3G USB Modem + WiFi + Battery

teche

Adept
My old Huawei UMG1831 USB Modem died on me. Now Im looking for a suitable replacement.

Requirements:

Wifi to connect to Tablets, Mobiles..

Battery, to be able to use while traveling or outsides.

Combinations:

1) Solo 3G USB Modem + separate WiFi router with Battery.

2) Solo 3G USB Modem + separate WiFi only router.

3) All-in-one 3G USB Modem with WiFi & Battery.

What do you guys suggest, which combination should I go with that would work well with seamless connectivity, low heating, easy of operation, good connections & after sales support.

Do suggest Products also...

It seems like you are asking for a pocket router hence the battery requirement. Read the following article

Top 5 3G routers to buy in India

The first two in the list can accept SIM cards so no need for dongles.

The next two work with 3G dongles via USB.

The tp-link requires a dongle and power connection so no battery unless you carry a USB battery pack with usb port.

was using micromax mmx400r earlier with aircel 3g, but as it was limited to GSM only, switched to Lava W150. it very well recognizes both my cdma micromax 300c & gsm micromax 352g. also, lava is capable of making wired broadband to WiFi, so its much better what i feel..

The tp-link requires a dongle and power connection so no battery unless you carry a USB battery pack with usb port.

Sorry for the late reply, had to leave station in a hurry.

Thanks for the link.

Im looking for a USB modem to use in both House & outside. I will get rid of my Broadband connection once Im on a stable 3G connection.

was using micromax mmx400r earlier with aircel 3g, but as it was limited to GSM only, switched to Lava W150. it very well recognizes both my cdma micromax 300c & gsm micromax 352g. also, lava is capable of making wired broadband to WiFi, so its much better what i feel..

Will checkout Lava for sure. Btw how's Lavas after-sales-service & any issues with the device like over-heating, connection drops, difficulty while connecting & establishing connection, etc...?

How do you plan to use these routers ?

3G needs good reception to work well.

GSM providers can be accessed with sim cards. What about CDMA ones ?

You have to buy their dongle isn't it.

Usage would all-in-one Internet connection, I will get rid of my Broadband connection of Im able to get a stable 3G connection. With do-it-all I mean, use it at home, work, travelling, etc...anywhere.

For solo in house use, a WiFi only 3G USB Dongle would suffice but when I would take it outsides, would require a Power source.

While a 3G USB dongle that has a battery, would work in most situations.

Now Im split as to which option to choose, All-in-one device i.e. with battery or a USB dongle & a Wifi router with battery...

I have wasted my money on couple of such devices and finally I have stabilized on following solution:

1. 3G USB device.
2. TP LINK MR3020 + OpenWRT.

For Battery solution you can buy any portable power brick that can charge USB device.

What I really like in above is usage of OpenWRT and the Atheros chipset in 3020, that chip is very strong and is really recommended a lot.

Take your pick.

Will checkout Lava for sure. Btw how's Lavas after-sales-service & any issues with the device like over-heating, connection drops, difficulty while connecting & establishing connection, etc...?
cannot say much about after sales service as i bought lava in December 12 only and its serving well, as of now..
regarding connection drop, it purely depends on the operator's service.. i primarily use reliance cdma (4 EVDO enabled SIMs with Rs. 94 plan activated :p & BSNL 3G for backup). absolutely no problem in connections..

1. 3G USB device.
2. TP LINK MR3020 + OpenWRT.

For Battery solution you can buy any portable power brick that can charge USB device.

What I really like in above is usage of OpenWRT and the Atheros chipset in 3020, that chip is very strong and is really recommended a lot.

Yes that matches my requirements. Which USB modem are you using?

Battery solution looks cool, I've ordered for a HCL Powerbank. But think it this way, one would have to carry 3 devices for such a setup:

1) USB Modem
2) WiFi Router
3) Battery powerbank.

Won't it be a little in-convenient/cumbersome to use ?[DOUBLEPOST=1368685760][/DOUBLEPOST]
cannot say much about after sales service as i bought lava in December 12 only and its serving well, as of now.

Will check this one out..

I have a Huawei E355 and it works great -

This one is high on my list but Huawei After sales is Bad in my area. They were unable to fix my UMG1831.

