Storage Solutions 500 GB / 1 TB Desktop HDD ? Prices given

Praks

Skilled
Hi all,

I am looking for 500 GB / 1 TB HDD to use it internally in desktop.

Just checked market price.

Seagate
500 GB SATA Seagate - 3130
500 GB SATA Seagate (7200 RPM) - 5600
1 TB SATA Seagate - 5650

Western Digital 500 GB @ 4150/-

From Above price I feel 1 TB SATA Seagate is best bet. But from lots of posts I found brand new Seagate is crashing a lot.

How about warranty on Seagate & Western Digital ?

Please suggest.

WD has door to door 5year warranty. Any day the winner to me as compared to Seagates recently reduced 3 year warranty.

Also you have got a majorly messed up quote for teh WD hdd.

Check primeabgb.com, deltapage.com, theitwares.com, techshop.in & lynx-india.com for better pricing estimates.

Those prices are screwy :p

The normal 3k 500Gb seagates are 7200rpm only :)

WD better warranty. And pricing only 50-100 above or below the seagate pricing. Not more different than that.

I would say the dealer doesnt have WD and is trying to sell you a seagate ;)

techie_007 said:
Those prices are screwy :p

The normal 3k 500Gb seagates are 7200rpm only :)

WD better warranty. And pricing only 50-100 above or below the seagate pricing. Not more different than that.

I would say the dealer doesnt have WD and is trying to sell you a seagate ;)

sounds much like it.
WDs are generaly priced lower than similar seagate at most of the places.

simple get 500gb only and only WD.

NO NEED FOR 1TB.

they r not stable as of now

or u can alos lokk for 640 0r 750 gb

but 500 gb is more than sufficient

u can upgrade after 1-2 years!!!

Well i'd not agree to ur point here..

U cant decide if 500gb is more than enuff for someone else, coz u dont know or have any idea about the Data of Praks.. Higher capacity HDDs are always better.. u never know when u gonna be overloaded.. I know ppl who are using 1TB and yet they are overflowing with ur data.. and still craving for more space..

So this entirely depend on user.. if someone else is using who doesnt dload EVERYTHING from the net for the sake of dloading.. that guy can work easily on his 200gb HDD for years. :)

I'd suggest 1TB from WD sounds a good deal due to its low price.. 2 b frank.. dont think 1TB are unstable or so.. yes seagate's 7200.11RPM hdds are only having high rate of failure.. and in that too i know a couple of ppl bought that recently and no issues till now :S..

MohitPreet said:
NO NEED FOR 1TB.

or u can alos lokk for 640 0r 750 gb

but 500 gb is more than sufficient

u can upgrade after 1-2 years!!!

Err..Why not got for a 1.5TB HDD...I am using 2 of these and no issues as such.... I transfer some 400-500Gb weekly without any issues from my drives:eek:hyeah:

BTW: Space is never enough.... Even after archieving almost all my stuff my HDD's are still full

b00gieMan said:
I'd suggest 1TB from WD sounds a good deal due to its low price.. 2 b frank.. dont think 1TB are unstable or so.. yes seagate's 7200.11RPM hdds are only having high rate of failure.. and in that too i know a couple of ppl bought that recently and no issues till now :S..

Worried about Seagate crashes. lots of bad reputation for .11

I am Seagate fan from past 7 years, never had single problem with it, But lots of people reporting failure of 500 GB everywhere.

any new reports of replacement by Seagate from market ?

if data storage is the only concern then settle for external drives...they cost about 400-600extra above internal ones.

settle for WD Green ones's if lookin for internal storage device.

Man just avoid this shit.. just get a WD with On Site warranty and then live in peace :)
Praks said:
Worried about Seagate crashes. lots of bad reputation for .11

I am Seagate fan from past 7 years, never had single problem with it, But lots of people reporting failure of 500 GB everywhere.

techie_007 said:

^^^What does that mean? :p

Bro, I heard Seagate started replacing 500 GB faulty drives which crashes due to firmware.

So Asking if anyone has official reports

Praks said:
Bro, I heard Seagate started replacing 500 GB faulty drives which crashes due to firmware.

So Asking if anyone has official reports

All such drives (firmware crash or otherwise) are RMAed. Seagate did put out a patch for the affected firmware/models

All seagate drivers dont fail, the general opinion here that seagate drivers are bad isn't all true. Seagate has a huge market share and people ranting about their seagate HDD failure is probably because of this. Back in 2005-06 seagate had an insane 72% market share in India, after which it aquired maxtor. Seagate 2008 revenue figures were about 150% compared to that of WD(12.71 bn vs 8.07 bn USD)

If ur buying a 1TB drive, I'd recommend a seagste 7200.11 1TB which comes with 5year warranty. Get it on ebay for ~5250 shipped after discount.

The 7200.11 firmware issue has been solved.

MohitPreet said:

NO NEED FOR 1TB.

oh really? :|

Back