sam000

Adept
In TN today they are implementing 8 hrs powercut
<
-

Situation :

3 hr cut then 3 hr supply X 2 + 1Hr cut then i Hr supply X 2 = Total 8 Hrs

What i need :

I need an inverter that should run 1 table fan + PC in my sig + 1 Tube light for those 3Hrs period then should be able to recharge in the next 3 hrs and give backup for the next 3 hr cut .

market :

the local microtek authorized dealer in the nearby town has given me this option :

600VA pure sine wave inverter : Rs 4500 (2 Yr warranty)

battery he gave 3 options :

option 1 : IR 350+ 12V 100Ah Tubular battery : Rs 8500 ( 36 months replacement warranty)

option 2 : IT400 INVA TUBULAR BATTERY : Rs 11,000

Option 3 : IT500 Tubular 150Ah battery : Rs 13800 (4 yrs warranty with 3 yrs as replacement)

He says 600VA is enough as its capable of handling like 500Watts -he says even the 17 inch CRT wont be a problem- he also says even with the IR350 battery i can run all the above for like 3 hrs - if i go for IR500 i could easily run all the thing for like 6 hrs easy
<

he says the microtek inverter has a switch at the back for fast recharging as well - so it can recharge even the IR500 150Ah fully in that 3 hrs.

Now thats what HE says and me being a noob have no way of knowing if all he said was true or not...so posting here so the experts can guide me
<

sam000 you back again looking for Inverter????

Ok. First point, stay away from APC home inverter. Be it pure sinewave or modified sine wave. Just stay away from it.

The price quoted for 600VA is really high. You would get a microtek 850VA pure sinewave for 4700 here in chennai.

Choosing your battery is of your own choice. The more the amps the more the back up. There has been a lot of discussion on which battery is good for inverters, whether its Tubular or normal inverter batteries.

There no possibility of charging a 150AH battery in 3 hours, i guess the dealer is a noob than what you are
<
. Sorry to quote you as a noob, i used it just for comparison. I know that Microtek has a fast charge setting, but the max charge current might not exceed 15 amps. Charging a 150AH battery in 3 hrs requires 50Amp output, secondly it will melt the batteries.

Regarding the wattage that a inverter can support is about 80% of the rated capacity. If you are going in for 650 VA, then it can support upto 400-500 watts and not more than that.

Please note that 500 watts is at 100% capacity which is not advisable for continuous usage. Go for 850VA for 4700 to 4800 from Chennai. Connect a decent battery and good to go.

My first choice would be

1.Luminous

2.Microtek

3.Su-kam

4.Numeric

There are plenty of other brands, but the after sales service for these brands are good in and around chennai. I did not include APC, cos its not worth the price you pay for.

Hope this helps. PM me if you need more details.

Most of what the dealer is saying is incorrent

Even in case of option 3, 150Ah@12v=1800Wh

so,constant 300 W for 6 hours IN THEORY

Accounting for all the losses,etc Its doubtful if it would last more than 3-4 hours at even 300W, forget about 500W(which a 600VA inverter is unlikely to handle anyways)

Whats your budget?

You could go for a SuKam 1.4kVa inverter with 2 batteries totalling 300Ah or more, but it will cost you 22k+

Also, note that most of these inverter cum UPS'es will start running off battery when in UPS mode and the input voltage goes outside of 200-260 or so, since they dont have built in stabilizers

So, make sure you have decent input voltages, or a UPS between the inverter(which you can run in inverter mode) and the PC

Please note that 500 watts is at 100% capacity which is not advisable for continuous usage. Go for 850VA for 4700 to 4800 from Chennai. Connect a decent battery and good to go.

AFAIK the max battery capacity available in the market it 200Ah@12v=2400Wh which will still not give more than 3-4 hours at 500W loads

4 hours@500W=2000Wh

Accounting for losses(effective capacity of batteries reduce as the rate of discharge increases) and other losses

Even in theory, 5 hours is not possible

Ok, OP has time to charge the batteries in between, so managing with a 200Ah battery MAY be possible, but that battery will be screwed badly by going through 2 deep discharge cycles on a daily basis

Go with Luminous / Sukam 1.4kVa Inverter, I'm using Luminous with 2 X 150AH battery ... Runs my PC + HT + 40" LED Tv fine for 3 hours ( I use UPS Mode though) ...

First thanks kishore.chander& mehrotra.akash for the detailed reply
<

Budget is 20K the less the better ...i want trouble free service for at least 3 yrs.

