OC & Modding 70% alcohol

huntu123

Disciple
where to find this rubbing alcohol as i need to clean the remains of pre-applied paste from both cpu and gpu...i have enquired in some local chemist shops but they do not keep such things...

Actually they do keep it .. its called Surgical Spirit .. well at least the one available locally in mumbai is called that .. its a 200ml bottle ... so go use this name ... on that it was written "isopropyl alcohol" in brackets ... so yea. .. or if the chemist still doesnt get it .. say you want that liquid u use to clean ur skin before getting an injection :p

vaibhav1 said:
how do we know that whether it is 70% or 80% alcohol.?:ashamed:

will be on the label. go to any chemist/pharmacist and get surgical spirit

You could always buy absinthe :bleh:

The name on the bottle of spirit I have is Ciprit. 100ml, 44 bucks and 70% isopropyl alcohol.

Ever heard of ACETONE ?

Its a nail-polish remover,i dunno the contents of the Alcohol % but it gets the job done real fine and will cost you just Rs11

Probably your mom/wife/girlfriend might be using it,chk it out

Acetone + a cotton cloth = Job done !!

I personally use it :)

I got a 500ml isopropyl alcohol bottle from a local chemist for 150/-. Its a white bottle says 'Iso Propyle Alcohol' and 'Propan - 2 ol' and 'For laboratory use only'and is 99% min concentration. Does its job really well. Tried burning the cloth i used to cl3an off the TIM, and its more inflammable than petrol it seems :p

Get the one with min amount of water. Water might damage circuits like the 70 or 08% concentration spirit (rest is water). The above one has 0.2% max H20.

YashBhatt said:
Ever heard of ACETONE ?

Its a nail-polish remover,i dunno the contents of the Alcohol % but it gets the job done real fine and will cost you just Rs11

Probably your mom/wife/girlfriend might be using it,chk it out

Acetone + a cotton cloth = Job done !!

I personally use it :)

Dude I did used the nail polish remover it did the job nicely but it gave my processor some kind of permanent stain on it.

Do not use a nail polish removal or any other liquid with any colour in it. Buy ~100% Isopropyl alcohol or ethanol and make a 70% solution yourself using distilled water. You will get distilled water from any electronic shop selling batteries. DO NOT use normal water as it is conductive. Best cleaning is with 70-80% isopropyl alcohol because a little bit of water is required for removing polar dirt. Alcohol removes all the organic/non-polar impurities.

YashBhatt said:
I didnt knew that but thnx mate !!

Will Probably get Surgical Spirit and get rid of acetone :p

Most surgical spirit are only 70% concentration with 30% water, which could damage delicate components, like if you are cleaning GPU or other chips. But for proccy only, just be careful not to spill too much to the pins and mobo area, as the outer metal wont be damaged.

To be safe, go for 99.9% pure alcohol(methan-ol or propan-ol) from a chemist.

dOm1naTOr said:
Most surgical spirit are only 70% concentration with 30% water, which could damage delicate components, like if you are cleaning GPU or other chips. But for proccy only, just be careful not to spill too much to the pins and mobo area, as the outer metal wont be damaged.

To be safe, go for 99.9% pure alcohol(methan-ol or propan-ol) from a chemist.

Alright...But i mostly take out the proccy and the CPU fan/Heatsink

Dust out the fan and clean the proccy with a cotton cloth so i guess that eliminates the Spill factor....

YashBhatt said:
Alright...But i mostly take out the proccy and the CPU fan/Heatsink

Dust out the fan and clean the proccy with a cotton cloth so i guess that eliminates the Spill factor....

If you use it only for CPU cleaning. Using 70% alcohol might be dangerous for GPU, VGA RAMS, and mobo components.

dOm1naTOr said:
If you use it only for CPU cleaning. Using 70% alcohol might be dangerous for GPU, VGA RAMS, and mobo components.

Ya,i get your point mate but i only use it for proccy n heatsink cleaning.....

For cleaning other components will use 100% alcohol solution :)

Back