3G Auction Winners

Hope Aircel brings out good 3G plans like their 2G ones.

With the coming of MNP the Indian Telecom scene will change like anything.

vb86 said:
Operators can provide 3G services from 1st September.

The operators have to pay around 50% of the money within a few days(I think around 7 days max) and the remaining part has to be paid when they get the spectrum. That is what I read some days ago.

This statement clearly indicates that spectrum is not yet ready. If spectrum was ready, the goverment would have had taken all the money at one time and given them the spectrum.

TRAI has indicated that the Defence ministry may vacate the required spectrum by 1st September. But there may be delays as the fibre optic network construction by BSNL has not yet even started.

So everyone, do not get your hopes up too much.

Till now, the defence forces have only vacated 5Mhz spectrum only i.e the min amount possible which was done to allow BSNL and MTNL to start their services.

A lot depends on the whim and fancy of the defence ministry.

My personal opinion is that 3G services will start after another 6 months to 1 year only.

geek ashish said:
Where are govt companies? MTNL and BSNL ???

But MTNl has already started 3G service in Mumbai. Dadar and south

Do you read newspapers or pay attention to the news?

BSNL and MTNL have already been allotted the spectrum. They have to pay the government the highest bid price of every circle i.e they have to match the highest bid of the private operators of every respective circle.

To all of you asking for coutrywide coverage (well, big cities at least) just switch to MTNL/BSNL. Sure you will have to put up with bad service but it might just end up being cheaper.

Seriously speaking, they shouldn't have given 3G spectrum to BSNL...govt should have asked them to participate in the auction along with other pvt operators.

BSNL is a worthless company to provide 3G services...now unnecessarily one precious slot is wasted.

And i see that there are many like me who are worrying that Vodafone hasn't won in Karnataka(Bangalore in particular)....but don't worry guys..we have Aicel, Airtel and the most agrressive and innovative operator TATA DOCOMO! :) :)

If it was Airtel, Vodafone and Idea..they would've easily formed a cartel and milked the subscribers...

Just for information, Mobile Number Portability(MNP) is slated to start by July 1st.

Why are companies paying so much for Delhi and Mumbai ? Arent there many more mobile subscribers in Tamil Nadu / Karnataka and other big states ?

djmykey said:
No Airtel in Maharashtra :( Me sad...

We have BSNL Buddy :D

Btw i read today in TOI that MTNL/BSNL wont be able to pay this high auction fees, something like that, did not read the entire thing.

manu1991 said:
Why are companies paying so much for Delhi and Mumbai ? Arent there many more mobile subscribers in Tamil Nadu / Karnataka and other big states ?

Its similar to a 1BHK costing more in Juhu / Nariman point vis-a-vis a 2BHK costing in suburbs. Bad example....:yeah:

manu1991 said:

May be because Mumbai and Delhi have more Basmati eaters compared to Tamil Nadu / Karnataka :p

PS: Those who have heard Raja's statement, would get what I am saying :D

This is what i feel
Pressure to pay for the spectrum will lead public carriers to give more exciting offers like U/L data more attractive packages to the customer
which will in turn hurt their broadband customer base .
which will again cause them to give better speeds on their wired internet
which will eventually benefit the end customer who was craving for a 20mbps connection for Rs 1500 p.m. Just my thoughts ;).

Why would pressure to pay for the spectrum lead to lower tariffs ? Companies have already seen how per second tariffs and other competitive tariffs have led to a nosediving of their ARPU's . Also each knows that they have all paid hefty money so i expect 3G tariffs to be pretty high .

^^ I agree IMO 3g rates would be very high considering these bids.... They need to get the money back somehow....

That would be the case for MTNL/BSNL I suppose. Where they would gain is would be the roaming scene.
I said so because i read the TOI report saying they wont be able to pay the spectrum fees and the govt would not want to give away the profits they've earned in the bidding process by bailing them out.

3G prices WILL NOT be high bcoz they know that indians are price conscious..if they price it high, they won't get enough subscribers and be even more to make money from those few subs...

They will go behind volumes...

Delhi + Mumbai bagged the highest bids, cause penetration wise mobile users are higher here. Also the population has more buying power, so the 3G devices will retail quicker. Of course these are seen as hot-spots to leverage the 3G spectrum. 3G air-waves should be available by September. Currently some of it is utilized by the defense. DoT is to lay a dedicated fiber backbone for them, and the swap will happen. No corporation was able to bag the coveted PAN India license, they had to make do with zones/sectors where they have a strong presence. BSNL/MTNL are all ready worried, since the prices went so high. Talks are on within the ministries to provide leverage for payment. Probably a waive in period with zero penalty.

Back