Storage Solutions 500 GB / 1 TB Desktop HDD ? Prices given

Thanks m0h1t

Using Seagate from past 7 years, Damn why they want to spoil their reputation.

somehow dont feel to go for WD.

Still have not seen any positive reports of Seagate in past 10 days.

m0h1t said:
All seagate drivers dont fail, the general opinion here that seagate drivers are bad isn't all true. Seagate has a huge market share and people ranting about their seagate HDD failure is probably because of this. Back in 2005-06 seagate had an insane 72% market share in India, after which it aquired maxtor. Seagate 2008 revenue figures were about 150% compared to that of WD(12.71 bn vs 8.07 bn USD)

If ur buying a 1TB drive, I'd recommend a seagste 7200.11 1TB which comes with 5year warranty. Get it on ebay for ~5250 shipped after discount.

The 7200.11 firmware issue has been solved.

oh really? :|

Mohit, the problem is that any seagates manufactured after Jan1 will come with only 3 years warranty :(

yea there is a trade off with seagate. If you want 5year warranty ur stuck with 11 series but if you want the new 12 series, it carries 3 years warranty.

I personally haven't used a WD as of yet, I'm recommending seagate since I have been using em for over 7years(11-12drivers) and had to rma only one.

Get a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (500 GB~3k, 1 TB ~5.7k). The firmware issues have been fixed already and this one comes with 5 yr. warranty.

Check out the reviews first..
Running 2x500GB for more quite some time, without any issues...

Praks said:
Worried about Seagate crashes. lots of bad reputation for .11

I am Seagate fan from past 7 years, never had single problem with it, But lots of people reporting failure of 500 GB everywhere.

any new reports of replacement by Seagate from market ?
I have researched on all these things recently,....And I see that the firmware problem that was there in 7200.11,

as been completely removed from 7200.12....SO YOU CAN SAFELY GO FOR SEAGTE NOW....
Best of luck...

^^

looks like you don't like onsite warranty? just get WD

I got a new 250 GB passport in replacement of 160GB WD all at the comfort of home :)

@ishashank

160 GB replacement can be 160 right, how you got 250 ?

You mean WD people come to home & give you new HDD ? No need to go to their center ?

@mach9

how much did you pay for 1 TB ?

A quick update,

Went to a BIG computer shop.

500 GB SATA Seagate - 7200.12 - 5 yrs Warranty - Rs 2990

1 TB SATA Seagate - 7200.11 - 5 yrs Warranty - Rs 5460

500 GB SATA WD - No Stock

1 TB SATA WD - No Stock

Comment on WD Customer care - If your HDD stops working/crashes then call up WD Support, Courier guy comes home & picks up HDD & sends to Delhi, They might replace/repair & send back to your city. It takes around 15 days of time.

Is this correct ?

Are you sure the 500GB 7200.12 had 5 year warranty? Did you check S/N on seagate warranty page of 500GB 7200.12 stock the BIG shop had?

Mohit

Yes 500 GB & 1 TB both have 5 yrs warranty. They confirmed to me 3 times.

Strange no WD HDD is available with many

I was looking for 1 TB but cant take chances 7200.11

@big.bAd.boi

Thanks.

Today saw post of 2 seagate crashing, even 7200.12, NO WAY going for Seagate.

Need to hunt WD now.. No one seem to have them,

Back