50k budget - PS5 or PC?

TheBark

Disciple
So I already have a decent monitor and its been a while since I sold my last gaming PC. Not really up to date with how the prices are so thought I'd ask you wonderful folks. If I have a budget of 50-60k - better to go the PC way or get a PS5? I already have a decent monitor so I am discounting that cost! Thanks!

If you're on a tight budget, what you really need to think about here is where you'll procure your games from. Initial hardware cost pales in comparison to the cost of games in long run, especially on consoles.

The cheapest way to get PS5 games is to get used discs, then sell them off after playing. This has two disadvantages:
  • You get to play only once. If you want to play again, you can't sell the disc, resulting in higher cost
  • You can't always find all games on discs. And the situation is only likely to get worse. Alan Wake 2 didn't get a disc release at all.
Digital games are much more expensive on PS5 compared to Steam. Other option is to get PS Extra subscription. If you wait for sale. You can get 1-year subscription for ~4000. It does have a decent catalogue of games, but big budget games can sometimes do not make an appearance even after 2 years of release.

Procuring games on PC can be much cheaper.

Here's a suggested config for ~50k (https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/839a469a-1085-4cb3-9752-557eb9c9493a)
CategorySelectionSourcePrice
CPUINTEL CORE I3-12100FMDComputers8510
MoboASRock H610M-HVS/M.2 R2.0MDComputers6650
GPUGigabyte RTX 3060 GAMING OCThe ITDepot23680
PSUDeepCool PF550Vedant Computers2990
CaseANT ESPORTS ELITE 1000 PSVedant Computers2430
RAM1Corsair DDR4 3200MHzTlgGaming1749
RAM2Corsair DDR4 3200MHzTlgGaming1749
SSDCrucial P3 500GBTlgGaming3349
Grand Total51107

You can try to get a used GPU. If you get something like a 3060Ti, then you can save ~5k over the above, which will allow you to get a 12400f or Ryzen 5 5600 instead of the i3.

Last edited:
I would suggest to go with PS5 for this price. Unless you are thinking to buy used components for pc.
Yeah. That budget can get used system for 2k gaming but for new you will have to increase it. Otherwise PS5 is the way
If you're on a tight budget, what you really need to think about here is where you'll procure your games from. Initial hardware cost pales in comparison to the cost of games in long run, especially on consoles.

The cheapest way to get PS5 games is to get used discs, then sell them off after playing. This has two disadvantages:
  • You get to play only once. If you want to play again, you can't sell the disc, resulting in higher cost
  • You can't always find all games on discs. And the situation is only likely to get worse. Alan Wake 2 didn't get a disc release at all.
Digital games are much more expensive on PS5 compared to Steam. Other option is to get PS Extra subscription. If you wait for sale. You can get 1-year subscription for ~4000. It does have a decent catalogue of games, but big budget games can sometimes not make an appearance even after 2 years of release.

Procuring games on PC can be much cheaper.

Here's a suggested config for ~50k (https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/839a469a-1085-4cb3-9752-557eb9c9493a)
CategorySelectionSourcePrice
CPUINTEL CORE I3-12100FMDComputers8510
MoboASRock H610M-HVS/M.2 R2.0MDComputers6650
GPUGigabyte RTX 3060 GAMING OCThe ITDepot23680
PSUDeepCool PF550Vedant Computers2990
CaseANT ESPORTS ELITE 1000 PSVedant Computers2430
RAM1Corsair DDR4 3200MHzTlgGaming1749
RAM2Corsair DDR4 3200MHzTlgGaming1749
SSDCrucial P3 500GBTlgGaming3349
Grand Total51107

You can try to get a used GPU. If you get something like a 3060Ti, then you can ~5k over the above, which will allow you to get a 12400f or Ryzen 5 5600 instead of the i3.
I am always in for a PC as can be used for many other works.

So I already have a decent monitor and its been a while since I sold my last gaming PC. Not really up to date with how the prices are so thought I'd ask you wonderful folks. If I have a budget of 50-60k - better to go the PC way or get a PS5? I already have a decent monitor so I am discounting that cost! Thanks!
It is in many ways a pointless question.

