Disciple
hi guys,

need help on new graphics card

580gtx lighting:29.5k

asus direct cu ii version:28.2k

2x 560/6950 2gb:29-31k

will be using this one for 2 years hopefully

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

also can corsair tx 650w handle this cards with overclocking,cpu is overclocked to 4.5ghz,rest of config is in sig

Grab a single HD6950 2GB and unlock, see you'll save 30-17=13k in the process. Now instead of 2 years, you can add another 4k and upgrade in 1 year itself(it will be worth it, 28nm goodness is coming this year itself)

2 x 6950 with a bit of overclock can definitely beat the crap out of a HD6990 or GTX590, leave alone a single GTX580. Check the results of benchmarks of my 6950 CF that I posted on the forum. I hit 10054 in 3DMark 11 with clocks and temps that are 24/7 usable (68 deg load). For 31k, that is the best value for money.

That said, I would not recommend running 6950 CF on a 650W PSU. A 750~800W is a much safer bet. Looking at your specs, I would say that adding a second GTX570 and a beefier PSU is the way to go. Not much sense in selling that Sonic Platinum in order to buy a GTX580 or a couple of 6950's.

^^

Yups that Crossfire combination is a beast...!

Though would not the TX650 be fine for the type of combination the OP is thinking. It does not have 4x PEG connectors, but still manages fine. Saying it from my perspective, with such howling power hungry cards. That is if someone has a TX650. Of course if a new build than >=750W should be the norm. Plus is much much safer. :)

thanks everyone ordered msi 580 gtx lightning, since I don't want to change psu

plus micro suttering can't taje it,need smooth experiance

It's actually called poor optimization, and that guy is an idiot to compare HD5870 to HD6950.

Why am I calling him an idiot?

1. HD6950 > HD5870

2. HD6900 series CFx scales MUCH BETTER than HD5800 series CFx

Thats why that idiot's entire thread is baseless and hence pointless.

Never buy CF/SLi unless you have the money to waste or are running high resolution like 2560x1600. The benefit is extremely short lived. As games get more demanding over the months, performance will drop drastically compared to a powerful single GPU. When the next single GPU arrives for half the price and demolishes your multi-GPU setup you'll realize what a foolish decision it was.

Go for the 560Ti SLI eyes closed :cool: ...price less than or equal to the 580...slightly higher power comsumption....but far greater resale value bro...am myself considering to SLI my GTX460...performance is in the league of GTX580! :shock:

He already bought the GTX 580.

Which was a really good decision.

First the newer HD6950 cannot be shader unlocked since it typical AMD to tempt the overclocker/unlockers and then blocking it.

Only the ones released earlier were able to be shader unlocked.

Second WHY I mean WHY go with a multi GPU setup when a single card is available which would be way more than enough for any game you throw at it.

More Heat

More Power

Driver Issues

Lesser Resale value

Difficult to upgrade

Better to avoid the few pointless FPS gains and go with a single card.

^^+1 for the Single card thing

And also the 590 when released was just an overpriced lighter they worked on it a bit but it still runs pretty hot and then again it is a dual GPU which also should be avoided

mihir.khatwani said:
He already bought the GTX 580.

Which was a really good decision.

First the newer HD6950 cannot be shader unlocked since it typical AMD to tempt the overclocker/unlockers and then blocking it.

Only the ones released earlier were able to be shader unlocked.

Second WHY I mean WHY go with a multi GPU setup when a single card is available which would be way more than enough for any game you throw at it.

More Heat

More Power

Driver Issues

Lesser Resale value

Difficult to upgrade

Better to avoid the few pointless FPS gains and go with a single card.
The new batch AMD HD 6950 2GB AMD stock pieces can still be unlocked (ironically Hades unlocked his card in April). So it is not AMD's trick or ploy to draw overclockers into any sort of trap. Plus for a rough gain of ~ 10 - 15 fps, I will not justify buying a nVidia card + power consumption.

Back