Budget 0-20k A build for watching 4K HDR bluray movies

raman.bhadu

Market Restricted
Disciple
I want to build a PC
My budget is 16-17 thousand for the processor and motherboard only.
I have my HDD and all other hardware.
The requirement is to watch 4K HDR movies ripped and stored in my HDD.
I have few doubts.
if I go with i3-10100 and the H410 motherboard has only HDMI-1.4, not HDMI-2.0. I don't have any external GPU and not going to buy one.
Does HDMI 1.4 works flawlessly with those 50-100mbps 4K HDR movies or is there any other method to work out this.

Can I use Intel i5 8400 with gigabyte z370m which has only HDMI 1.4 port?

I know the differences between 1.4 and 2.0. I am asking that the intel says that the processor after 7 gen can play 4K HDR movies but every motherboard has a 1.4 port. When looking on the internet I found that HDMI 2.0 is required to play 4K HDR. Then how these intel processors are playing 4K HDR with motherboard having 1.4 ports.

The CPU are capable as long as the rest of the hardware is capable. I have a gen 8 CPU and a Gigabyte H370N board with HDMI 2.0. So not sure where you have been looking. HDMI 1.4 can do 4k but not HDR. But then you would also need a HDR capable display.

Last edited:
The CPU are capable as long as the rest of the hardware is capable. I have a gen 8 CPU and a Gigabyte H370N board with HDMI 2.0. So not sure where you have been looking. HDMI 1.4 can do 4k but not HDR. But then you would also need a HDR capable display.
I am getting a 4K HDR-capable TV for that but the thing I want to confirm is what can I do to H410 Motherboard with hdmi1.4 output 4K HDR movies.

I am getting a 4K HDR-capable TV for that but the thing I want to confirm is what can I do to H410 Motherboard with hdmi1.4 output 4K HDR movies.
The CPU may be capable - but the link to the display (i.e. HDMI 1.4) does not support 4k hdr
Your options are limited to either choosing a better motherboard/ GPU that has DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.0b - or getting a streaming box instead

I am assuming this will also be a smart TV. How big of a rip are we talking about? I have played 16-20GB rips with 17 Mbps bitrate and don't need any external hardware and the TV itself is able to play those rips.

I am assuming this will also be a smart TV. How big of a rip are we talking about? I have played 16-20GB rips with 17 Mbps bitrate and don't need any external hardware and the TV itself is able to play those rips.
Highest possible quality same as bluray disk

yes, but a little more detail helps.
you got a clear response from superczar on capability vs reality with intel.
only go for hdmi2.0 supported HW. suggest amd checks as they handle this better including 4k + HDR + 10bit as reqd

also depends on SW you are planning - linux has known issues with Intel chips to truly output anything more than 8 bit on the HDMI chipset using LSCON HW used on intel boards.
Windows is again a hit and miss unless you have explicit HDMI 2.0

ideally a smart tv hsould be able to do this and auto switch to HDR if on android with the right app for playback and might be a better option via USB direct on TV

yes, but a little more detail helps.
you got a clear response from superczar on capability vs reality with intel.
only go for hdmi2.0 supported HW. suggest amd checks as they handle this better including 4k + HDR + 10bit as reqd

also depends on SW you are planning - linux has known issues with Intel chips to truly output anything more than 8 bit on the HDMI chipset using LSCON HW used on intel boards.
Windows is again a hit and miss unless you have explicit HDMI 2.0

ideally a smart tv hsould be able to do this and auto switch to HDR if on android with the right app for playback and might be a better option via USB direct on TV
The main question is that I am asking is how the intel cpu can output 4K HDR movies when there boards have hdmi1.4. Is that done through display port or usb type c or any other way. I want to build pc with 5-7k rupee motherboard. Is it necessary to go a motherboard like ibose said 370N or is any other way someone using.

I don't think it would have any problem doing that. I'll download a 40gb print and let you know. Or you can just buy an Android box/Fire Stick 4k instead of a full PC. If you had any other uses for the PC, I would say go for it. I was using my laptop for movie playback till very recently, but since it was an old machine, it started having issues playing these 16-17GB h265 prints. And then I was pleasantly surprised to find that both my phone and my new TV can play the same prints without any problem.

Thanks for every suggestion. I bought i5-8400 withZ-370 which has C type port. I will use C to hdmi cable. Mods, please close the thread.

Congrats. I couldn't update earlier, but I tested a 50GB print of Avengers Endgame which was a 52Mbps print on my Android TV and it was able to play it fine. So in the future, you can use any Android box as well.
Thanks for your effort.

Congrats. I couldn't update earlier, but I tested a 50GB print of Avengers Endgame which was a 52Mbps print on my Android TV and it was able to play it fine. So in the future, you can use any Android box as well.

Having Type C port doesn't automatically mean that it supports display output through the type C port. Did you check if that is supported?

Back