If you already have regular use PCs/laptops and are looking for a convenient appliance for gaming, its a PS5 all the way... A pc simply does not compare.

if you do not have a PC/ have an ageing PC then the answer is a PC - a PS5 simply cannot compare

PC any day...most console exclusive games are coming to PC anyways.
It's not only about exclusives. Games are much better optimized on a console. So to get similar visuals, you usually need to spend at least 1.5x the console's cost on PC. I got my PC for 80k (admittedly with inflated GPU prices) and PS5 for 37k. But most newer games look and perform better on the PS5 than my RTX3060. So if the PC is solely meant for gaming (for instance, person already has a laptop for day to day work), then the choice is not as straightforward as this.

Also, consoles are more noob friendly. If a game is taxing for the GPU, it gets very difficult to identify which settings to tweak and you can end up spending hours in frustration. Game settings are already optimized on consoles.

Better resale value also than console..if in future you wish to sell it.
Highly debatable. I bought my RTX 3060 for 40k after the first wave of fall in GPU prices 1.5 years ago. Its price in the used market is around 15-16k now, if that. I bought my 16 GB RAM for 5.5k and sold it off for 2.9k 1 year later to upgrade to 32 GB.
In contrast, people are still selling their 4-5 year old PS4 pros for 24k.

2k/4k. The games I imagine playing are COD, Helldiver and maybe some fifa here and there
I know you said you're out of touch with current prices, so not going to make fun of your expectations. But to set your expectations straight, here is an appx res to cost mapping:
1080p 60 FPS60k
1080p 144 FPS/2k 60 FPS90k
2k 144 FPS130k
4k 60 FPS180k
4k 60 FPS with Ray Tracing220k
These are approximate budget you should expect for a specific resolution, not based on actual builds. Depending on your requirements, the totals can vary quite a bit.

Last edited:
It's next to impossible to build a PC for 50k, it simply can't compete with the consoles on pricing. 50k PC will get you a low end, last gen build which will be outdated even before you buy it. Buy PC only if you are OK with spending more. If you're looking at the most bang for your buck go for PS5.

Even better, get a used PS5/Xbox. Plenty of them on olx and for very good prices as it's often an impulse buy that people regret.

I will say this and hope that i dont get banned:p

1000276018.png

The list of PlayStation exclusive games porting to PC keeps increasing, no point in getting one unless all you want to do is gaming without the hassle of fine-tuning graphic settings. A 50k PC will have more than enough power to run some of the best games in the PC library, even more if you go for the used parts route.

I am someone who is/has always been on team Glorious PC Master Race looking down on console peasants.

However, a PS5 will be your best bet for the budget. Great interface, speedy loading, and no-nonsense gaming. Yes, you sacrifice frame rates and top-of-the-line visuals, but you will have fun, regardless. Anyway, for 50K, whether new or used, you will get an entry-level machine. PC building and upgrading is expensive, like procuring and maintaining a supercar.

Yes, you have the odd game which is too much for the PS5 (read: FF16 overheating and shutting the console down during certain boss fights), but the simplicity makes life easier. The greatest gaming summer of my life was spent finishing Final Fantasy 12 on my PS2 in 2006.

You can even get a used PS5 nowadays (marketplaces are flooded with those these days) for 35-37K, and use the money saved for games/subscriptions.

Why does this thread assume that OP currently does not have any computer at all ?
I forgot the actual word for this fascinating phenomenon, but it definitely does not rhyme with 'star comb sin rome':tonguewink:

Just to add something on-topic: PC for versatility & upgradeability; console for general ease of gaming & value for money right away (assuming said versatility & upgradeability does not matter).

PS if you can afford to buy games. PC otherwise.
This.
Unless he gets psn plus membership.
PS games are crazy expensive .
PC games sales are much better and also keeps happening often.

But In both cases there is pro and cons.

PS games second hand market is decent.
PC games once bought is cannot be sold.

So I have a basic pc that I use for NAS right now. It has i5-9900 and a some gigabyte gaming motherboard. Maybe I just throw a second hand graphics card on it? But if that’s gonna cost over 35 then might as well just get a ps5.

Back