Monitors 4k monitors

dpandey

Adept
Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone is using 4k monitors at home. If you are, I would love to hear about the options available in India (for both monitors and graphics cards). I am upgrading my hardware and would move to 4k if the price is good.

The Dell India website has one that caught my eye

http://www1.ap.dell.com/in/en/busin...spx?refid=dell-p2715q-monitor&s=bsd&cs=inbsd1

The primary use is for programming. Maybe a movie once in a while. No gaming.

Cheers

Last edited:
Apart from gaming i dont think there is enough content to go for 4k right now.
These two are the main optoins available in India.

Yes, I'm also interested to know if anyone uses 4K for programming (code reading/writing), I would think you anyway will need to increase the text size/scaling to make it readable on 27 inch screens so it is really a waste to go up from regular full HD screen...

I currently use UP2414Q and my only purpose is programming and I spend most of my day in emacs. Once you get used to hidpi monitors I bet you can never go back to lo dpi monitors. I recommend a hackintosh system with an nvidia card supporting 4k resolutio, almost every application including your terminal and browsers scale well. If you need to use linux, browsers will trouble you a bit. have a look arch wiki for hidpi monitors. Overall I believe you will be in for a treat and worth the money. Do not go for larger screen it wont be good for your neck and ppi would start to drop unless you opt for imac 5k.
To get a feel for how things will look like just make a visit to apple show room and look at retina macbooks or 5k imac

I have used windows 10 for a few days at 200% scaling some applications work well and some don't. Visual studio, internet explorer and store apps work well, most system tools, Firefox and chrome dont. Most modern editors like sublime text should work fine if you care about the text and not ui elements.
I do not have a mac mini, so I do not know for sure. I assume if it has a displayport, 4k monitors might work at 30hz. We need to wait for broadwell processors for 4k 60hz support.
Please also note that you need displayport 1.2 on your gpu for 4k 60hz support.

How area 4k monitors better for coding than say full hd ones?
I mean isnt the text crisper on fullhd since there is no scaling happening?
Or is it that since the fonts are vector, scaling works better since there are more pixels and less visible?

Back