90% of Gamers Don't Finish Their Games

Bluffmaster said:
I bet if you invested 2500 bucks in a title you would want to get your money's worth by playing every inch of it inspite of it not being such a good game..

That is exactly the case with me.

Since I play only originals (buying new/pre owned, trading) so I always have to choose my games wisely.

I almost always end up playing games that either are flagships like MGS, UC, KZ, Halo, GOW, GeOW, Infamous, Alan Wake, ME, AC, etc or other lesser known ones that have exceptional reviews like Vanquish, Bayonetta, etc.

So after paying for a game I tend to play it for long long hours.

I have got the Redeemed Trophy (PS3) for RDR which takes some effort and time, multiple playthroughs of ME2, UC2, etc.

Its really a highly gratifying experience to finish a well made long campaign game like RDR, ME2, GTA4.

There was a time when I would complete all the games which released every month, barring a few genres, which I didn't like. The only games I have picked up and shoved aside without second thought were Dead Rising and Crackdown.

I've often wondered if I should just download the playthrough videos of some games instead of downloading it and playing them myself :D

Completed all the games I have set hands on. Probably DOOM III was the only one. Frustrated. Never picked up FC 2 cause reviews were lame. There was more walking than shooting.

I finish only 10% of the games I buy/download. Mostly because I would rather like multiplayer action instead of continuing with the single-player story mode.
The 10% I usually finish have an exceptional thrill: Mafia, COD, etc.

The fact that you are in this section of TE or that you are even replying to this thread suggests that you are a hardcore/passionate gamer and therefore your viewpoint on this topic is pretty much moot as I am sure the majority of us like completing our games. But we must not forget that we are in a minority as far as the total number of gamers are concerned. There exists a much larger section of casual gamers out there who are also the most gullible at which most of the games these days are targeted, the result of which is a dumbed down gameplay with a short campaign. The key here is to convert a casual gamer into a hardcore gamer which can only be done by immersing them completely in an addictive game, hence the need for a good story along with some innovative and hardcore but ultimately fun gameplay.

Yes, the dumbing down of the games is being done by most developers in order to attract and appeal to a larger audience comprising mainly (fully?) of casual gamers who are more than happy to jump right in and decimate rather than spending time to learn the subtle art of gaming.

Niche games like Demon's Souls, Ninja Gaiden, etc don't find too many takers these days.

I think one way for the developers to go about this problem would be to make marked and considerable differences between the Easy, Default (Normal), and Difficult modes of gameplay.

That way everyone can be made happy.

But usually these differences are not that much marked.

I play only selective titles. I mostly go by their ratings. Once i start playing i desperately look forward for the ending :lol: So i don't really quit in-between :p Farcry is the only game which i haven't played despite finishing almost 75% or so.

I used to leave games mid-way earlier on. Now I manage to complete games cause I start and finish them soon.

It's when I start a game and for some reasons I don't play it for a long time, I just tend to lose interest in it some how and I end up uninstalling it.

It happens with almost all racing titles. :p I played Assassin's Creed 2 quite a bit and then left it midway. Gonna have to do something about Amnesia, haven't played that in a long while.

Also I only play games with good reviews, so I don't have to stop playing because of bad gameplay. Though for Dead Rising 2 I had to leave it aside. :|

Yeah that reminds me of Dead Rising 2 as well. Left it quite soon since I did not find it good for my liking.

For those who left playing Amnesia, I don't know what to say! :p It's an awesome horror title. One of a kind.

Yeah Dead Rising 2 was boring as hell..Wonder how it appeals to so many people..Couldnt sit and finish RDR as well(managed only 45%)..Its a brilliant game nonetheless..

What to say? Am a sucker for new releases but always go back to complete a game if I leave it unfinished :p

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

^^ I did not complete Gothic 3, the game was so broken [quest-keys, dialogue branches], that even after getting the Gothic Universe from Australia I was unable to complete it.

Some games are simply fun to play occasionally. Dead Rising 2 is one such game, the story is pretty non existent therefore whenever I am in a mood for some zombie slashing, I boot up DR 2.

Gannu said:
Yeah that reminds me of Dead Rising 2 as well. Left it quite soon since I did not find it good for my liking.

For those who left playing Amnesia, I don't know what to say! :p It's an awesome horror title. One of a kind.

I didn't 'leave' Amnesia. :p
I had started playing it and then got caught up with lots of things at home so didn't find the time. Need to resume playing it.
Also currently playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Back