Graphic Cards 8600GT mkv file 1080p playback stutter

plsoft

Adept
Today i bought BIG 8600gt 256MB GDDR3 from Nehru Place. Video playback for 1080p HD mkv (h264) file is not smooth at all :huh: . When i checked the task manager the cpu usage shoots up to almost 100%, which means the hd decoding work is not offloaded to the GPU. I'm using the latest K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, latest nvidia driver, media player classic, media player 11 and bsplayer. Can anyone help me out with this problem?

plsoft said:
Today i bought BIG 8600gt 256MB GDDR3 from Nehru Place. Video playback for 1080p HD mkv (h264) file is not smooth at all :huh: . When i checked the task manager the cpu usage shoots up to almost 100%, which means the hd decoding work is not offloaded to the GPU. I'm using the latest K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, latest nvidia driver, media player classic, media player 11 and bsplayer. Can anyone help me out with this problem?

did you install pure video or not?

whoaa, 100% CPU usage..
8600GT does support full H.264 decoding but lacks VC-1 decoding, Since you are playing at 1080p(1920x1080), here VC-1 decoding for HD is comletely taken up by CPU..It can be reason that you getting 100% CPU usage..:D:

i had this prob earlier...when CHIP magizine provided a HD 2GB video (not with h.264).i was also getting same prob with my onboard x1250 ati chip.Then i formatted the installed the new XP.After that ,It was gone playing smoothly.THE PROBLEM WAS I had so many CODECS pack and many video player previously.

From where you got the HD content ??

Try this HD from microsoft ---

WMV HD Content Showcase

currently i was using a xfx 8600GT no problems :)

This is strange, i have no slutter, CPU utilization stays below 15% while watching HD content. I have a E2140 and Gecube HD3450.

Finished installing WinDVD 8 Platinum Trial and guess what, it CAN'T play mkv file :mad: . Now downloading PowerDVD Trial, hope it works.
rockfella said:
This is strange, i have no slutter, CPU utilization stays below 15% while watching HD content. I have a E2140 and Gecube HD3450.
What's the format of yur HD content? Maybe nvidia and ati handles them differently?

Try to use 'Community Codec Pack' so as to be able to play .mkv files in Windows media player and probably other players as well. Nvidia Decoder should work here. Just for info, PowerDVD also doesn't support native .mkv format.

Download the Community Codec Pack from here:

Free-Codecs.com :: Combined Community Codec Pack ( CCCP ) 2008.01.24 : CCCP is a filter pack built for playing anime

I am able to play hd videos without any shutters or lag in Vista.

I think it's a problem with the codecs. Just reinstall all codecs after doing a clean uninstall and it should work fine mate.

Check out this:

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Forget about the purevideo HD troubles. Just use coreavc next time to play your HD files. Use CCCP(ffdshow decoder) for other files for maximum video quality :D

clown_abhi said:
Try to use 'Community Codec Pack' so as to be able to play .mkv files in Windows media player and probably other players as well. Nvidia Decoder should work here. Just for info, PowerDVD also doesn't support native .mkv format.
Download the Community Codec Pack from here:
Free-Codecs.com :: Combined Community Codec Pack ( CCCP ) 2008.01.24 : CCCP is a filter pack built for playing anime

I am able to play hd videos without any shutters or lag in Vista.
I think it's a problem with the codecs. Just reinstall all codecs after doing a clean uninstall and it should work fine mate.

Check out this:
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Your screenshot is for a 720p movie. My cpu can handle 720p even with my onboard graphics, the problem is with 1080p. Nways i installed CCCP but no change, thanks nyways.

broar94 said:
Forget about the purevideo HD troubles. Just use coreavc next time to play your HD files. Use CCCP(ffdshow decoder) for other files for maximum video quality :D
The problem is not of codec but assigning the decoding work to the dedicated GPU and not the CPU.

found this info ...give a try

EVR (DxVA2) + Vista + cyberlink h.264/avc decoder (pdvd7.x) + 8600GT + High/superspeed mode

Visit to the following link. The article is written by korean but just pay attention to the screenshots.
It's not my test but refer to the screenshots. The result is quiet amazing..

http://www.parkoz.com/zboard/view.ph...c=asc&no=23096

.tp (h264, 1920*1080i 9Mbps clip)
.mov (h264, 1920*1080P 24frame)
.avi (h264, 1920*1080 10Mbps)

U can see in the below picture how 1080 video is offloaded by the CPU even with so many applications working simultaneously.

Check if Media Player can play 1080p video. If yes, check which decoder is working on ur taskbar?

Guys i've found the solution. I simply followed post #5 of this thread and video playback is smooth now, though cpu usage is still high (maybe cos of my slow proc?).

I will again mention here that your problm was coz 8600GT lacks VC-1 & your 1080p file seems to be VC-1 content based.Due to lack of VC-1 + weak CPU, high bitrate VC-1 stream can still eat up to close 100% of your CPU usage.anywayz whtz ur CPU usage now.

Back