3D printing (miniatures) in Delhi?

So I want to get into painting Miniatures. Here is an example of what I mean -

Now I have the 3D models with me. Infact I have a bucket load of 3D models in STL format. But I have no clue where to get them printed or even what to ask the print guys when I get there lol.

Anyone have any experience in this?

I do 3D printing for myself and did some miniature painting a while ago.
TBF - it's not an easy hobby (miniatures) to get into, excluding the cost factor.

If you are able, resin printers will provide the best results for miniature prints compared to FDM.
But, if you want to get into 3D printing in general, a regular 3D printer that prints PLA and PETG will be really nice. You won't get the resolution of a resin printer because of some limitations to size.
If you don't want to 3D print on your own, find a resin 3D printing service and send them the STLs for printing.

There are plenty of tutorials on how to paint miniatures on YT.

I do 3D printing for myself and did some miniature painting a while ago.
TBF - it's not an easy hobby (miniatures) to get into, excluding the cost factor.

If you are able, resin printers will provide the best results for miniature prints compared to FDM.
But, if you want to get into 3D printing in general, a regular 3D printer that prints PLA and PETG will be really nice. You won't get the resolution of a resin printer because of some limitations to size.
If you don't want to 3D print on your own, find a resin 3D printing service and send them the STLs for printing.

There are plenty of tutorials on how to paint miniatures on YT.

I definitely do not want to print on my own, not right now. Since I am just starting out, what I was hoping to do is to find a place in Delhi that can print out a batch of 20-30 miniatures in resin. If I really get into the hobby, I would consider getting a 3D printer but I dont think starting up justifies the cost of owning a printer.

I have a couple of questions. If I find a place that can do the printing for me, is just handing them STL files enough? How do they know what size the miniature should be? Does the STL file have that data in it or do I just tell them i want it to be XX mm in height or whatever?

Second question, how much does it cost to print a set of 20-30 miniatures around 40mm in height? Rough figure would be useful so I know what to expect.

robu.in has a printing service. You can upload the stl and it will show the cost.
Robu.in is in general a reliable site, but I have not used their 3d printing service.

The STL will have data regarding the size. But it would be great make sure your files are actually meant for 3D printing and are not just 3D models.

What I mean is
1. they should ideally have "supports" - some designers who release models also release versions with supports. These are added structures that support overhanging parts that are discarded during post-processing after the print. If your file does not include supports then they will be auto-added by software but the position of auto-added supports might not be perfect and this could lead to print failure.
2. depending on the design they have drain holes to allow resin to drain out and not create vacuum forces while printing (which can lead to print failure) or not have uncured liquid resin entrapped inside your final print.

3D printing, especially resin, is not always as simple as click print on a file and get the print out; there might be some trial and error. Having said this, Robu.in is a very nice service, they are reasonably priced and have instant fully online quotes after you upload your files.

The STL will have data regarding the size. But it would be great make sure your files are actually meant for 3D printing and are not just 3D models.

What I mean is
1. they should ideally have "supports" - some designers who release models also release versions with supports. These are added structures that support overhanging parts that are discarded during post-processing after the print. If your file does not include supports then they will be auto-added by software but the position of auto-added supports might not be perfect and this could lead to print failure.
2. depending on the design they have drain holes to allow resin to drain out and not create vacuum forces while printing (which can lead to print failure) or not have uncured liquid resin entrapped inside your final print.

3D printing, especially resin, is not always as simple as click print on a file and get the print out; there might be some trial and error. Having said this, Robu.in is a very nice service, they are reasonably priced and have instant fully online quotes after you upload your files.
Good point - supports are a pain. Even FDM isn't straightforward. I printed a really good Alien model, but the supports were terrible and I ended up breaking the model while removing supports.
I definitely do not want to print on my own, not right now. Since I am just starting out, what I was hoping to do is to find a place in Delhi that can print out a batch of 20-30 miniatures in resin. If I really get into the hobby, I would consider getting a 3D printer but I dont think starting up justifies the cost of owning a printer.

I have a couple of questions. If I find a place that can do the printing for me, is just handing them STL files enough? How do they know what size the miniature should be? Does the STL file have that data in it or do I just tell them i want it to be XX mm in height or whatever?

Second question, how much does it cost to print a set of 20-30 miniatures around 40mm in height? Rough figure would be useful so I know what to expect.
20-30 are way too many to begin with. Start with 5 and decide if you want to go down this rabbit hole.

Costs to figure in
1. Paints (you'll be using high quality acrylic paints mostly)
2. Brushes
3. Airbrush
4. Primer
5. Epoxy/CA glue to fill in gaps/join pieces
6. Cost of 3D resin prints
7. Cost of time

Do not expect to get results like what they're sharing on YouTube within the first couple of months, it's years of practice with miniature artists.
Here are a couple of good tutorials.

Ok so slight update. Spoke with one place that does 3D prints. The price they quoted was 4k for 5 minatures. If that is the price then I might as well buy them legit from Warhammer lol. Infact that would be cheaper.

Gonna talk to a few other places and update this thread just incase someone else goes down the same rabbit hole lol.

And yea, I am not expecting high quality results. And thats ok. No one bangs out a flawless Chopin composition when they are starting to learn the piano. I only want to do it because I think this is something I will enjoy and find relaxing.

Resin costs around 4000-6000 a kg. You can estimate the weight of your print and calculate the material cost. On top of that you need cleaning supplies (isopropyl alcohol, gloves), a UV light with a platform etc to cure it, support removal and perhaps light wet sanding as well which adds to the labor cost.

From my experience the resin material cost for one miniature could be in the ₹200-₹400 range; depends on the model size, wall thickness, internal fill structure, supports and overhangs, and number of failed prints. So a commercial quote of ₹400 - ₹800 per is not crazy.

Check out Robu's quote, else try to find some enthusiast who can print them for you. The enthusiast will be able to ignore labor costs and machine time which a commercial shop might not.

I want to get this printed in black color:

After uploading the file, got a quote from Robu.in of Rs.309 + 49 shipping.

Also it is asking for some options and I selected default options. Can someone who has knowledge confirm if default options will be good?

Also, if a TE member wants to print it (at a cost of course), please PM.

Attachments

• featured_preview_Nvidia_Shield_TV_Pro_2019_Stand.png
    featured_preview_Nvidia_Shield_TV_Pro_2019_Stand.png
    169 KB · Views: 32
I want to get this printed in black color:

After uploading the file, got a quote from Robu.in of Rs.309 + 49 shipping.

Also it is asking for some options and I selected default options. Can someone who has knowledge confirm if default options will be good?

Also, if a TE member wants to print it (at a cost of course), please PM.
You can mimic the print settings especially the infill from Thingverse instead of the Robu defaults and see if it lowers the cost -

Back