How to make this work with Tablets/ipad ? When there's no laptop around..

Other devices Im looking at:

- Huawei E355

- Lava W150

- TP LINK MR3020

- Asus WL-330N3G

- Huawei E303C

- TP link with Battery, I don't remember the model name.

This one is high on my list but Huawei After sales is Bad in my area. They were unable to fix my UMG1831.

How to make this work with Tablets/ipad ? When there's no laptop around..

UMG1831 is a model made for TMobile I believe which is then unlocked, and I don't think Huawei warranty is applicable on it. And anyway these devices are doesn't look like its repairable, if it dies and its under warranty you get it replaced. The E355 comes with Huawei India warranty.

As I said, you simply attach it to a USB power source, it can be a USB battery brick or an AC adapter with USB output. There is no dialer or drivers required, it automatically connects and shares the connection.

UMG1831 is a model made for TMobile I believe which is then unlocked, and I don't think Huawei warranty is applicable on it. And anyway these devices are doesn't look like its repairable, if it dies and its under warranty you get it replaced. The E355 comes with Huawei India warranty.

As I said, you simply attach it to a USB power source, it can be a USB battery brick or an AC adapter with USB output. There is no dialer or drivers required, it automatically connects and shares the connection.

Yes UMG1831 is an old model, T-Mobile unlocked. I took it to Huawei service center, asked that I will pay for whatever charges but they were unable to set it right. I too doubt that these sticks are repairable. But there was a software issue in my device.

Sounds good, will try this one out or do you suggest one with in-built battery ?

Battery solution looks cool, I've ordered for a HCL Powerbank. But think it this way, one would have to carry 3 devices for such a setup:

1) USB Modem
2) WiFi Router
3) Battery powerbank.

Won't it be a little in-convenient/cumbersome to use ?
varkey's proposal only needs the powebank. Powerbank means you get to choose the capacity whereas pocket routers come with fixed capacity battery.

The disadvantage is no CDMA ISP's possible with that huawei, only GSM. GSM rates tend to be higher than CDMA. So no Photon, Reliance or BSNL EVDO. The routers that have USB slots will work with either but you need to have USB dongles.

Course this depends on your data requirements. If you are considering replacing wired broadband with 3G, then i have to think its not that high to begin with.

Questions you need to answer is which ISP's will you need. And for how long does the battery need to be operative.

@blr_p,

I had some green colored router which went bad. I had another one I don't remember which didn't work. The benefit of using MR3020 is that I can plug any GSM/CDMA USB without any problem. Although for GSM I would recommend using a external powered hub cause these USB 3G things draw lots of power.

+LT

Last edited by a moderator:
varkey's proposal only needs the powebank. Powerbank means you get to choose the capacity whereas pocket routers come with fixed capacity battery.

The disadvantage is no CDMA ISP's possible with that huawei, only GSM. GSM rates tend to be higher than CDMA. So no Photon, Reliance or BSNL EVDO. The routers that have USB slots will work with either but you need to have USB dongles.

Course this depends on your data requirements. If you are considering replacing wired broadband with 3G, then i have to think its not that high to begin with.

Questions you need to answer is which ISP's will you need. And for how long does the battery need to be operative.

Yes Huawei 355 will work fine with Powerbank.

Which USB Modems are compatible with both GSM & CDMA technologies ?

Data requirement is not low, the current BB plan Im running is an unlimited 2MBPS one. Will require atleast 10GB at high speeds & then speed throttling but unlimited.

Will be looking at DOCOMO because that's the only service provider providing 3G in our area. BSNL does too but I'll avoid that.[DOUBLEPOST=1368715838][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's another one Im looking at:

http://www.flipkart.com/huawei-e533...9f62-c9fbad478451&cmpid=affiliate_promo_tyroo

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-wl-330n3g-6-in-1-wireless-n-mobile-router/p/itmd3u64dprfsvay

Maybe something similar should meet your needs its a 5000 mah power bank lan to WiFi router and also USB stick to wi fi supports both Cdma and Gsm USB sticks gives around 6 hours on a full charge

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368736840852.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368736840852.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 173
Back