Storage Solutions 500GB 7200.12 failed!

^^ 7200.12 are single platter hds and are supposed to be much faster than the 7200.11 which has two platters ...

readin all this i think my decision to go for the 500aaks was a good one...no issues what so ever...runs at 41.degrees....

i wud say 7200.12 is still a gamble though the specs are very good..

i can easily vouch for the 500aaks.... quite and arnd 70-75mbps avg read/write speed in hd tune..

i use it as my main drive for os and games...everythings running just perfect..

if u do want to go for wd u might wanna check the 640 aaks as well ...these have a nice fan following....they are very fast and reliable as well...i wanted to buy this..but was not available newhere so the 500aaks wid which i also had a hard time finding

WD's are far more reliable than Seagate. Seagate used to be decent but is horrible in failure rates nowadays. Even Hitachis are good.

observer- are all your molex connectors tight or some fit loosely?
I forgot to express my condolences for the data loss earlier- my heartfelt sympathies.
I hope and wish no one has to go through it. :(

Well, i haven't said it's the "psu" yet. :p
BUt voltage stability and/or temps maybe an issue.

Not many i know have a 7200.12 yet but those few who do, haven't reported any temp or grinding/clicking noise.
All have decent psus and decent enough cases with hopefully adequate cooling for the hdds.

Seagates are know to exhibit that slight whirring noise, esp while seek but once it's an audible grinding, it usually due to a dying motor due to power fluctuations/excessive heat build-up/damage due to manufacturing defect or physical impact.

Meanwhile i am yet to unpack and install the new 500GB 7200.11 i got from rma since quite sometime now. :lol:

And there is no hard and fast rule who is more reliable.
Varies with the season and the batch/model of HDDs released. :(

As of now, WD is more vfm with it's 6400AAKS with 5 yrs warranty and not so noisy peformance.
Seagate chips are a bit down inspite of the faster 7200.12 due to the 7200.11 fiasco and drop to 3 yrs warranty.

I have 7200.12 500GB (OS drive, Partitioned - 150+315)

Long DST has only reached about 10% in ~4hours.

It it stuck on a bad sector or could it be an error due to incompatibility with win7 or x64?

Also used the pc a bit in the 3rd hour, would that cause it to stop?

m0h1t said:
I have 7200.12 500GB (OS drive, Partitioned - 150+315)

Long DST has only reached about 10% in ~4hours.
It it stuck on a bad sector or could it be an error due to incompatibility with win7 or x64?

Also used the pc a bit in the 3rd hour, would that cause it to stop?

Very much doubt it is a compatibility issue but why don't you just download and use the DOS version of Seatools?

Back