3g vodafone data card

Surve.p said:
@vishalrao so how is the speed coming along with your phone?

Just wondering what posters think about the comparision between the Photon+ and Vodafone’s 3G… currently, the former’s modem (and plan charges) are slightly more expensive than Vodafone 3G…don’t know for how long though. How about the (average)speed difference between the two? Anyone used both and found out?
My SIM was activated today morning, and I just now got 3G activating this evening. Loving all the self-service portals and what not of Vodafone!

Some problems/hurdles faced - it was not totally plug and play:

1. Had to change my APN from portalnmms to www manually - I just had Vodafone Live and did not get Vodafone Mobile Connect.

2. Had to check the "use proxy" option even though the settings were automatically downloaded on to my N900.

3. Had to check "automatic configuration" and no need to provide the web location to get the settings, it worked on its own.

After rebooting the phone, 3G seems to be working (I get the 3G icon) except I am getting 2G speeds around "350 Kbps" (bits) according to mobilespeedtest.com

Will wait til tomorrow evening to see if anything improves before further researching - because I only sent the "ACT 3G" sms to 111 today evening and they replied to wait 24 hours for it to be ready :)

So far, VF is looking awesome! I hope I can get multi-mbps speeds on my old trusty N900 which supports up to 10 mbps download.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ALSO:

I'm thinking about getting the Vodafone Mi-Fi R201 device :D It's Rs 5500/- MRP I think, will find out about availability this weekend. Vodafone store guy says its not yet available - until 3G full launch maybe.

I went in for the 3765 USB… works, but not exactly like a charm! Speeds are still under 1Mbps…on edge at the moment…no 3G.
So…that’s that. But I believe they haven’t launched 3G full throttle as yet… April 10 is apparently D-Day for changing over to 3G. I believe the tariff’s are going to change on that day.
Any comments from fellow posters on whether the new plans are going to be cheaper or the other way round… the store guys say “It is going to drop”…something doesn’t want me to believe that though!

@Vishalrao…do you get 3G in your area on your phone? – thanks for your responses man!

Dont mention it @Suve.p :)

Same issue here, my N900 gives 256 kbps to max 800 kbps depending on signal strength (better at home, less in office)... even though the "3G" or "3.5" icons show up... so you must be right, fingers crossed that the speed improves during official launch.

I will anyway visit the Vodafone store this Saturday to "demand" from the guys "why is my 3G so slow" !!! :D

onlyravi said:
Its a future ready device you can say....
Currently all over Maharashtra MTS is using the towers and bandwidth of Vodafone... So definately you can expect them to deliver good 3G speeds when 3G is officially launched(perhaps in Jan 2011). As of now you will only get normal 2G speeds which are no more good for daily surfing also... as websites are very heavy these days....
I would suggest not to dive in for this device but go for BSNL instead...

not to be a noob, but isnt MTS network based on CDMA and vodafone based on GSM?
so how does a CDMA based MTS use vodafones GSM towers?
If there is some new technology that allows them to combine the two different mobile standards then I have yet to find out.
and if vodafone is actually having CDMA networks then it would be another scam in the telecom sector, because vodafone only has GSM licenses(as far as I know )

OK, ignore my previous posts about my Nokia N900 only giving me under-1mbps speeds on VF 3G :D

Turns out the websites like mobilespeedtest.com and dslreports.com/stest are not very accurate.

I simply opened a terminal and did "wget" and downloaded an Ubuntu 700 MB ISO and I got around 7-8 mbps speeds at home and in office!!!

Note that my N900 hardware only supports up to 10 mbps downloads :) so getting up to 8 mbps is COOL WITH ME ! :D

thought i should update after 10 april
in kolkata circle, voda has given
100 for 100mb
375 for 500mb
850 for 3gb
plus taxes and 10p/10kb thereafter
there is another plan @1250 i think
weired thing is voda CC says they are for 'normal' nos only and plans for usb sticks and data cards are not yet out :( :( WTF
just sent ACT MI100 or MI375 or MI850
Etc to 111
Anyone tried yet??

Back