Video 40" LED TV options - Samsung 5 Series or Bravia?

not that expert when it comes with LCD but i will say GET IPS with LED.

IPS for amazing viewing angles & colours and LED for Better power consumption.

@OP
The samsung supports more video formats,has more apps in the smart tv platform,it also has a full fledged web browser that supports flash,where as the opera browser in the Sony doesn't yet support flash,it also lacks MKV support and doesn't support NTFS partioned HDD.

But what you do get in the Sony is a SPVA panel,where as the samsung D5500 do date the models i saw about 4 different showrooms had AMVA panel,slightly inferior viewing angle and black levels compared to the SPVA based tvs

So if media playback is a priority get the samsung,its image processing is on par with the Sonys,so it does have excellent SD picture quality.
If its a Sony then you could get it from the grey market,some places also sell the samsung and it should cost less then 50k.

@pratikb
Do note the IPS panels used in tvs don't always have higher color accuracy ,just because the IPS panels used in some pro monitors have better color accuracy doesn't mean its the same for tvs.
So saying a tv with ips panel has having better colors isn't true.Many times high end tvs with VA panels have better colors then high end tvs with IPS panels.
As far as viewing angle yes IPS based tvs have the edge for the most part,except perhaps when compared to some new VA based hybrid techs used in some really high end flagship models.

Update:the indian samsung D5500 may altogether lack a web browser

so for just normal TV use which model you suggest.My parents being user,they just need nice screen and I want to get them big screen like 40 inch or so.

so far my school of thought taught me LG IPS are better as they developed tech along with philips.what you say about current IPS line up of LG?

not that read about samsung and sony outsourcing the panels has drove me away from it.

Lg also uses VA panel,with AU optronics now making 42" panels they may start using them or they may already be using those.Its a known fact that some of their 32" models have SMVA based panels .

Outsourcing is todays norm.

There is also more to a tv then just the panel used like image processing ,where these two companies sony/samsung have consistently been on the top and remains to do so.

One of the primary reasons people buy a lg is because of that extra 2" they get over the sony/samsung and extra 1" over the 46" panels used in sony/samsung.For some thats a big deal.

The samsung D550 should be a good choice in lcds ,or the sony 40CX520 via grey market only which is now available for less then 40k in some places.

In the Led-lcd the samsung D5500 and EX520 should be the good choices.

adder said:
The samsung D550 should be a good choice in lcds ,or the sony 40CX520 via grey market only which is now available for less then 40k in some places.

What is the official market price of 40CX520? Could you suggest me any good place to buy grey import in Delhi?

Also, any idea how much a 46" Sony/Samsung LED would be in the grey vs official market? I'm going to start my research next week and would appreciate your help.

Thanks!

No idea about the grey market location in delhi,i believe it was mentioned many times in this forum.

The Sony official prices at the max will be 4% lesser then MRP prices listed in their websites,unless its on a clearance sale ,some dealers may give it for even less.

Grey market prices will be changing ever day or so.Last i hear the 46" used to cost around 60k,it may be less now.

I would suggest you go to a retail outlet and check out the TVs personally .Carry a pen drive/portable drive with HD movie on it and make sure settings on all screens is default or matched.

I did the same recently while hunting for a new TV for my uncle. Frankly speaking couldn't find a single difference between the Samsung 5 series LED (D5000) and 5 series LCD (D550). Initial plan was to get a 40" LED but after the comparison , we decided to get the 46" D550 LCD for ~60k .

BTW , between the Sony CX520 and Samsung , there was a slight difference in colour contrast and black levels. The Sony had a slight upper hand but it doesn't play MKV files which was an important point for purchase .

^ No idea yet . The dealer says product is out of stock and will take 7-10 days for delivery .Contacted few other dealers who are ready to delivery from current stock but quoting 3-4k higher prices.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Is it recommended to buy a LED TV in the coming two-three weeks (either grey or official). Are there any new models coming out that I should keep in mind?

PS: Congrats on your purchase FaH33m! Hope to see your review soon!

what about panasonic they are said to be using ips alpha panel?is it any better than lg,samsung or sony?
hearing lot about smart tv but who has the best ,samsung smart tv,panasonic viera connect,lg netcast smart tv or sony internet tv?

thanks

In India the Smart TVs are of not much use anyway. But LG seems to have the upper hand in India as far as local/locally accessible content is concerned. Globally Sony Bravia Internet TVs have the most and the best services :)

It was ranked the best TV Internet/Smart TV service in a comparo of all manufacturers Internet/Smart TV options. But unfortunately most of the Sony services do not work in India. Same goes for other manufacturers more or less.

FaH33m said:
^ No idea yet . The dealer says product is out of stock and will take 7-10 days for delivery .Contacted few other dealers who are ready to delivery from current stock but quoting 3-4k higher prices.

so what amount were you quoted for the D550 in the retail stores?
I am in the same dilemma but also with a CSD store as an option so need to know where should i get the D550 from :S
P S. I am interested in a 40 inch model.

^^ya,what is the market price of 32" D550?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

how is the panel quality of panasonic viera?they use ips alpha panels so is it better than lg,samsung or sony?

If buying from Grey in Delhi you can contact -

Hi-Fi Zone, HI Fi Zone
782, Lajpat Rai Market Delhi 6
Phone : 011/23863304/23875782

Contact person: Mr. Tejinder (9811256782)

Deals in AVR / Television (LCD, LED, Plasma) / Speakers. Has a demo room and good prices. I my self am getting the Sony KDL-32CX520 tomorrow from him.

ggt said:
so what amount were you quoted for the D550 in the retail stores?
I am in the same dilemma but also with a CSD store as an option so need to know where should i get the D550 from :S
P S. I am interested in a 40 inch model.
what is the current csd quote you are getting from CSD for the d550?

wishmaster.dj said:
what is the current csd quote you are getting from CSD for the d550?

its not the way.
the quote keeps on changing everyday.
so once a market deal is known, i can refer that price to my mom, and then she can order it.
asking here because you people will be well equipped to bargain for such deals since retail is your only option.
when checked about in april she got a quote of 42k.

Back