Graphic Cards 580 gtx vs 560 gtx sli

ALPHA17 said:
The new batch AMD HD 6950 2GB AMD stock pieces can still be unlocked (ironically Hades unlocked his card in April). So it is not AMD's trick or ploy to draw overclockers into any sort of trap. Plus for a rough gain of ~ 10 - 15 fps, I will not justify buying a nVidia card + power consumption.
The earliest GPUs HD 6950s which were tested and about 40 of them were tested and 38 were unlockable.

But the newer ones it is just a matter of luck but anyways till april even I had seen a lot of cards unlocked and also since in India the card sales are not that high someone with a good luck can get a GPU from the older stock.

And recently since the past 2 weeks I haven't come accross any HD6950s which were unlockable.

But in India I am not sure because some dealer might have older GPUs in stock.

mihir.khatwani said:
He already bought the GTX 580.

Which was a really good decision.

First the newer HD6950 cannot be shader unlocked since it typical AMD to tempt the overclocker/unlockers and then blocking it.

Only the ones released earlier were able to be shader unlocked.

Second WHY I mean WHY go with a multi GPU setup when a single card is available which would be way more than enough for any game you throw at it.

More Heat

More Power

Driver Issues

Lesser Resale value

Difficult to upgrade

Better to avoid the few pointless FPS gains and go with a single card.
IMO, the only reason one should buy a card like GTX580 is in order to SLI it. If you want to go with a single card, a GTX570 or HD6970 is always a much better deal. A GTX580 is no better than a couple of mid range cards in SLI/CF when it comes to power consumption and heat, but it churns out only 50~60% in terms of performance.

karizma.r2008 said:
single powerful card is much better than crossfire/sli. you can also go for 590 if your budget allows.
1. The era of Single Powerful card better than SLI/CF is long gone simply because performance/watt is pretty poor for such cards.

2. 590 is a crappy single card multi GPU solution which even a couple of mid range GPU's can beat in performance with a lot more safety and for a considerably lower price.

Back