Graphic Cards 8800 GTX + display corrupt - Help

bhaskarvyas001

Disciple
Hi friends,

Good things don't last for ever! Having said that I would like your help with the display problem I am facing. Since last week everything was working perfect. And then all of sudden this started occurring. Please take a look at the images below for what is happening.
> When the computer starts I get some junk characters all over my screen.
> When window starts there are set of vertical blue lines all over the screen.

Googled and tried all sort of solution I could find on the net but to no good. I am not able to figure out the cause. Please help me identify and resolve it. This is very displeasing :-( plz plz plz help...

My system config is:
MB: Abit IP35-E
processor : Intel E8400
Ram: 2GB
Graphics card: 8800GTX

Things I have tried so far,
1. Installed latest graphics driver from NVIDIA site (Ver: 260.99)
2. Used driver sweeper to clean and install graphics driver
3. Install old version of graphics driver
4. Removed / cleaned graphics card and RAM of dust

When computer starts (Junk characters on the screen)
Photo1145.jpg

Some time in between computer start
Photo1143.jpg

When windows is starting (Blue lines)
Photo1140.jpg

finally, lines stay when windows is running
Photo1142.jpg

Ok, Accepted the hard fact that it is gone bad. It is also no more under warranty.

But I want to know the possible reasons for this happening?

It was working just fine the other day and all of a sudden these lines started appearing.

This is going to be a huge loss :-(

Also, is it possible to get the card repaired some how if not RMAed ??? I know it is not but still.... may be......??

It looks like bad video ram. You can try modifying the cards bios to change the voltage (upping)/frequency(lowering) of both the ram and gpu..but first try doing it in windows using the nvidia utility. That may help to make your computer usable for a while, but you're going to have to replace it eventually.
Repairing it may be possible, but not worth it. You'll have to find a decent hardware repair shop, and there'll be no guarantee how long the fix will last. Just buy a new card...you'll get a 5670 for ~5000 bucks, and it'll perform close to you 8800.

Damn! My faithful 8800GTX finally gave up it appears. R.I.P. :-(

The symptoms are possible indications of faulty RAM chips. Deepak, could you check this on another system just to be sure?

What power supply were you using with this card? Possible reasons could be overheating of the GPU/RAM chips due to the dry thermal paste. When was the last time you replaced the thermal paste?

Exactly the same issue with my HD4850. It was working fine one minute and the next, I see corruptions all over my screen and its gone. Same junk characters and vertical blue lines - Its the RAM and not the chip. I cleaned and reapplied thermal paste on the chip to check - Same issue. I should have taken it seriously when my GPU memory temps started hitting 70 degrees few months back :(

Took it for granted and have paid for it now. Atleast yours boots into Windows - Mine does not even do that !! BSOD due to graphic driver and restarts.

Desecrator said:
Damn! My faithful 8800GTX finally gave up it appears. R.I.P. :-(

The symptoms are possible indications of faulty RAM chips. Deepak, could you check this on another system just to be sure?

What power supply were you using with this card? Possible reasons could be overheating of the GPU/RAM chips due to the dry thermal paste. When was the last time you replaced the thermal paste?

Checked on other system too. The problem persists.. :-(

I am using a coolermaster 600W. Even I suspect the reason to be overheating. Actually I did not replace the thermal paste even once after you gave it to me. I know I had been foolish or rather lazy to not do it. And finally the card gave up to the scorching heat of Gurgaon!! Alas!!

Up for next card purchase!!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

CA50 said:
I read this issue somewhere, Try the OVEN TRICK ;), that might cure ur card.

Here have a look THE- OVEN TRICK - WORKED - Overclockers Forums
@CA: Interesting option but I don't have a Oven though.. :-/

I think its the VRAM of the GPU.....Same thing happened to my GTS250 ....but thankfully it was under warranty...So, I got it rms'ed ..but when I asked them what excactly was the issue they told me that 1 vram chip got damaged...

I am not sure on this but this might be a possibility...

^Problem is that power supply doesn't supply 600W of clean power like the others (the better ones i.e.) do. There is an entire thread dedicated to it in the PC Peripherals section.

Anyhow, change that to another unit from Corsair/Seasonic and all should be fine in the future. :)

Arre its ur gpu dying .. same thing .. EXACTLY SAME THING ... happened to me with my 8800GTS 320mb a few months back .. I got it rma-ed and got a 9800GT 1GB in replacement :p .

Its dying re .. you have to let it go .. buy a new one .

Desecrator said:
^Problem is that power supply doesn't supply 600W of clean power like the others (the better ones i.e.) do. There is an entire thread dedicated to it in the PC Peripherals section.

Anyhow, change that to another unit from Corsair/Seasonic and all should be fine in the future. :)

Hmm... That means my next purchase should also include a better PSU for more safety in future...
@All: Thanks for the great advices :)

Back