OC & Modding 5800x undervolting

Slayer88

Adept
Hi All,

Any 5800x (specifically) users that have successfully played around with PBO customization and undervolting and have had positive results?

The negative offsetting as I understand helps with perf improvement but not necessarily temps reduction. My requirement is performance maximization and temp reduction. If it's too much of a hassle to get both, i'd want to keep perf same but reduce temps.

I'm primarily looking to know what best values to use for; (i know this will differ based on the silicon sample, but looking for a ballpark)

1) Negative offset
2) PPT
3) TDC
4) EDC

I have watched a few videos and seen some Reddit posts but wanted to hear from you gents first hand and recent experience. The material I have reviewed is pretty old and AGESA versions have changed quite a bit since those posts/videos.

TIA

Publish your specs to know whether it is possible or not. (cabinet, cpu cooler etc).

I think I had set -18 offset and it did reduce temps when I ran cinebench. Without -ve offset, it was hitting 90degrees and throttling. With -ve offset, it was reaching max of 87 or so. This is with Lian Li Lancool 215X which is very very airy cabinet and CM Hyper 212 Red CPU cooler.

The only way you will know for yours is by giving it a try. It is harmless (at the max, OS will restart or hang or it wont boot. In case of boot up issues, just pull the battery or jump CMOS reset and you are good to go again.

Publish your specs to know whether it is possible or not. (cabinet, cpu cooler etc).

I think I had set -18 offset and it did reduce temps when I ran cinebench. Without -ve offset, it was hitting 90degrees and throttling. With -ve offset, it was reaching max of 87 or so. This is with Lian Li Lancool 215X which is very very airy cabinet and CM Hyper 212 Red CPU cooler.

The only way you will know for yours is by giving it a try. It is harmless (at the max, OS will restart or hang or it wont boot. In case of boot up issues, just pull the battery or jump CMOS reset and you are good to go again.
thanks for your reply. You're talking about a 5800x too, right? Specs below.

Ryzen 7 5800x | Aorus X570 Pro WiFi | Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti | 32GB HyperX Fury RGB 3200Mz | 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | NZXT x53 240mm AIO | 850W Antec HCG Gold | Lancool K62

thanks for your reply. You're talking about a 5800x too, right? Specs below.

Ryzen 7 5800x | Aorus X570 Pro WiFi | Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti | 32GB HyperX Fury RGB 3200Mz | 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | NZXT x53 240mm AIO | 850W Antec HCG Gold | Lancool K62

This is the one that I had followed for basic understanding. With X570 and AiO, you can definitely achieve lower temperatures with undervolting. Performance improvement, not sure if your CPU is not throttling (reaching 90 degrees). If your idle temps are under 45 and load temps are under 80, I would not bother doing any undervolting.

This is the one that I had followed for basic understanding. With X570 and AiO, you can definitely achieve lower temperatures with undervolting. Performance improvement, not sure if your CPU is not throttling (reaching 90 degrees). If your idle temps are under 45 and load temps are under 80, I would not bother doing any undervolting.
Yup, have seen this video too. Seems to be the most straightforward one. I never hit more that 70 in gaming. (have neve run cinebench as i feel thats never the stress my CPU will get in my use cases) but i was playing a very high bitrate 4k video and CPU was 57-59 and was not too happy. While gaming in SOTTR maxed out at 1080p my average is sub 60, so i don't like the fact that playing a video (albeit very high bitrate) needs to hit those temps. My idle (no apps, chrome, music) is 39-40. But playing FLACs also keeps its at like 45-47.

I know nothing alarming here, just want to reduce temps and in turn, fans ramping up, as much as possible

Those temperatures are pretty good for a 5800X. Yeah, I have 5800X.

This chip has all 8 cores on single die and it is known to run hot. If your max temps are not going above 70, don't bother undervolting. 5800x won't even sweat under 70 degrees temperature as it is pretty normal.

Do try once though for your knowledge. If you want to keep it undervolted, you can decide based on results. I am gaming at 1080p with 1650 gpu and temps go to 65 degree or so. I love in Bangalore where even summer temps in the room won't go beyond 30 without AC.

I know nothing alarming here, just want to reduce temps and in turn, fans ramping up, as much as possible
If your board has a CPU socket temp sensor, you can use that as reference for your case fans instead of CPU package temp.

The fan ramp was driving me crazy until I changed the temp source to something more stable. My socket temps generally range from 40-60 degrees on an MSI B550I with a 5900X (I have also used a 5800X and 5600X). Socket temp is unaffected by momentary spikes and changes only with a significant amount of sustained power draw. Now the fan ramp sounds much more pleasant and happens very slowly. Benchmark scores were unaffected.

You can observe how the socket temps vary starting from a cold boot to a >=30 min synthetic load and use that as your reference for the fan curve.

Those temperatures are pretty good for a 5800X. Yeah, I have 5800X.

This chip has all 8 cores on single die and it is known to run hot. If your max temps are not going above 70, don't bother undervolting. 5800x won't even sweat under 70 degrees temperature as it is pretty normal.

Do try once though for your knowledge. If you want to keep it undervolted, you can decide based on results. I am gaming at 1080p with 1650 gpu and temps go to 65 degree or so. I love in Bangalore where even summer temps in the room won't go beyond 30 without AC.
You have the awesome Bangalore weather in your favour, though my CPU cooler is a bit efficient that yours, Mumbai weather negates that! Also, I mostly use my my PC with my home theatre and the CPU+HT+TV really warms the room a lot, sadly no AC in my living room where the setup is. PS - the gaming temps are for SOTTR, i think it used to be quite a bit higher when i used to play Metro Exodus

If your board has a CPU socket temp sensor, you can use that as reference for your case fans instead of CPU package temp.