Now this is the current setup i am running :

E2180 @ stock

Abit IP35-E

HD4850

1 X WD blue 500GB

1 X Hitachi 1TB

3GB DDR 2 RAM

I wont be using the speakers when running off the inverter....wont be playing any games or even watch movies when on inverter....STICTLY just browsing or reading e-books when powering from inverter...

So how much power will this rig consume now ? i am guesssing less than 150Watts even with the 17inch CRT ? then the table fan is rated at 55W and the tube light like 40 Watts if am correct ...so total 150+55+40 = 245Watts

Also called up the Microtek Service center and they connected me to their UPS guy he too says the same thing 150Ah + 850VA will get me 3-3.5 hrs backup with normal battery but with tubular he says the backup will be 4 hrs guaranteed....the charging after 4 hrs will be in the range of 10-11 hrs he said
<

Talked to this luminous dealer as well today he is quoting :

Inverter : Rs 6800 (why are they so expensive
<
?)

Battery tall tubular 150Ah : Rs 13800 (48 months warranty with 36 months as replacement)

Battery tall tubular 150Ah : Rs 13800 (48 months warranty with 36 months as replacement)

The above battery is priced way too much. I had a shop quoting me (Exide Inva Tubular IT500) 9K - 11K (I dont remember) here in Bangalore / Chennai branch shop. Let me know if you want their number. They deliver to your door step.

I need 4 of em Since my UPS accepts only 48v input.

I wont be using the speakers when running off the inverter....wont be playing any games or even watch movies when on inverter....STICTLY just browsing or reading e-books when powering from inverter...

So how much power will this rig consume now ? i am guesssing less than 150Watts even with the 17inch CRT ? then the table fan is rated at 55W and the tube light like 40 Watts if am correct ...so total 150+55+40 = 245Watts

Also called up the Microtek Service center and they connected me to their UPS guy he too says the same thing 150Ah + 850VA will get me 3-3.5 hrs backup with normal battery but with tubular he says the backup will be 4 hrs guaranteed....the charging after 4 hrs will be in the range of 10-11 hrs he said
<

I would take the load as 300W just to be on the safe side

And, the Microtek guy is quite correct this time.

As he said, the 150Ah battery may do for you, but it will get screwed up badly

I would advise you go for the following combo: SuKam 1.4KVA+2xnormal lead acid 150Ah batteries

Cost me around 22K, get the 130Ah batteries to fit in your budget

The batteries will probably last less than tubular batteries but should be fine for 2-3 years

At that point you can evaluate your usage and get appropriate batteries

Otherwise would advice you get a 200Ah battery which will not be deep cycled so much

^ I assume this will be till the kudankulam nuclear power plant comes into operation. Will be the case throughout this summer (TN all year summer
<
).

I second mehrotra.akash suggestion btw. Lesser the cycle better for the battery.

Dude. UPS batteries are definitely gonna sky rock with the announced power cut. Buy it sooner and get Tall tubular battery 150 Ah from exide or base terminal. 60% should be your max drain in the battery and for best service life 80% discharge of the rated capacity. Occasional deep discharge is fine. For your requirement better buy a laptop or tablet then use inverter for fan, lite and tv. The battery can serve you for atleast 5~6 years.

I had installed inverter system 2 months before. The battery name is JC Battery (150 Ah tall tubular) with 36+12 month warranty. Yesterday there was a total shutdown from 8Am ~ 6PM. We have used PC for 2 hrs, 1 fan + 32 LCD TV + set top box for 3 hrs, 2 TL for 1 hr.

Regards,

Vijay

Regards,

Vijay

i would suggest atleast 800va sine-wave inverter with 180ah tubular battery.

Which monitor do u have lcd or crt?

if lcd then it'll last 4+ hr.

3 hr cut then 3 hr supply X 2 + 1Hr cut then i Hr supply X 2

the battery will charge between these intervals and u can manage a interrupt free supply

The above battery is priced way too much. I had a shop quoting me (Exide Inva Tubular IT500) 9K - 11K (I dont remember) here in Bangalore / Chennai branch shop. Let me know if you want their number. They deliver to your door step.

Please give their chennai number...will tlak to them .thank you.

^ I assume this will be till the kudankulam nuclear power plant comes into operation. Will be the case throughout this summer (TN all year summer
<
).

I second mehrotra.akash suggestion btw. Lesser the cycle better for the battery.

Its the kudumkulam thats making me suffer - here in ma village it was 4 hrs before - now the power goes off from from 10-12 in the morning and 2-5 in the evening- then a couple of hrs in the night- its becoming intolerable now
<

Ok on the exide site it says the tubular batteries can withstand 1200 cycles of deep discharge....so even if i drain it daily wont it last me 3 yrs ? even if it lasts 2 yrs i can claim warranty and get a new battery no?

i would suggest atleast 800va sine-wave inverter with 180ah tubular battery.

