55 Inch+ 3D TV Advice

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]mjumrani [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]D6000 should be fine with some calibration [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]#[member='Sourabh'][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I have no idea about that , if it's true then obvious option would be to ditch Plasma for something else till it's made public.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]But Shuttering / Judders will not go away no matter how high refresh rate a particular LED TV might have.Vendors publish 240/400 or more Refresh rate for the LED's but in reality a LED can not have more than 120Hz screen refresh rate as that's the limit for LCD's and LED TV is nothing but LCD with led source.What TV vendors do is they add blocks of secondary refresh frame strobe's to the original screen refresh rate like if a LED TV has 60 or 100 Hz as primary refresh rate then vendors ( Samsung /Sony ) will add 2-3 blocks of 60 Hz each to make it 200/240 Hz refresh rate [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]This is not the case with Plasma's but they have their own set of problem's.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]For sport's it is generally said that Plasma's are better but personal choices should be kept in mind along with different pro's/con's of each.I use D6400 / Sony Ex 520 to watch football in my home and when i am off to some sport's bar, all i see is Plasma's mainly from Panasonic and it takes about 10-15 eye movements to feel the difference [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A high refresh rate LED ( Samsung 6 Series and Above /Sony Nx 720 and above /Lg 5700 and above ...with high refresh rate ) will automatically try to adjust the " Shuttering and Judder's " as much as they can and for regular or normal viewing it's enough in my opinion. [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]For Non 3D LED , Samsung D5900 is best in my opinion.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]For 3D LED , Samsung D6600 is enough or Samsung D8000 / Sony Hx925 for higher end.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]mjumrani [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]D6000 should be fine with some calibration [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]For Non 3D LED , Samsung D5900 is best in my opinion.[/font]

If only D5900 had a 46" size. It maxes out at 40".

No choice but to move onto D6000.

#[member='mjumrani'] any updates with your weekend visit?

I checked out both the D8000 and LGLW6500 side by side and I dont know if I'll be believed but the LG looked as good if not better than the samsung after calibration of both for best picture quality. And the 3D, LG wins hands down. It is so straight forward and problem free, that for a person who wears glasses everyday like me, it is almost glasses less 3D.

Seriously anyone considering a 3D LED or even a normal LED should once check out LG with an open mind and you are sure to be amazed.

The lack is black level is the only gripe but it is not as bad it is made out to be. Seriously give it a try. Look at it this way.. you get performance comparable to or better than the flagship samsung and amazing 3D at the price of a lesser Samsung model. Coming from a person who always preffered Samsung

And I found this test and explanation about passive 3D satisfying and in agreement with my observation

http://www.displayma..._ShootOut_1.htm

Some Reviews:

http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1319231

http://www.avsforum....69#post20102969

@artikle

That is exactly why I bought LG. First I was also inclined to samsung but when I compared all pros and cons I finally bought LG. What I learned that never stick to a brand. Currently for 3D, LG is very good as only it has passive 3D in india. For 2D if you prefer more black levels, go for Samsung or sony. LG has comparatively less black levels compared to other two. You will not notice it unless you compare. Other advantage of LG is wide viewing angle due to IPS panel. LG gives IPS panel in the same or less price compared to sony or samsung which is great. I did not adviced you any specific model as I had not compared TVs in this price range. But now that you have seen it yourself you can go ahead with LG if you liked it. One more thing is LG does not support all formats through usb. But you can buy media player if required.

#[member='artikle']

Sorry for the late update mate.

I went to a few places and the conclusion is the same as what has already been mentioned.

Samsung's Panel seems vibrant and Sony's Panel seems to show natural colours thus looks a bit dull when kept side by side.

3D winner is LG no doubt, but its panel does not seem to have the same PQ as Samsung or Sony.

One thing you should know is that after 6 series and upto 8 series in Samsung I could not see any difference in the panel and the features are similar (except for motion rate, no clue how vital it is in real life). Bezel of 7 and 8 series is a beauty.

So as far as Samsung is concerned 6600 series seems like the sensible buy and the bezel is good too.

If you have the money to splurge then move to 7 and 8 series.

As far as sony is concerned, The only reason I would buy it is because of the option for extension in warranty.

OT: I did see a Panny Plasma side by side and boy oh boy LEDs seem useless in front of it. If only the issues with plasmas were less I would've bought it eyes closed. The slim bezel be damned.