The fan ramp was driving me crazy until I changed the temp source to something more stable. My socket temps generally range from 40-60 degrees on an MSI B550I with a 5900X (I have also used a 5800X and 5600X). Socket temp is unaffected by momentary spikes and changes only with a significant amount of sustained power draw. Now the fan ramp sounds much more pleasant and happens very slowly. Benchmark scores were unaffected.

You can observe how the socket temps vary starting from a cold boot to a >=30 min synthetic load and use that as your reference for the fan curve.
Interesting, are you doing this in the BIOS or in some windows app? Because in the BIOS I'm positive i cannot do this (unless i do not know what this is called). My old MSI x570 board, albeit lower end, would allow me to set fans on more sensors. One that particularly miss is being able to control a fan based on the PCH temp. I plan to use this setup for a long time so i have a fan blowing air on my PCH to avoid the PCH fan from being on all the time and dying (thanks to Mumbai weather). Yes, this last be it a bit a bit extra and you can call me paranoid :D

Interesting, are you doing this in the BIOS or in some windows app? Because in the BIOS I'm positive i cannot do this (unless i do not know what this is called).
I do this in the BIOS (Have attached a pic).

Basically look for anything like temp source or reference temp in the BIOS section where you configure the fan curve. Mid and high end boards usually have some extra sensors near the socket, PCIe slots etc. You should be able to change the source to one of these instead of CPU.

I’ve read that there are some fan control software that should allow you to map fans to any available temp reading including GPUs. Haven’t used any myself though.
Yes, this last be it a bit a bit extra and you can call me paranoid :D
:p

Attachments

• 6AC8AD4C-9471-4B11-B509-5EF348F39A37.jpeg
    6AC8AD4C-9471-4B11-B509-5EF348F39A37.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 426
I do this in the BIOS (Have attached a pic).

Basically look for anything like temp source or reference temp in the BIOS section where you configure the fan curve. Mid and high end boards usually have some extra sensors near the socket, PCIe slots etc. You should be able to change the source to one of these instead of CPU.

I’ve read that there are some fan control software that should allow you to map fans to any available temp reading including GPUs. Haven’t used any myself though.

:p
Just checked, my board does not let me re-map the CPU and CPU_OPT fan headers to anything else by CPU. FFS!

I had set offset to -30 today and did another run of Cinebench R23 and I got 15230 for multi core which is very very good. The only problem is that unlike earlier, thanks to summer, temps hit 90 degrees. Full 10 minute run is happening which means that the CPU is stable. Looks like I won the silicon lottery as not every 5800x can hit 15k in cinebench R23. Now, i am thinking of switching to AiO or the monster Noctua D15 when I go for new GPU.

I had set offset to -30 today and did another run of Cinebench R23 and I got 15230 for multi core which is very very good. The only problem is that unlike earlier, thanks to summer, temps hit 90 degrees. Full 10 minute run is happening which means that the CPU is stable. Looks like I won the silicon lottery as not every 5800x can hit 15k in cinebench R23. Now, i am thinking of switching to AiO or the monster Noctua D15 when I go for new GPU.
I tried running a few games benchmark at stock, -20 and ,-30 no impact noticed. Temps seem same/similar too. I guess these are really only helpful when the CPU hits thermal threshold and throttling starts, which in my scenario, isn't happening. Am I missing something? Not sure why many videos said 'Free FPS', surely no game hits CPUs like Cinebench would, right?

I tried running a few games benchmark at stock, -20 and ,-30 no impact noticed. Temps seem same/similar too. I guess these are really only helpful when the CPU hits thermal threshold and throttling starts, which in my scenario, isn't happening. Am I missing something? Not sure why many videos said 'Free FPS', surely no game hits CPUs like Cinebench would, right?
Yes, there are very few games that depend heavily on CPU. For majority of games, undervolting wont matter. One good thing with undervolting is that it keeps the temperature lower and clocks higher when compared to factory set voltages at any point (not by much though). If you do not game much, switch to Eco Mode in Ryzen and that will keep the fans run at lower rpms, reducing noise. If you do game a lot and want to cut down on noise, investing in fans designed to run silent will be better.

Yes, there are very few games that depend heavily on CPU. For majority of games, undervolting wont matter. One good thing with undervolting is that it keeps the temperature lower and clocks higher when compared to factory set voltages at any point (not by much though). If you do not game much, switch to Eco Mode in Ryzen and that will keep the fans run at lower rpms, reducing noise. If you do game a lot and want to cut down on noise, investing in fans designed to run silent will be better.
Actually my PC is not very noisy tbh, I'm being nitpicky! But let me validate gaming temps after a session to validate your 3rd statement above. I have a NUC which i use for media consumption, if im watching a hevc 4k file I turn on my 5800x machine. Else the 5800x is only used for gaming. But one thing that I hate is the random spikes which are very common on the 5800x, I wish my board supported Temp binding in the BIOS to CPU socket like @FerroSilicius mentioned.
Using my mentioned settings my 5600x is rocking even in summer heat!
Mentioned where, buddy?

You are comparing 5600x with 5800x?
Well pbo etc all settings are common to 5xx series.
Btw no matter the settings 5800 or even 5700x doesnt benefit 100% as it requires more tweaking from ryzen master and then apply on that basis in bios.
Google more!
I have done hell lotta research for getting my 5600x temps in place. I do not have setting by hand as of now as I'm not in town.

Back