Storage Solutions 500GB 7200.12 failed!

observer

Disciple
Seagate 500GB 3500418AS Firmware CC34

I had bought this drive around two weeks ago and had been using it since then. I worked hard on managing data from my older drives, on to this new drive. I had just settled down with configuration of Windows 7057 and other wares, and the drive failed without a hint. The long test failed. HDD regenerator showed bad sectors too. Looks like seagate is under a witch spell. I am afraid, what if my replacement drive also fails?

observer said:
Seagate 500GB 3500418AS Firmware CC34

I had bought this drive around two weeks ago and had been using it since then. I worked hard on managing data from my older drives, on to this new drive. I had just settled down with configuration of Windows 7057 and other wares, and the drive failed without a hint. The long test failed. HDD regenerator showed bad sectors too. Looks like seagate is under a witch spell. I am afraid, what if my replacement drive also fails?

HDDs can always fail. N the reasons can be many. Just RMA it and see. And always always keep a backup :)

techie_007 said:
HDDs can always fail.

I agree, and so can any other component fail, that is why they state warranty and not guarantee. But if we have similar occurrences posted on a forum thread, then it may help us take an informed decision.

Same thing happened to my 500GB Seagate. Crashed without warning. Got a replacement from my dealer and the replacement crashed as well. Still using my stock 160GB. :(

HailStonE said:
Did you guy's checked the new HDD with any HDD tool before using the HDD....

No, I did not, I normally do not do it. I have three more drives in the same PC, 2 hitachis and 1 raptor, I have never tested them.
What tool should be used?

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Observer, your rig specs please? :)

Intel C2D E7300, ASUS P5Q-EM, 2GB DDR2 Transcend, Palit 9600GT 512MB DDDR3, 1x36GB WD Raptor, 1x160GB SATA Hitachi, 1x250GB SATA Hitachi, 500GB 7200.12 Seagate RMAed, LG DVD RW, Benq E2200HD, VIP Gold 500W PSU, Antec SL??? Cabinet, Logitech MX310, MS Comfort Curve 2000, ATP3 Speakers

Stock speeds or anything OCed?
How many and what size fans in that Antec case?
What are the temps of those HDDs like- please check with Everest or HDTune maybe. :)
HDDs have some fan blowing air on them?
VIP 500W Gold has SATA power and PCIe power native?
How old is that psu? :ashamed:

Gosh, I hope this is an isolated case. Already losing faith in Seagate what with so many 7200.11 failures including it looks like mine will too pretty soon. Was hoping the .12 series would be more solid.

Well i had same crash experience with 7200.12 500GB, failed without any reason within 3 days of arrival.
Got new one in RMA, working fine since last month.Still sometime i doubt click click / grrrr sound :(

The PSU is about a 1yr+ old. It has the standard power plugs. The cabinet has one 120mm fan. There is no other cooling system, but the drives are well spaced because of the cage design.
I have overclocked the CPU to 3Ghz. The temperature of CPU hovers around 42c.
I had ran HDTune on the 7200.12 drive, the temp was around 38c
Any given time I run only three HDDS.

virus32win said:
Well i had same crash experience with 7200.12 500GB, failed without any reason within 3 days of arrival.
Got new one in RMA, working fine since last month.Still sometime i doubt click click / grrrr sound :(

IF that sound indeed comes more often .. BE READY.
thats the same sound i heard before my hdd crashed.

Take back up of ur data as freq as u can.

observer said:
The PSU is about a 1yr+ old. It has the standard power plugs. The cabinet has one 120mm fan. There is no other cooling system, but the drives are well spaced because of the cage design.
I have overclocked the CPU to 3Ghz. The temperature of CPU hovers around 42c.
I had ran HDTune on the 7200.12 drive, the temp was around 38c
Any given time I run only three HDDS.

quite cool temps on the hdd considering the hot weather.
my hdd's are running at 41 and 45 respectively even when i have a 120mm fan blowing air on them :(

observer said:
No, I did not, I normally do not do it. I have three more drives in the same PC, 2 hitachis and 1 raptor, I have never tested them.
What tool should be used?

Like Bikey said it could be the PSU... But I recommend checking the HDD with Either HdTach or Ontrack Easy Recovery (HDD Tools) before using.... It checks for potential physical problems.... This is what I do to all my New HDD's before dumping any data, just to be sure....

But remember its only precautionary, you cannot fool your luck though.... ;)

My Seagate 250GB hard drive failed some time ago. I lost so much valuable data that i have decided never to buy insane hdds and store movies. Given up storing movies forever.
LMAO!

Back