OC & Modding 5800x undervolting

Well pbo etc all settings are common to 5xx series.
Btw no matter the settings 5800 or even 5700x doesnt benefit 100% as it requires more tweaking from ryzen master and then apply on that basis in bios.
Google more!
I have done hell lotta research for getting my 5600x temps in place. I do not have setting by hand as of now as I'm not in town.
Why are you even trying to get 5600x temps in control? This is the best zen 3 chip when it comes to thermals. The reason why I asked you about comparing 5600x and 5800x is because one has max TDP of 65W and the other has 105W max TDP. Ways to keep them cool are very different. 5800x needs strong airflow case and efficient cooler. 5600X can run fine even on a SFF build.

Why are you even trying to get 5600x temps in control? This is the best zen 3 chip when it comes to thermals. The reason why I asked you about comparing 5600x and 5800x is because one has max TDP of 65W and the other has 105W max TDP. Ways to keep them cool are very different. 5800x needs strong airflow case and efficient cooler. 5600X can run fine even on a SFF build.
Seems you haven't yet googled at all for ryzen 5 issues. TDP rating comparison is a mere bluff. This was the very reason I wanted to go for Intel but went for Ryzen 5 thinking the same logic..65w. Even this 65w chip cores are extremely sensitive and hungry for frequent boosting.
Search here for my and other 5600 threads regarding higher stock temps. Hunt reddit more.
I use stock hsf not after market coolers or aio. Many users fall for aios and coolers when they are not able to control their chips stock temps.
I was also going to go after an aio or some cheap cooler but no more. As research and tweaks made the temps significantly well under control.

Seems you haven't yet googled at all for ryzen 5 issues. TDP rating comparison is a mere bluff. This was the very reason I wanted to go for Intel but went for Ryzen 5 thinking the same logic..65w. Even this 65w chip cores are extremely sensitive and hungry for frequent boosting.
Search here for my and other 5600 threads regarding higher stock temps. Hunt reddit more.
I use stock hsf not after market coolers or aio. Many users fall for aios and coolers when they are not able to control their chips stock temps.
I was also going to go after an aio or some cheap cooler but no more. As research and tweaks made the temps significantly well under control.
Brother, do share what your settings are.

I think you are missing my point. TDP rating is not a bluff and is a good reference point to know what kind of cooler you need to keep the CPU temperatures in control and in desired range. 5600x has a 65W TDP which means that a cooler with decent TDP can efficiently cool this chip and you can further bring the temperature down (not heat generation) using BIOS tweaks. This lower TDP is one of the reasons why you are able to achieve temperature drop without going for high end coolers or AiO. For this, a good cooler brings massive difference in how fast the CPU is cooled. I have friend who is using Noctua U12 (max TDP of 140W) for his 5600X and his cpu temperature hovers around 60 degrees during R23 run (and he is in Delhi) and only during Prime95 stress test, it went to 79. That CPU is undervolted as well. Probably you got an average silicon and he got gold in silicon lottery.

Now, Imagine putting a average TDP cooler on a 5800x which generates lot higher heat every minute when stressed or when under load. It just wont work, whatever tweaks you do to BIOS or PBO. This 5800x and chips that have higher TDP (eg: 12th generation core chips that have 140W TDP) need efficient cooling to keep them running cooler. I have a Hyper 212 cooler (max TDP of 150W) and current temps (while doing nothing but typing this response) is around 40 degrees. It goes to around 60 degrees while gaming at 1080p and hits 90 degree peak in R23 after a minute or two. I am pretty sure that this same cooler does far better job at cooling 5600X as there is less amount of heat generated by that chip (actually, max TDP of 5600X is less than 50% of Hyper 212 capacity). I hope you get my point on why 5600x and 5800x cannot be compared.

One more thing. This is simple thermodynamics, right? If you have very good airflow over the CPU cooler and if the dirty air is pulled efficiently out of the system, you achieve better cooling (positive pressure). This way, heat sink is able to pull the heat from CPU faster and CPU temperature comes down faster even though CPU is operating at max TDP at that point of time. This negates the need to do infinite tweaks to CPU voltages. I have tried various settings and thanks to my B450 chipset, I do not get the level of control that PBO2 brings. So, I either change my mobo for better tweaking or go with efficient cooling. Right now, I can clearly see that there is positive airflow in my cabinet (simple agarbatti test to confirm). If I want to reduce the temps further, all that I need is a better cooler.

Brother, do share what your settings are.
You can set PBO override to Manual and set these, try:

PPT : 125
TDC: 90
EDC: 125

Then for offset, start with negative 20 (all core) and move towards 30. Suggest you use cinebench R23 multi core test to know how the temps are. Run R23 without any undervolting for reference values.

You can set PBO override to Manual and set these, try:

PPT : 125
TDC: 90
EDC: 125

Then for offset, start with negative 20 (all core) and move towards 30. Suggest you use cinebench R23 multi core test to know how the temps are. Run R23 without any undervolting for reference values.
Thanks will give this a go

Exactly what I needed. I tried looking for a thread like this, clearly I did not do a great job at that. Thanks for sharing!
Welcome. Remember that these setting give you better thermal efficiency at high load. It will not help at all for normal load as cpu wil not even touch 25 percent of the limits.

