it to how it responds. Literally brought the dead back to life [emoji28]

In short at least run your system daily for 15 mins or so. Even though the power cord and all external components where remove, this will be the issue.

I have this practice to remove all external power source after shut down.

The scenario you are referring to is called cold boot where you try to boot in after all external power is switched off to the PC which has been shutdown before i.e.
1) Shutdown PC
2) Turn off UPS/switchboard power or the PSU switch
3)Turn on UPS/switchboard power or the PSU switch
4) Boot PC(cold boot)

If you shutdown the PC but not the external power it goes into S5 sleep state which you can ascertain since some mobo status LEDs will be on.

I had the same issue with every cold boot if I touched any BIOS settings.

Ryzen is good and all but its quite finicky compared to Intel.The software side of AMD still lags a lot and then we have the mobo vendors as the cherry on top who employ monkeys for wriiting BIOS IMHO.

What did you do exactly with the GPU?

Last edited:
The scenario you are referring to is called cold boot where you try to boot in after all external power is switched off to the PC which has been shutdown before i.e.
1) Shutdown PC
2) Turn off UPS/switchboard power
3)Turn on UPS/switchboard power
4) Boot PC(cold boot)

If you shutdown the PC but not the external power it goes into S5 sleep state which you can ascertain since some mobo status LEDs will be on.

I had the same issue with every cold boot if I touched any BIOS settings.

Ryzen is good and all but its a lot finicky compared to Intel.The software side of AMD still lags a lot and then we have the mobo vendors as the cherry on top who employ monkeys for wriiting BIOS IMHO.

What did you do exactly with the GPU?
Well from my experience with amd 1055t before. First I tried the power on off thing, then CMOS clear, till this time it was giving me the cpu red light blink. Then removed the gpu, and tried for 3 to 4 times. Now the motherboard will blink cpu, gpu and then the last (4th) led. So it was the indication for me that cpu was ok. I mounted the gpu again and tried on off. Again got the cpu red light only. So removed the gpu and did the cold boot for around 30 times. And every time I did it, the time frame for machine running increase. That's why called that experience like giving cpr [emoji12] and at last, it work [emoji56]

Normally I would remove everything expect processor. But first gpu and then try the everything detached method. As this cpu don't have igpu, it can many times be the glitch in gpu and cpu communication.

Last edited:
I faced this issue quite a bit with older AGESA based BIOS on my X370 CH6+3900X combo if I tweaked the voltage/memory in the UEFI.

I had to restart every time after doing a BIOS flashback with the dedicated BIOS flashback button to reset the BIOS to its defaults. I gave up on tweaking the BIOS after that and set my voltage/memory parameters in Ryzen Master and it has been hassle free since then.

@bssunilreddy follow this approach after downloading the latest BIOS-

@princeoo7 I seem to have forgotten your mobo model. Can you try the same?
Now booting after Bios Flashback done several times and I dont know how much time will it last?
Done everything several times but could not boot until now.
A repair man came and flashed the bios and now it is booting but could not guarantee how much long it will last.
Need to see.

Update: I ordered MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and its going to come tomorrow. Should I change the Mobo? I think these 16MB Bios Chips are giving a lot of problems.

Now booting after Bios Flashback done several times and I dont know how much time will it last?
Done everything several times but could not boot until now.
A repair man came and flashed the bios and now it is booting but could not guarantee how much long it will last.
Need to see.

Update: I ordered MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and its going to come tomorrow. Should I change the Mobo? I think these 16MB Bios Chips are giving a lot of problems.
I never faced the cold boot issue with this board till now. The issue was it was not in use for 6 days so may be...

All other manufacturers are using 128MB Bios Chips while MSI is still using 16MB & 32MB Bios Chips.
Really shameful of MSI...
Ahh you're making the same mistake I did. Its Mb not MB. Shifty buggers. So it works out to 128/8=16 MB.

1583505215400.png

Post automatically merged:

So should MSI now stand for "My Shitty Issues" :p
Add to that the X570 range seems way overpriced compared to the competition this time.

Back