Which monitor do u have lcd or crt?

if lcd then it'll last 4+ hr.

the battery will charge between these intervals and u can manage a interrupt free supply

I have a 17 inch CRT and yes i can get by with 3 hrs of uninterrupted supply as well....so from 12-6 PM i will have uninterrupted supply at least.

#sam000 this is OT but for how long are you getting this 8 hr cut?

The present chief minister is playing a double game - on the outside she gives statement that supports the protestors but practically she wants the people to turn against the protestors - thats what this all baout i think - at the end of the day its the poor people like me that suffer .You have come to the villages like mine to see how the poor people are suffering they have been hit hard by the recent hike in bus fares as well.It has become cheaper to travel anywhere on motorbike than by bus
<

#sam000

Ok on the exide site it says the tubular batteries can withstand 1200 cycles of deep discharge....so even if i drain it daily wont it last me 3 yrs ? even if it lasts 2 yrs i can claim warranty and get a new battery no?

If it specifically states 1200 deep discharge cycles, then yeah it should do

Would still advice something over 150Ah though. Maybe 180 Ah if thats available

#sam000

If it specifically states 1200 deep discharge cycles, then yeah it should do

Would still advice something over 150Ah though. Maybe 180 Ah if thats available

Yeah it says 1200 cycles for tubular battery but that was on the EXIDE EL series of batteries page though.....they cost a bomb like i was quoted Rs 19000 but comes with 60 months replacement warranty - IT500 too is tubular according to dealers but i dont know maybe someone can clarify on that part - thats why i equated that claim made by exide on their EL battery page to IT500
<

EDIT : ajust found this info on thr excide site :

IT500 page :

Suited for use in areas of frequent power cuts (800 to 1000 cycles of deep discharge as against 300/400 cycles of other batteries)

http://www.exide4u.com/exide/JSP/masters/apnpro/inva_tubular.htm

So even if i drain it daily it will last for 2 yrs minimum according to exide right ?

If your pc is only used for browsing and reading ebooks during the power cut and you are looking at spending 15k+ on an inverter/ups then why not get a netbook? I am sure it will suffice just fine
<
Or better yet, get an e-reader. The kindle has a 1 month of battery-life but sadly a crappy web-browser
<

I'm using the APC BI1000I with 2X150ah Exide InvaSafe batteries for the past 6 months. (costed around 22k)

* first know the switch-over time of the inverters. generally many inverters can't switch-over fast enough for a PC. UPS does that well. (<20ms)

my inverter can't switch-over fast enough if PC is at full load (like playing games) no problem with low loads.

* dont get tubular or normal lead-acid batteries if you are going to store them in-doors without ventilation for the fumes.

_

I'd suggest getting a cheap netbook for about Rs.13,000 + a cheap inverter for your fan and lights.

You'll have a back-up computer that gives you about 6hrs of battery life, and you won't need to worry so much about when your inverter batteries will give up.

Here's the information you requested :-

http://www.nyfebattery.com/

Also, here is the online store to buy Exide Inverter batteries. These are SMF (if im not mistaken) and have a 2 year warranty. 150AH 2 year warranty = Rs.9500 (you dont have to pay online)

http://www.exidereachout.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10420

Oh and keep in mind that a lot of Inverters come with the "UPS" feature.

Just avoid deep discharges or buy an extra battery. As long as you have power for 4 hours you should be satisfied with that, and switch it off for the remaning time and take a nap
<
. And also keep in mind that the more battery's you have the more your electric bill will go up by (not significant, as I havent done the math, but you should see it).

Enjoy =)

Sorry for the late reply - was away
<

Now after running from pillar to post finally managed to get the lowest quote for sukam inverters - this is the best i could manage in the present situation :

Sukam distributor in vellore is giving 15% discount on both inverter and battery...the prices mentioned include the discount :

Sukam 1400VA : 8245

lead acid battery : 135 Ah : 8780

150Ah : 9503

Tubulat : 180Ah : 14442

Even if i go for the 130ah normal battery it comes to 25K
<
...they all have jacked up the prices taking advantage of the powercut situation in TN
<

How much are you spending to reduce your power consumption? Efficient fans, laptop? Also it would be great if you can schedule usage of power hungry devices (geyser, washing machine etc) between 9pm-8am (nonpeak hours).

For that kind of money - might as well get a genset with a small UPS.

Back