5 Top Bloats

+1 on the norton anti-vir, after a bad experience yrs ago on trying to get it uninstall, i will never touch it ever again.

It's interesting they don't have alternative suggestions for Outlook & Itunes :)

Cos if ur using Exchange Server 'features' on the back-end then sorry, Outlook's all you got.

For iTunes there are alternatives but not always free.

gave up on adobe long ago, been usin foxit..but must say..foxit has its own share of probs...keeps crashing when used in browser...

New ie7 is fine...

Adobe seems to be getting worse with each version. They really need to focus on efficiency considering that it just reads pdf files.

Firefox, though a good replacement to IE and providing a faster browsing experience...I can't help but feel that it's becoming too complicated...reminds me of those linux versions...make a good OS and crap it up with overcomplexity.

Who uses RealPlayer these days? Media Player Classic and RealAlternative + QuicktimeAlternative serve all purposes.

any alternate to adobe ...right now i am using sumatra PDF ..

Sumatra PDF viewer by Krzysztof Kowalczyk

but if the e book if very big..(above 20-30 mb)...or if it has lots of pics ,like the playboy mags..tht i download... :p it takes lot of time rendering the pages..

need something that can load PDF's quickly...

When Acrobat reader was in version 7, there used to be a program to strip it off its bloat and make it load in under 2secs. Sadly, it won't work with the newer versions though.

EDIT:
@Faheem_m
IMHO, Foxit is quiet fast...try it and see if you find it usefull.

Foxit is quite good, for plain viewing. I started looking for an alternative when adobe started to get very slow.

Kumar said:
When Acrobat reader was in version 7, there used to be a program to strip it off its bloat and make it load in under 2secs. Sadly, it won't work with the newer versions though.

I did that with one of the Adobe versions. Worked like a charm but then found out that I could not open pdfs via IE. This was important at work to access company documentation.

I guess what the strip off did was remove the plugins loaded at startup. I was too lazy to find out the plugin that was required for opening pdfs in IE.

guys try Sumatra PDF reader awesome reader :) consumes soo less RAM plzz give a try n temme ;)
Also wondering how Norton,Mcafee,Nero8 didn't make to the list :S

i hate all those & removed them :D

only ie7 there because vista won't lemme remove it :(

i use avant for money, credit card and bank related stuff & firefox for everything else :)

Ya, I remember that program to strip acrobat. It was super cool, from a bloated pig acrobat would open in a sec or less. Wonderful stuff, I have it somwhere. Right, its called Acrobat SpeedUp, think it works with Version 8 too if I am not mistaken. But I still use acrobat 7 so no problems for me.

i dont know but on vista it takes jus ard a millisecond to open adobe in my pc.....may b the 3gb ram the reason after all ram are cheap now

Kumar said:

EDIT:
@Faheem_m
IMHO, Foxit is quiet fast...try it and see if you find it usefull.
Stopped using Adobe a yr ago.. Using Foxit since then :D

Its the best IMO

I use my mac to view most of the online PDF since it has built-in PDF viewer (preview.app), works fast.

Besides downloading huge installation file, I don't have any other issues with iTunes.

Norton and Nero should have made it to list, I think. Why do I need to uncheck so many things while installing bloody CD writing app?? Gave up on Norton 8 years back, thought latest versions of McAfee are following the same elephantware path.

I'm not even going to get my fingers dirty writing about IE and Outlook.

Back