#[member='mjumrani']

Thanks. Maybe my eyes were blinded by LG's 3D, I couldnt make out the difference. Need to take another visit.
gap.gif

And a theater in my vicinity uses active 3d. I could sit though the entire movie but brightness was too bad. I guess it will be better on these TVs.

Samsung has everything I need so Im seeing if all of my family can bear active 3d again.

Though my budget is around 2L, I dont technically have the money to "splurge", I can only spend if it is really worth it. So should see.

#[member='adder']

What do you say about the differences between D6600, D7000 and D8000. Is the price difference worth it?

#[member='Satan'] , adder, mjumrani, #johnonweed

Also I have been thinking how about a a Full HD 3D Projector and a mid range TV in the same budget? I have a dedicated room of 13ft x 24ft. So thought this would be better. But I have no knowledge on projectors(but I know lamp needs to be replaced at 3000-4000 hrs). So people please advice.

#[member='jhononweed']

What do you say about the differences between D6600, D7000 and D8000. Is the price difference worth it?

#[member='Satan'] , adder, mjumrani, #johnonweed

Also I have been thinking how about a a Full HD 3D Projector and a mid range TV in the same budget? I have a dedicated room of 13ft x 24ft. So thought this would be better. But I have no knowledge on projectors(but I know lamp needs to be replaced at 3000-4000 hrs). So people please advice.

#[member='jhononweed']

No clue on the last question about projectors.

D7000 does not come at 55".

Only D6600 and D8000.

Between the 2 besides 400 vs 800 Clear Motion Rate, and bezel design, there is no difference.

Save some money and go for D6600

#[member='mjumrani'] Yes D7000 55" would have been a perfect balance. And D6600 doesnt seem to have reviews from most of the famous sites. Any links to reviews would be helpful..
happy19.gif

@all

Getting advice for projectors is pretty hard as projector enthusiasts are quite less in our country due to the recurring costs and vast difference between foreign and indian prices I think. Got this idea today, thought it would be wonderful to have a 120"-140" screen, but lets see.

For the projector, one I found is Epson TW6000. Any good 3D LED projectors(PQ is important too) in my price range?

#[member='mjumrani'] #[member='adder'] What is the real price difference between 55" D6600, D8000 AND 46"D7000 considering I need 2 sets?

Noticed just now, need to buy a wireless adapter for D6600 to get wireless net

Also noticed only D8000 has a web browser but not a problem. Does D6600 offer the full 10 point white balance settings and other custom picture settings as in D8000?

And D8000 has micro dimming. Dont know what it is worth

#[member='mjumrani'] Yes D7000 55" would have been a perfect balance. And D6600 doesnt seem to have reviews from most of the famous sites. Any links to reviews would be helpful..
happy19.gif

@all

Getting advice for projectors is pretty hard as projector enthusiasts are quite less in our country due to the recurring costs and vast difference between foreign and indian prices I think. Got this idea today, thought it would be wonderful to have a 120"-140" screen, but lets see.

For the projector, one I found is Epson TW6000. Any good 3D LED projectors(PQ is important too) in my price range?

#[member='mjumrani'] #[member='adder'] What is the real price difference between 55" D6600, D8000 AND 46"D7000 considering I need 2 sets?

Noticed just now, need to buy a wireless adapter for D6600 to get wireless net

Also noticed only D8000 has a web browser but not a problem. Does D6600 offer the full 10 point white balance settings and other custom picture settings as in D8000?

And D8000 has micro dimming. Dont know what it is worth

I do not know why 55D7000 is no longer on samsung's website.

D6600 is 1.5L and D8000 is 2L IIRC.

D6600 has built in wifi. Where did you see that it doesn't?

@artikle

The D7000 and D8000 are edge lit local dimming tvs ,so they have better contrast and also have a better motion enhancer(mostly for 3d part).

The D8000 gets a qwerty keyboard on the backside of the remote.

samsung tvs from mid to high end has the 10point white balance.

Not sure about the street price but if i was looking for a flagship tv i would strongly consider the HX923 has less reported issues then the D8000 and also gives one of the darkest blacks out there,it also has much better viewing angle compared to the majority of the lcd tvs it also has lesser contrast shift from the sides compared to IPS panels and just as good color shift as IPS panel.The D8000 is clearly inferior in this regard.

#[member='adder'] I am aware of all the advantages with hx923 but it has serious issues with crosstalk and any small tilt will lead to red or blue tinge in 3D. Plus its price is lot higher than the D8000 while the 46" is lesser than the D7000.
sad.gif
I would have loved to buy it other wise. Also D7000 doesnt have micro dimming (local dimming) in india as per samsung. So still will there be difference? Did you view all these TVs together? Im tempted by the 923 but the 3D and high price for 55" kills the deal for me. And any suggestions regarding the projector+mid range TV from your side?

