5 Top Bloats

Lol The list should read:

1. Norton 2003

2. Norton 2004

3. Norton 2005

4. Norton 2006

5. Norton 2007

But I agree Real media player and apple quicktime are one big fat bloatwares too

Try Foxit Reader, Foxit Software

Also, if you compare winamp classic i.e the version 2.xx to the current versions, in a few years time we will have another realplayer.

Nero is another software that has too many apps in the package.

if the list was in relation to os's then vista would surely be at #1.
frigging os takes 10-15gb of install space :S wonder how much space m$'s next os would require.

nero should have been in that list imo :|

Thats very true , but MSIE is not a resource hogger AFAIK , yes its a stupid , dumb and vulnerable browser and i personally dont use it but it still takes less RAM than Firefox unless you tweak firefox , opera is better than both in this regard

Outlook sucks IMHO , thunderbird is much better unless you re on Microshit Exchange Server

Itunes on windows is stupid but it runs breezily on mac even if the mac is less powerful than the pc , Yamipod is a nice alternative

Real Player sucks to the core , unless you use a PRO version without ads which sucks but not to the core , amaroK in linux and GOMplayer in windows are better alternatives , VLC is the cross platform king

Adobe : No Comments - Their entire product line is a memory hogger right from the flash player to the photoshop , the problem is there are no nifty alternatives
Foxit is fine only for small files , same is with sumatra

Norton and Nero : :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6pack said:
if the list was in relation to os's then vista would surely be at #1.
frigging os takes 10-15gb of install space :S wonder how much space m$'s next os would require.

nero should have been in that list imo :|

vista takes 10gb at 1st den just turn on hibernation resources n u get a 6.5gb os guess dats not big deal :cool2:

Aces170 said:
Lol The list should read:

1. Norton 2003
2. Norton 2004
3. Norton 2005
4. Norton 2006
5. Norton 2007

But I agree Real media player and apple quicktime are one big fat bloatwares too

So true. IIRC, they were the leading antivirus providers back in 2000-2001...or at least one of the better ones. How they've let themselves slide since then is appalling. Every version (incl the 2002 version) has been total crap. Neither do they offer decent protection, nor do they do any good to the system.

I hated RealPlayer for being very invasive..i.e. installing some stupid toolbar at startup, trying to take over opening all my files..and then not being able to play them properly. QuickTime at least only sat in my startup tray...but it was a headache to figure out how to disable it.

A reason why one would want to install these players instead of alternatives is that some new .rm or .mov files(I guess the latest) would not play. And the alternatives never had decent upgrade support.

Kumar said:
You could select individual plugins for removal you know...

I was not using any tool. Just deleted all plugins in a particular folder if I remember correctly. There is a tool to identify the plugins? Hmm...maybe I would've used it if I'd known about it then.

Udit said:
i hate all those & removed them :D

only ie7 there because vista won't lemme remove it :(

i use avant for money, credit card and bank related stuff & firefox for everything else :)

After all the antitrust suits and IE related controversies, I can't believe IE7 is not decoupled from Vista :no: . How can they get away with this?

Back