Last edited:
Welcome. Remember that these setting give you better thermal efficiency at high load. It will not help at all for normal load as cpu wil not even touch 25 percent of the limits.
Oh, even during gaming load? I mean why do people rave about temp reduction with these methods? Very few real-world workloads tax the CPU that much. This is really seeming pointless to me now..*sigh*

Oh, even during gaming load? I mean why do people rave about temp reduction with these methods? Very few real-world workloads tax the CPU that much. This is really seeming pointless to me now..*sigh*
Give it a try, it will be a good learn. You do not have to do it in Bios every time. Set the values in Ryzen Master (by modifying profile 1 and apply), run Cinebench for 5 minutes atleast. Then reduce further in ryzen master and test cinebench. My sweet spot was at 120-75-110 with -30 offset. Got cinebench R23 score of 15238 and temperature did not cross 81 degrees. I was playing Forza Horizon 4, GPU being GTX 1650 (at high settings, 2K resolution) and CPU temperature was barely going above 60 degrees. It will be interesting to see what happens when I get a 3070 or 3080 and push settings to Ultra.

Tbh PBO limits don’t affect the spikes much. For low to medium loads when fewer cores are used they still have the same boost behaviour as they don’t run into the power or current limits (Unless it is drastically lowered to the extent it reduces performance).

Similarly undervolting helps performance and has a slight temp improvement in lightly threaded loads and significant difference in heavier loads.

Ultimately to hit the high boost clocks in just a few cores the CPU will ramp up the voltage very high. It cannot dissipate the heat fast enough due to it being concentrated in a small area and the temp will spike. In the 5000 series especially 5800x and above, this is very obvious as the temps when under 100% load are much lower than when less than half the cores are used. This is because although the power draw is the same or even higher, It is distributed across more cores (more surface area) and at a lower voltage/clock speed.

Only things which can drastically bring spikes down is either running a fixed voltage/clock speed or using a negative max boost offset.

Keep an extra BIOS profile with the following settings,

PBO set to advanced
PBO Limits set to manual
Max clock override: -200MHz
Curve optimiser: -30 offset

Depending on how much multithreaded performance you want to sacrifice, run one of the below limits. They are based on Eco mode values which you can fine tune if needed.

Eco Mode 95W:
PPT: 128W
TDC: 80A
EDC: 125A

Eco Mode 65W:
PPT: 87W
TDC: 60A
EDC: 90A

Eco Mode 45W:
PPT: 60W
TDC: 45A
EDC: 65A

I suggest 65W/95W values for 5800X. You can save this as a profile for silence and efficiency.

I run CO -30, -200MHz offset and 65W Eco values on my 5900X unless I plan to use intensive games/apps. I lose a slight amount of single threaded perf and only 18 percent multicore compared to stock settings with PBO off. The max temps I hit under any circumstance goes down by 25-30C depending on the ambient.

Last edited:
Give it a try, it will be a good learn. You do not have to do it in Bios every time. Set the values in Ryzen Master (by modifying profile 1 and apply), run Cinebench for 5 minutes atleast. Then reduce further in ryzen master and test cinebench. My sweet spot was at 120-75-110 with -30 offset. Got cinebench R23 score of 15238 and temperature did not cross 81 degrees. I was playing Forza Horizon 4, GPU being GTX 1650 (at high settings, 2K resolution) and CPU temperature was barely going above 60 degrees. It will be interesting to see what happens when I get a 3070 or 3080 and push settings to Ultra.
Hey thanks, will do it for learning and TP. What were your temps while gaming in FH4 at stock settings?
Tbh PBO limits don’t affect the spikes much. For low to medium loads when fewer cores are used they still have the same boost behaviour as they don’t run into the power or current limits (Unless it is drastically lowered to the extent it reduces performance).

Similarly undervolting helps performance and has a slight temp improvement in lightly threaded loads and significant difference in heavier loads.

Ultimately to hit the high boost clocks in just a few cores the CPU will ramp up the voltage very high. It cannot dissipate the heat fast enough due to it being concentrated in a small area and the temp will spike. In the 5000 series especially 5800x and above, this is very obvious as the temps when under 100% load are much lower than when less than half the cores are used. This is because although the power draw is the same or even higher, It is distributed across more cores (more surface area) and at a lower voltage/clock speed.

Only things which can drastically bring spikes down is either running a fixed voltage/clock speed or using a negative max boost offset.

Keep an extra BIOS profile with the following settings,

PBO set to advanced
PBO Limits set to manual
Max clock override: -200MHz
Curve optimiser: -30 offset

Depending on how much multithreaded performance you want to sacrifice, run one of the below limits. They are based on Eco mode values which you can fine tune if needed.

Eco Mode 95W:
PPT: 128W
TDC: 80A
EDC: 125A

Eco Mode 65W:
PPT: 87W
TDC: 60A
EDC: 90A

Eco Mode 45W:
PPT: 60W
TDC: 45A
EDC: 65A

I suggest 65W/95W values for 5800X. You can save this as a profile for silence and efficiency.

I run CO -30, -200MHz offset and 65W Eco values on my 5900X unless I plan to use intensive games/apps. I lose a slight amount of single threaded perf and only 18 percent multicore compared to stock settings with PBO off. The max temps I hit under any circumstance goes down by 25-30C depending on the ambient.
Sure thanks, will play around.

Back