#[member='mjumrani'] samsung website says we need to buy separate wifi adapter. And any reviews you have read?

Well i haven't seen them all together .I don't really give 3d any importance since most of the time one is going to watch 3d and for a fact i know that most 3d tv owners have their 3d glasses tucked away.

But i haven't seen that much amount of cross talk that you are talking about,nor did i notice any significant color tinge.

These tvs have really good black levels ,D7000 blacks are still very deep.

No idea about projectors.

#[member='adder'] So, D6600 is not as good as 7 and 8. And 3D is not so bad. Will pay Sony Center a visit tomorrow then, but Im still skeptical since every review says it. Anyway the price is too high. Is it possible to get it under 2L with 4-5 glasses? Or is a 46" ok for 9-12ft viewing distance. I would really love a 55" though. I want the experience to be amazing
sad.gif

What will be its price in Thailand/grey market(including customs).Also if I buy a grey market or Thailand Sony, can I buy extended warranty here? If yes/no how much does it cost? Also do Thailand sony or samsung or lg have warranty here?

Also am I actually getting any price advantage by buying 2011 models and not waiting for 2012 models. If yes, is the performance upgrade in 2012 models comparable to the price advantage? (Not interested in voice control etc) Thanks
happy19.gif

At that distance i would settle for a 55".

No idea about the grey ,market but you can expect it to be around 20k to 50k cheaper in grey market,should be even cheaper if bought from thailand

Well the prices doesn't seem to be any better then before for the 2011 models.But no has seen the 2012 models but expect better 3d performance and slightly better blacks.But the smart tv features may get better ,the 2012 samsung models have a dual core processor and although subjective the 2012 models are aesthetically better then the older ones ,which had that weird stand atleast not to my liking.

So will I get similar prices for the 2012 models as 2011 as soon as they start coming out. Since, a month is the maximum I can extend.

#[member='adder'] And any pointers as to when Samsung and LG start shipping the 2012 models? Sony doesnt have any good offering for 2012 AFAIK right?

#[member='adder'] So, D6600 is not as good as 7 and 8. And 3D is not so bad. Will pay Sony Center a visit tomorrow then, but Im still skeptical since every review says it. Anyway the price is too high. Is it possible to get it under 2L with 4-5 glasses? Or is a 46" ok for 9-12ft viewing distance. I would really love a 55" though. I want the experience to be amazing
sad.gif

What will be its price in Thailand/grey market(including customs).Also if I buy a grey market or Thailand Sony, can I buy extended warranty here? If yes/no how much does it cost? Also do Thailand sony or samsung or lg have warranty here?

Also am I actually getting any price advantage by buying 2011 models and not waiting for 2012 models. If yes, is the performance upgrade in 2012 models comparable to the price advantage? (Not interested in voice control etc) Thanks
happy19.gif

Samsung comes with 4 free glasses for those sizes.

Do not buy samsung from Thailand. Buy it from Dubai.

Though the prices in Thailand could be as low as 50%, but depends on luck.

@all where is the list of the newly launched samsung models?

These tvs have really good black levels ,D7000 blacks are still very deep.

No idea about projectors.

D6600 has equally deep blacks as D7000 (personal opinion)

#[member='adder'] I am aware of all the advantages with hx923 but it has serious issues with crosstalk and any small tilt will lead to red or blue tinge in 3D. Plus its price is lot higher than the D8000 while the 46" is lesser than the D7000.
sad.gif
I would have loved to buy it other wise. Also D7000 doesnt have micro dimming (local dimming) in india as per samsung. So still will there be difference? Did you view all these TVs together? Im tempted by the 923 but the 3D and high price for 55" kills the deal for me. And any suggestions regarding the projector+mid range TV from your side?

#[member='mjumrani'] samsung website says we need to buy separate wifi adapter. And any reviews you have read?

No it doesn't say that.

[attachment=13245:Untitled.jpg]

No reviews, just personal opinions after seeing at friends houses and showrooms.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 117
^ Except for the 8 series, I do not see how they are better than 2011 lineup.

Prices seem to be in line with dubai prices. Expect it to be a bit higher in India.

I say if you have to go for anything, get D7000. You should be more than happy.

I will be heading to in 2-3 weeks, if you haven't bought anything by then, I can give you a better idea about 2012 models after that. I am yet to buy the ticket though

Back